News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mars gets a rectal thermometer

Started by flyinlow, November 27, 2018, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

The Insight Lander touched down last night on Mars.  :2thumbs: After its solar panels extend it will get ready to hammer a temperature probe 5 meters into the ground to measure how fast heat migrates up from the core of the planet. Good to know how much geothermal energy is available  for when we occupy Mars latter this century.

They did not mention if they used lube on the probe.

draftingmonkey

Better hope the martians do not live beneath the surface. Think how you would feel if an alien craft were to land on your planet and then proceed to "probe" you. Could be the start of the war of the worlds.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

69rtse4spd

John_Kunkel

Quote from: flyinlow on November 27, 2018, 08:42:32 PM
They did not mention if they used lube on the probe.

And definitely no kiss before insertion.  :D
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

Mankind has a lot of work to do to figure out how to make a frozen desert habitable.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: JB400 on December 06, 2018, 05:24:00 AM
Mankind has a lot of work to do to figure out how to make a frozen desert habitable.

When you look at some of the inhospitable places on Earth where humans have been living for centuries it's not such a stretch. Of course, even those places have breathable air.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

We may eventually build a viable habitat on Mars.  

But don't ask us to tackle Flint Michigan. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Wow, Mars is the size of an oversize beach ball. I did not know that.