News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird and Daytona

Started by krops cars, February 11, 2019, 05:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krops cars

Wondering where Elmer Duelman's Super bird and Daytona went?

hergfest

Still at the museum.  Stopped by about a year ago, cool place.

krops cars

I ran into him at cancer treatment. He told me he sold them all. Even told me what he had to pay in taxes.

MoPaR 312

I heard from a local "car guy" that they were sold as well.  He said the wing cars sold for "a million bucks".  I have no idea if that is true just what I was told.  I didn't ask a ton of questions.

RiverRaider

When I talked to him he kept the price and the buyer to himself.  My understanding is that the custom hauler was part of the deal.
I don't believe the 500 sold with the other two cars. Here is a pic of another of Elmers Chargers back in the day.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

krops cars

He is a great guy. When I was younger I was getting parts from him. One of his buddies were there and started telling me a story. He said they came to Arcadia on night with the Daytona or Super Bird. They were drinking. He bought a car for his salvage yard. They left there car there to pick up next day. The guy said they went back to Fountain City. They went so fast when Elmer asked if they wanted to go back out no one would ride with him. After the story Elmer looks at me and says. I still don't know where that car is I bought. That is funny right there.

wstool

Both cars and the hauler went to a private collector.He still has the 500. I was there in the fall just after he sold them. Ive know him for years. He is a great guy.

krops cars

I ran into a guy I want to say 9 months ago. He said the cars were nice but the under sides were real rusty from being in the pole sheds. He said he helped Elmer with his cars. I was curious if this was b.s.or not.

RiverRaider

Quote from: krops cars on February 13, 2019, 05:39:31 PM
I ran into a guy I want to say 9 months ago. He said the cars were nice but the under sides were real rusty from being in the pole sheds. He said he helped Elmer with his cars. I was curious if this was b.s.or not.
It's not a climate controlled facility.  The last time I seen one of them on the hoist the exhaust had scale they were cleaning it off with a wire brush.  I can believe that would be the case again as far as exhaust, parking brake cables, brake lines etc.  Everyone has a different level of "really rusty" years ago really rusty to me was holes in the quarters now it's frame rails are gone so it would be hard to say what his thinking of really rusty is.  I wonder if its the same "helper" that spilled the brake fluid on one of them that ate up some paint, I recall Elmer not happy about that.  One thing about Elmer's cars for the most part are not #1 restored cars that were placed in storage.  For many they were drivers he enjoyed and then stored.  Of all his cars I still like the 500 best.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.