News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is a rear end with "lockers" safe ?

Started by ACUDANUT, February 14, 2019, 09:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Just wondering if THOSE THAT HAVE THEM think.  :scratchchin:

Kern Dog

What is YOUR definition of "safe" ?
Are you in an area with a lot of snow and ice?
Are you a good driver?
What are your intentions for whatever vehicle you are working on?

ACUDANUT

Sorry, I meant safe on the road "street". 
Lockers spin at the same rate around corners, unlike Sure grips "aka" Posi's.  :shruggy:

Mike DC

The 4x4 crowd basically considers lockers safe on the street *IF* you drive the vehicle with that in mind.  The car will not handle like something sporty.  In a corner it kinda pushes (understeer) until it ratchets a step.  The power isn't coming from both rear tires smoothly/evenly unless you are rolling straight (or you are wheelspinning on a slippery surface).  

Lockers normally come with very stiff springs inside.  Ideally you only want them as stiff as necessary.  So there is probably room for softer ones if you aren't running some brutally stressing combo (like a 6000-lb truck with 44-inch mud tires.)  That won't do away with the drawbacks of a locker but it can help 'soften' it a bit.  

They used to sell some 'soft locker' versions with mechanical changes to smooth them out.  But those fell out of favor for being too weak.  I don't think anyone is making them anymore.

c00nhunterjoe

I ditched them for spools. Didnt like the clunks and pops of the locker and unpredictable launches if it didnt fully lock or unlock on a turn. If you are considering a locker, go with a spool. No unpredictability. I have 0 issues driving a spool on the street with fat tires out back and skinnies up front. It steers perfectly normal with 1 hand on the wheel. Only time you notice it is in parking lot manuevers and even that gives me no issue, just a little more throttle to make the turn. My last spool equipeed car with bfg radial ta tires had no problems at all in slow speed turns, you just got the "chirp chirp chitp" as it skipped the tire in a tight slow parking lot type turn. On the road it was not noticed at all.

ACUDANUT

Well, I am confused. My 4.11 does not "have very stiff springs inside". I don't see any springs inside. ..Maybe I can take a photo of my 489 case while it's open to look it and share you all.
cheers.  :cheers:

cdr

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 15, 2019, 05:25:56 PM
Well, I am confused. My 4.11 does not "have very stiff springs inside". I don't see any springs inside. ..Maybe I can take a photo of my 489 case while it's open to look it and share you all.

Dr Diff came out with a True Trac type that has the Helical gears, it is improved over the Eaton version, I have this type in my S60, street car it works awesome, no ratcheting or noise.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

A Detroit locker, blown apart. 

There are springs holding the two halves locked together.  When driving around a tight corner, the difference in tire speeds must overcome the springs (and let the two halves separate) for it to move over a notch.  The softer the springs, the more easily it comes unlocked, and the less notchy the operation.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 14, 2019, 09:17:11 PM

Seems you edited the post and highlighted key words. As i said, i HAD them and HATED them. SAFE? your defination and mine probably differ. Lockers have bee  available in certain dealership sold new trucks which by nhtsa makes them SAFE. But i dont like the unpredictability of them and the extra noise and popping. So i ask you, why are you considering one? There are better options in my opinion.

c00nhunterjoe

Your 489 is not a locker,the 489 is a cone style suregrip, he was referring the the springs inside a locker regarding how much torque it takes to open them to allow a ratchet in turns.

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 19, 2019, 08:03:54 AM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 14, 2019, 09:17:11 PM

Seems you edited the post and highlighted key words. As i said, i HAD them and HATED them. SAFE? your defination and mine probably differ. Lockers have bee  available in certain dealership sold new trucks which by nhtsa makes them SAFE. But i dont like the unpredictability of them and the extra noise and popping. So i ask you, why are you considering one? There are better options in my opinion.

LOL, I have used them & dont like them, is that better for you
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ACUDANUT

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 19, 2019, 11:42:18 AM

Your 489 is not a locker,the 489 is a cone style suregrip, he was referring the the springs inside a locker regarding how much torque it takes to open them to allow a ratchet in turns.

Well, CDR posted "Dr Diff came out with a True Trac type that has the Helical gears, it is improved over the Eaton version, I have this type in my S60, street car it works awesome, no ratcheting or noise".  I believe this is what I have.  :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

The trutrac diff is unmistakable. Post a picture of your diff and we can identify it.

Mike DC

Define "improved".  IIRC the helical gear types don't do as well every situation.   IIRC they are weaker than a traditional sure-grip in harsh use on uneven surfaces (where the drivetrain is hopping back and forth between traction & slip).  And when one wheel is totally without traction they cannot work. 

The helical gear types are a good choice for most guys with street performance cars.  But I would rather have one of the older LSD designs in a truck/jeep.   

