News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to INSTALL Flowmaster DUAL EXHAUST ?

Started by yxkullsgatan, March 13, 2019, 05:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yxkullsgatan

Hello,

I 'd like to know all the parts I need to install a Flowmaster dual exhaust system on my 318 5.2L 1973 Dodge Charger please ?

I saw those tailpipes :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Flowmaster-1962-1974-Mopar-Prebent-Tailpipes-2-5-Rear-Exit-Pair/191630916505?hash=item2c9e17bb99:g:pSsAAOSwXetZSBUQ

And those mufflers :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Flowmaster-42441-40-Series-Muffler-2-25-Offset-In-2-25-Center-Out-Aggr-Sound/132310030971

How many clamps/brackets I would need, also Gaskets ? What else ?

Thanks in advance guys.

metallicareload99

I'm not trying to be offensive, but you'll need more than two mufflers, two tailpipes and some clamps and hangers to make an exhaust  :shruggy:

Do you already have dual exhaust and are wanting to go to fartmasters and new or bigger tailpipes?  Are you going to cut, bend and weld the rest of the exhaust to use with the links you provided?  Again, not trying to offend, but the question you ended with tells me no.

My Charger came from the factory with a 318 and single exhaust.  When I bought it it had dual 2" exhaust.  When I put the 440 in it, I also installed a complete header back TTI 2.5" exhaust kit at the same time.  That kit came with almost everything I needed with one exception: because the car was built single exhaust nobody put a real exhaust hanger on the drivers side, so I had to buy that.  As complete and as nice as that kit is, I still took it to the exhaust shop after install to have most of the joints welded together and a few other things tweaked.

Depending on how much you are willing and able to modify parts vs spending money, I would suggest getting a complete kit specific to your car.  Otherwise, I would assume you will have to do some modifications to what you have and what you'll buy to finish your install  :Twocents:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

yxkullsgatan

Thanks @metallicareload99 !

I'm not offended at all, I needed a reply. No I have a single exhaust, the original one.

I'd like to get rid of the single exhaust in order to put this flowmaster dual exhaust with the flow master mufflers. Of course I know it needs to be welded, cut and bend. No problem it's obvious, that's why I'm asking what kind of parts I need except clamps hangers tailpipes and mufflers.

So you think it's better to buy a complete system, I actually liked to do it this way, but Flowmaster doesn't sell it for 73 dodge charger 318 5.2l, and I love the sound of the flow master mufflers, so I was thinking to buy the flow masters tailpipes as well... But again, for sure, I need to know what else I have to buy to get this complete exhaust system. I don't want to change my originals headers I'd like to keep them.

And thanks again for your reply I do appreciate @metallicareload99 !

Gold Rush

You may have to have someone manufacture a set of exhaust manifold to crossover pipe.   My '74 400 had single exhaust but was able to purchase these pipes and eliminate the original set up.  I did a little searching and do not see any 318 dual exhaust OEM to 2.5 inch ss exhaust systems.  I'm betting most good exhaust shops can hook you up the. 

BTW I'd suggest an "X" Pipe cross over.  Get a bit of power boost and nice sound!!    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  :icon_smile_big:
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

yxkullsgatan

Thanks @Gold Rush !

Ok maybe I should ask to a shop, I've heard about year one, so I'm going to send them a message and I'll see.

So X pipe is better than H pipe ?

I do appreciate you answered to me !!

Gold Rush

My '74 has never been on a dyno but some claim 15 to 20 hp gain using the X pipe.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

yxkullsgatan

Nice ! @Gold Rush

I have to find somewhere a complete dual exhaust system for a 318 73 Dodge Charger...

CDN72SE

Here is a diagram you can check out from Accurate. http://www.accurateltd.com/1971-74-B-Body-340360-Complete-Exhaust-System_p_170.html.

Good luck with your exhaust there in France.
1972 Charger SE

ACUDANUT

yxkullsgatan

yxkullsgatan

ACUDANUT

I see your from France.  :cheers:
Isn't there a shop that does this kind of work. ?

yxkullsgatan

hello @ACUDANUT

Yes we do have shops doing dual exhaust, but it's very expensive and sometimes it's not very well done, because they are not so used to american cars.

So I have my friend who's fixing my cars can do it for me and it'll cost me less than a shop, that's why I'm asking what I'll have to buy for this specific car because I love the flowmaster sound, I got it on my 73 fastback Gran Torino and it sounds so nice !

303 Mopar

I assume you have manifolds, so make sure you buy the correct full exhaust system that match up unless you want to switch to headers.  I have installed both TTI and Accurate exhaust systems and can say the Accurate system is very easy and straight forward. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

XH29N0G

I wonder if I saw your car last June in the car meet in Vincennes, First Sunday last June.  Good luck with the exhaust.  I have pieced together small parts of the exhaust system on my car using prebent pipes that I cut and exhaust band clamps (the ones that are about 2.5 inches long to make a better seal.  I expected it to leak, but it has not.  The most economical way might be to see if you can get a full exhaust kit (probably one made for the car) and then to see if people will weld it up, but you also might be able to find someone who can fabricate it.  I think the fabrication will be the cleanest route.  Enjoy the car.

accurate exhaust appears to have one without x pipe.  There may be generic ones from some of the other companies like summit.  And TTI has H pipes.

Actually,  it must have been another one bc it had different colors. You were the one who directed me to Vincennes.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

yxkullsgatan

Thanks @303 Mopar !

Well I'll keep my original headers, I don't want to switch for brand new one, yes I need a full complete dual exhaust system with clamps, gasket and everything to install it, but I do want to have flowmaster mufflers Serie 40, that's what I have on my 73 fastback Gran Torino and it sounds really nice and loud !

yxkullsgatan

Hello (again)@XH29N0G

Yes we talked about that last year, no it's not my Dodge Charger on the picture, mine is still "work in progress", I drive my 73 fastback Gran Torino, so if you saw one last time you were in Vincennes then it was me !

I saw that Charger it's a cool one. Do you plan to come back soon ? The next show cars in Vincennes will take in others locations now due to works on that place, I hope it's not gonna take ages...

Thanks for your tips about dual exhaust, I'm trying to see some companies in sweden I have a friend who's living there maybe he could bring it to me back in France with his 69 El Camino pickup He loves driving long distance with his classic cars, otherwise I'm still searching in the US some companies/shops doing a good price because the shipping and the custom fees cost a lot...