News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Color of fender tag.

Started by green69rt, February 12, 2019, 05:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

My car came with a black fender tag (F3 green body color.)  I seem to remember seeing cars with the fender tag painted engine bay color.  Just got my new tag from Datatags.com. looks perfect.  Now to put it on.

70 sublime

What was wrong with the original tag ?

Good to see the two tags side by side
Can see the letters and numbers are just a little fatter on the new one then the originals 

I thought all fender tags were painted the same colour as the car ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

birdsandbees

Should be body colour or at least a hint of body colour. Some assembly lines had them in place with one screw and bent up to get a shot of paint on the inner fender under the tag. I believe that's how the Hamtrack line worked and then a bare screw added for finally retention. 

The Lynch Road (Coronet) line hung them from the sun visor hole when they went through paint, they caught a bit of over spray at best and then were screwed in place further down the line.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

green69rt

Quote from: 70 sublime on February 12, 2019, 07:16:11 PM
What was wrong with the original tag ?

Good to see the two tags side by side

I thought all fender tags were painted the same colour as the car ?

There was nothing wrong with the original other than it was bent up a little.  I just wanted the original in my documentation book so I bought the reproduction to mount on the car.  I have heard about them being stolen.

The new one might look fatter because I was able to rub my finger across the old one to make the letters stand out so I could read them better.  Paint was thin and old.

There seems to be some faint marks in the upper right of the original, I can't make out.  Maybe just damage.

green69rt

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 12, 2019, 09:17:15 PM
Should be body colour or at least a hint of body colour. Some assembly lines had them in place with one screw and bent up to get a shot of paint on the inner fender under the tag. I believe that's how the Hamtrack line worked and then a bare screw added for finally retention. 

The Lynch Road (Coronet) line hung them from the sun visor hole when they went through paint, they caught a bit of over spray at best and then were screwed in place further down the line.

So maybe one screw painted and one bare.  That may not happen at my assembly plant.  :lol:

birdsandbees

Top right corner is not damage, probably inspector stamp(s).
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

green69rt

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 13, 2019, 11:00:33 AM
Top right corner is not damage, probably inspector stamp(s).

Datatag.com said that there was something there, they just couldn't tell what.  In any case, they couldn't duplicate it.  Another reason to keep the original.

Birdflu

Interesting information...  :scratchchin:

green69rt

Quote from: Birdflu on February 13, 2019, 11:50:18 AM

Interesting information...  :scratchchin:

Yeah, always something to learn.  And, who remembers this stuff!!

Mopar Nut

Quote from: green69rt on February 12, 2019, 05:16:43 PM
Just got my new tag from Datatags.com. looks perfect.  Now to put it on.

What did they charge to make a new tag? What type of payment? PayPal? Credit card?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

green69rt

$150 for the fender tag.  I think he wanted $400 for the VIN tag but not 100% sure.  He only takes checks or postal money orders.  If check, he will wait till it clears before returning tag.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: green69rt on March 17, 2019, 08:11:42 AM
$150 for the fender tag.  I think he wanted $400 for the VIN tag but not 100% sure.  He only takes checks or postal money orders.  If check, he will wait till it clears before returning tag.

Thank you.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."