News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing washers

Started by 70 sublime, May 25, 2016, 09:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Rounding up the parts to mount my wing

Question about the wing washers

I have seen lots of pictures where the rear 1/4 of Daytona's are cut to get the washers out

Are the metal washers only welded in along the trunk opening lip ?

Any of you clone builders that used glass washers did you fasten them any way or just with the bolts from the wing ?

Any pro or con on using metal ones or glass washers ?

Where to get metal reproduction washers or glass washers ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Nwcharger

Janek sells fiberglass ones, I had a set on my clone and didn't really like them. I have original ones for my Daytona and are tons better than the fiberglass repos. From what I can see it looks like the originals were just tacked to the trunk gutter.
1969 coronet wagon

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 25, 2016, 09:19:02 PM

Any of you clone builders that used glass washers did you fasten them any way or just with the bolts from the wing ?

Just the studs/nuts from the wing.  :Twocents:

A383Wing

no wing washers on my car...just the 3 nuts and flat washers under the quarter panel to the body and wing supports

Lighthorseman

I seem to recall a thread in which someone used saran wrap and body filler to create a spacer that filled the void between the underside of the top of the quarter panel and the top of the fibreglass wing washer...

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Lighthorseman on May 26, 2016, 10:06:48 AM
I seem to recall a thread in which someone used saran wrap and body filler to create a spacer that filled the void between the underside of the top of the quarter panel and the top of the fibreglass wing washer...
I saw that too, might have been oldcarnut's thread. Here are my wing washers and support.

70 sublime

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 27, 2016, 05:43:30 PM
I saw that too, might have been oldcarnut's thread. Here are my wing washers and support.

Very nice

Is it bolted to the floor or just standing on it ?

Hemi Runner

It's just setting on it for now. It will get fully welded around the perimeter of the baseplate.

Lighthorseman

... Here are my wing washers and support.

Right click...save .  New wing washer install plan.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks, Mr.
Hemirunner!

Hemi Runner

Anytime. If you need more ideas, my build thread is on forbbodiesonly.com under the same name. 

oldcarnut

That was me but it was foil not wrap.  I'll post a pic off my phone when i resize it

More on page 2 Worked good for me
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53678.25.html

70 sublime

Quote from: oldcarnut on May 30, 2016, 01:00:28 PM
That was me but it was foil not wrap.  I'll post a pic off my phone when i resize it

More on page 2 Worked good for me
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53678.25.html

Is there another piece of channel on the bottom side of the wingwasher that the wing bolts down through and the braces also bolt to ?

oldcarnut

Here's a pic of the Janek washer I had. Top and bottom side just fiberglass.  The bolts run through it and a hole in the metal flange of the supports.  Nothing metal running across the whole underside.

rainbow4jd

Interesting.   Is the Superbird the same washers?     If you were redoing a Daytona you might be able to use the Superbird ones.   Just a thought.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: rainbow4jd on February 21, 2019, 08:43:46 PM
Interesting.   Is the Superbird the same washers?     If you were redoing a Daytona you might be able to use the Superbird ones.   Just a thought.

2 different "washers", size, shape, curvature, wing bolt pattern, etc, etc

rainbow4jd

Makes sense.    I was thinking if they were just tack welded in, there might not be a difference in the actual washer itself. 

I've been thinking myself about doing a clone (because I'm too scared to drive my original bird anymore).    So, these little things are starting to float around in my mind.

I guess I would need to take a close look at my bird to see exactly what they look like.   I wonder if they were a common manufacturing washer used in other applications at Chrysler.

I hate when my brain starts asking these crazy questions.   Now, I'll be obsessed until I find an answer!  ugh!

By the way - I've been a long time admirer of your build.