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2019, 03:38:35 PM

Define "improved".  IIRC the helical gear types don't do as well every situation.   IIRC they are weaker than a traditional sure-grip in harsh use on uneven surfaces (where the drivetrain is hopping back and forth between traction & slip).  And when one wheel is totally without traction they cannot work. 

The helical gear types are a good choice for most guys with street performance cars.  But I would rather have one of the older LSD designs in a truck/jeep.   

I can make a tru trac lock and drive off with 1 tire completely off the ground. They are great for on/offroad trucks. Not my 1st choice for a strip car due to them potentially not being fully engaged on a launch. On slicks and high hp, that could send you into a wall.

Mike DC

QuoteI can make a tru trac lock and drive off with 1 tire completely off the ground.

So they've improved that now?  The earlier ones had no capacity to work if one wheel had zero traction.  I remember one brand had come up with a fix but it wasn't durable enough initially.  

QuoteThey are great for on/offroad trucks. Not my 1st choice for a strip car due to them potentially not being fully engaged on a launch. On slicks and high hp, that could send you into a wall.

Yeah, with slicks and high HP you're better off just having things locked up.  Unpredictability = wreck.      

Air (switchable) lockers seem like the most streetable heavy-duty combo of all.  But you have to put up with having an open diff when it's not locked.  

Kern Dog

I know I'm splitting hairs but the 4.11 ratio was never offered in a Mopar. 4.10, sure.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2019, 06:14:33 PM
QuoteI can make a tru trac lock and drive off with 1 tire completely off the ground.

So they've improved that now?  The earlier ones had no capacity to work if one wheel had zero traction.  I remember one brand had come up with a fix but it wasn't durable enough initially.  

QuoteThey are great for on/offroad trucks. Not my 1st choice for a strip car due to them potentially not being fully engaged on a launch. On slicks and high hp, that could send you into a wall.

Yeah, with slicks and high HP you're better off just having things locked up.  Unpredictability = wreck.      

Air (switchable) lockers seem like the most streetable heavy-duty combo of all.  But you have to put up with having an open diff when it's not locked.  

In military hmmwv's, i could do it from original production through the 2010 models. And the last one i purchased for a civilian truck was an 09 ram 1500. You have to know how to use them. If you just jack the tire up, it will free spin. Brake and throttle modulation will allow controlled lockup and unlocking.

ACUDANUT

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 20, 2019, 11:36:14 AM
Ok, my mistake. 4.10

So what is the end goal of the initial question? Are you considering swapping your 489 sure grip for a locker? What are your plans? Are you open to other diff styles? What led you to the detroit style locker?

ACUDANUT

No end goal. Just wondering what to expect. Can I send pictures to someone here to post for me. ??? I am having issues. Please PM me a address and I will happy to share. Thanks, Mike

c00nhunterjoe

Pm sent. If this is a true cruiser, i dont think you will like the locker.

ACUDANUT

c00nhunterjoe

I will upload the pics for all to see once its sorted out. Stand by peeps.

ACUDANUT

So, My Mopar Friend, tells me it is called a "spool".  All direct driving gears with no clutches, springs or any other crap.  It's a Direct Drive and cost me 1500.  Joe said they cost 2200 New.
Going into my 383 '72 Charger Rallye.  :cheers:

c00nhunterjoe

A complete dana 60 will cost you 2200. Lots of variables. I say you own it so pop it in and see if you like it. Gaurentee to spin both tires. I like them. Others dont.

ACUDANUT

Thanks Joe. I will like them.  Both Tires spinning is a Must. !! :2thumbs:

erndog

I had a right rear axle break at mph 68 mph going into 4 gear on a dana 456 with a spool in it, the car did an immediate left hand turn right into the concrete wall crunch!!!

ACUDANUT

My Spool has aftermarket axles and they are much bigger than the factory ones.

c00nhunterjoe

I have 35 spline axles in my dana with slicks on the street. No problems

71GSSDemon

I must have missed something somewhere in the posts...Looks to me that is a spool, not what is typically called a "locker" from Detroit Corp.

c00nhunterjoe

It is a spool. Initially he wasnt sure what he had and thought it might be a locker.further inspection showed it was a spool

ACUDANUT

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 07, 2020, 02:00:03 PM
It is a spool. Initially he wasnt sure what he had and thought it might be a locker.further inspection showed it was a spool
Guilty as charged. I did not know the lingo.  :cheers:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 07, 2020, 02:40:15 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 07, 2020, 02:00:03 PM
Guilty as charged. I did not know the lingo.  :cheers:

No guilt. Only stupid question is the one not asked.

Kern Dog

Come on, Joe. That is the polite but terribly inaccurate response. There are a LOT of stupid questions asked on these forums all the time. I've probably asked them before. The OP? I would not call him stupid. Some things you just don't know until you are told, some things you know for reasons you cannot explain.

c00nhunterjoe

Nah, if a person doesnt know the answer, i have no problem explaining it. I have a problem when i explain it, they dont listen, do it their way anyway, then come back asking the same question.