News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aero Car Display 2019 Indianapolis World of Wheels

Started by taxspeaker, February 11, 2019, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Over the weekend (2/8-10/2019) we took 4 of our 5 wing cars to the Indianapolis World of Wheels Car show. It is an indoor show held in 5 different wings of the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Crowds were huge-they estimated 60,000 over 3 days. The sponsors were very well organized, very friendly and the crowds were the most knowledgable of any car show I have ever participated in. The facilities are sadly not very good and the food is atrocious.

With 4 wing cars the sponsors were excited to give us a great location and allowed us to move in a day early. We loaded during a blinding rainstorm with 40-50 mph winds, pulled everything to Indy ( 2 and 1/2 hours away), unloaded, and drove home that night. When we unloaded the weather, if possible was even worse before we could finish, again driving rain, then sleet, then just cold. We got up early Thursday morning and drove back up to setup and enjoy seeing the other cars before the show opened Friday. There were only (to my count) 8 other Mopars in the whole show: a beautiful lime 71 Cuda, another nice light blue Cuda, a 70 Charger, 2 late models and a couple of old Mopars.

The crowd was incredibly nice, lots of questions and stories and pictures. I had printed up a bunch of T-shirts with a picture of Wing Cars on the front and the accomplishments (with names of Glotzbach, Baker, etc) and speeds and other stuff on the back and gave most of them away to the people that were genuinely interested in the cars.

On SUnday at move out time the weather was even more atrocious. 4" of snow plus below freezing and the normal move out mess, even though it was very well organized. We got home and had to unload in the same mess, clean the cars up and 7 hours after the show ended finally got to go home.

The Alaska highway Bird was flawless as usual, starting up, and driving on and off the trailer without problem.
The Daytona also was flawless, pulling on and off, starting and running fine.
The stealth Bird must have gotten rain driven into it. It was outside the trailer for over an hour in the weather and now has some major electrical issues as well as a fried clutch from the young man who told me he could drive a stick but couldn't. I did let one yuoung woman get her picture taken sitting on the wing.
The new purple people eater Hemi was also a real nostalgic hit in the hometown of its' 1970 Summernationals NHRA win! It is a difficult thing to drive but we have fixed the transmission leak and door locks so it is drivable and secure.

We had a 20' x 40' display. Black carpet on the floor and understated black PVC pipe to keep people away from the cars. AT each corner we set a Mopar 24" table and set on it an exact model of each car as well as a pictorial summary of the car, its history, owners and pictures of broadcast sheets and other stuff.

I will attach several pictures here and the next response. Sadly, not one person from this user group stopped by to talk.

taxspeaker

taxspeaker

taxspeaker

Lighthorseman

Outstanding.  I love the stance of the "purple people eater."   :2thumbs:

Birdflu

Wish it were closer...I would have stopped by and said Hi!  :cheers:

birdsandbees

Neat Bob, bought yourself a transporter did you!?  :icon_smile_big:

A little far for me to drive for a show..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

djcarguy

The cars ,display an models are all very cool.  Any close up pixs of models would bee cool,too.

that is the kind of hauler you need an a vintage Dodge semi to pull it.    :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: DJ    :2thumbs:

Stevetona

Bring your cars to Mopar Fest in Ontario next year. I'll spend the whole day with you and your cars.   :icon_smile_big:

JB400

Nice shade of grey.  Not a common colour put on a bird

WINGIN IT

Nice job Bob.
Thanks for the pics.
Wish I could have gone, maybe next event.
Spent some quality time with my daughter who was home this weekend.

taxspeaker

Quote from: djcarguy on February 11, 2019, 10:42:40 PM
   The cars ,display an models are all very cool.  Any close up pixs of models would bee cool,too.

that is the kind of hauler you need an a vintage Dodge semi to pull it.    :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: DJ    :2thumbs:

I would buy one if I could find a good one! King cab, rollback with hitch and diesel. Almost bought a Ford equivalent but couldn't quite fall to that low level.

hemi68charger

Hey Bob..

Having been to a ton or World of Wheels and Houston Auto Shows, I appreciate the effort and potential cost associated with such a display.... Sorry to hear about the clutch on Stealthy... Bring her to my house, I'll fix it.....  :icon_smile_big:

Wish I was closer, I would have loved to chit-chat.... But, Houston is a little bit of a drive and this is the 1st I heard of this....  ;D

Glad all cars and you got back home... Sometimes these cars can give you an ulcer (driving home once with my 1st C500 the amp gauge shorted out and the whole dash harness went up in smoke while I was driving home on Hwy 290).

Cheers,
T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

billssuperbird

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Not easy to bring one car out in the middle of winter.   Let alone four of them in adverse conditions.   Nice display.   

Seabeckredneck

What an awesome display! I grew up in Griffith Indiana but live in Washington state. Had I been back there and known about this show, I would have stopped by for a closer look!
Thanks for all your troubles in sharing the beautiful cars. That is so cool!

Aero426

Quote from: Seabeckredneck on February 15, 2019, 03:16:28 AM
What an awesome display! I grew up in Griffith Indiana but live in Washington state. Had I been back there and known about this show, I would have stopped by for a closer look!

If you grew up in Griffith, this place might look familiar to you.

held1823

i stopped attending that show decades ago.  would have made the trip this year, had i known.

i did win a set of radial t/a tires there back in the 80's. perfect timing, as i was just getting the super bee on the road.
235's for the front, 275's on the rear, and not a penny spent. good times
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Seabeckredneck

Quote from: Aero426 on February 15, 2019, 03:49:59 PM
Quote from: Seabeckredneck on February 15, 2019, 03:16:28 AM

If you grew up in Griffith, this place might look familiar to you.

Yes! but unfortunately I didn't know about it when I lived there! I do know exactly where it is since it was a small town. Later I asked my dad, since we used to watch NASCAR races every weekend, why didn't you tell me about that place!?!?! He knew about it since he was a big NASCAR fan but never thought anything about it. I would have loved to take a peek inside and see the rows of Hemis!
I do remember seeing a NASCAR Daytona in an old service station garage somewhere between Griffith and Crown Point. It was for sale for 10 Grand! I tried to convince my dad to get it but back then, 10 grand was a lot of money. Oh if I had a time machine and could go back....

garner7555

That is a great looking display!   :2thumbs:  You don't normally see 4 wing cars at any one show (unless it's an all Mopar show).   I just attended the World of Wheels in Birmingham, AL last weekend.  There was one room dedicated to only Mopars (a little over 50 cars) called "Mopar Madness".  It was my first show since completing assembly on my car.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

taxspeaker

What a beautiful display that was!! Wish I could have seen it.

djcarguy

Quote from: garner7555 on February 16, 2019, 07:53:34 AM
That is a great looking display!   :2thumbs:  You don't normally see 4 wing cars at any one show (unless it's an all Mopar show).   I just attended the World of Wheels in Birmingham, AL last weekend.  There was one room dedicated to only Mopars (a little over 50 cars) called "Mopar Madness".  It was my first show since completing assembly on my car.

Any more pix from other end an of Wing cars ?? :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

taxspeaker

Try these:
The 2 with 4 wing cars are from our own sponsored all Mopar show. They are:
Alpine White Alaska Highway Superbird just back from restoration 440-4 barrel automatic console
Y2 Yellow Daytona 440-4 barrel 4 speed console
Orange Hemi Superbird from Owensboro KY
White Daytona, leaded in nose, from New Albany IN

The other one is from Anchorage AK-previously unpublished drive by of Alaska highway Bird