News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel pump push rod

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, February 09, 2019, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I am replacing my fuel pump push rod. The one on the right is the one I just took out of the car. With this push rod, the volume test failed. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel sending unit and confirmed I don't have an air leak. The one on the left obviously wrong I got from Advance. The one that came out of the car looks fine but has unequal machined ends. What end goes towards the cam? Or does it matter? How long should the fuel pump rod be? Before I took the rod out, I disconnected the fuel line to the carb and turned the engine over for 15 seconds. Not a drop of fuel was being pushed to the carb. The rod that came out of the car is 3".

Thanks for the help guys

Lawrence

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yup that rod is worn down 1/4".   Should be approx 3.25" long when new.  The machined ends should be equal.. Obviously the one on the left is incorrect....

Mancini Racing sells the correct ones....buy 2 & leave one in the glove box.

https://www.manciniracing.com/stfupupub426.html

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BSB67

I think you keep referring to two different push rods as " the one out of the car"  a little confusing.  Or maybe you mean the one on the left?

They are symmetrical, and are about 3.22" long new from Chrysler.  My used ones all measure about 3.215"

In case you don't know, the one on the right was the correct length at one time

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: BSB67 on February 09, 2019, 11:17:03 AM
I think you keep referring to two different push rods as " the one out of the car"  a little confusing.  Or maybe you mean the one on the left?

They are symmetrical, and are about 3.22" long new from Chrysler.  My used ones all measure about 3.215"

Sorry for the confusion. I was typing from my phone too quick. I updated the post.

I will get one ordered.

Thanks for the help

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: BSB67 on February 09, 2019, 11:17:03 AM

I looked closer at the push rod, and the worn end is obvious. When I first looked at it I thought, hmmm...looks ok but not.

BSB67

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 09, 2019, 11:26:37 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I was typing from my phone too quick. I updated the post.

Well, you got me beat, I usually can't get it right sitting at my computer with my keyboard.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

chargerbr549

One thing I would do is make sure you are running a race oil with the zinc ZDDP additive in it or if you are running a modern passenger car oil that doesn't have very much in it I would add a bottle of ZDDP for a good insurance policy on helping the fuel pump pushrod survive.

Sixt8Chrgr

Well after chasing this problem of having to prime my carb to start my car after sitting 12 hours has finally ended :yesnod: The culprit was the fuel pump push rod. It was .22 inches too short which made a big enough difference where the pump would not push enough fuel up to the carb. My car still takes a little while to start after sitting but I believe that to be the common evaporation of fuel. Glad this is finally fixed!

I am running oil that has ZDDP added.