News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I have asked this before but anybody selling a correct reading fuel sender???

Started by 69wannabe, February 15, 2019, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

I still need to fix my feul gauge where it reads accurate. I had all my gauges checked at redline gaugeworks and they installed a solid state instrument panel voltage regulater but my fuel gauge only reads about 1/2 when it is full. I just haven't gotten around to pulling the sender back out and checking the ohm's on it to see if I can get it to read right but would like to put one in that reads right without messing with this unit.

poppa

Good luck. It's a problem. Many have the same issue. I'll be working on it this spring too.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

bakerhillpins

So being a Friday morning and less than motivated for office work...

I found your last thread about this:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127935.0.html

At the bottom of the thread a few comments about an OER branded sending unit that supposedly ohmed out to proper Chrysler specs:
QuoteBoth were OER Brand. One part number MF430 measured 10.5 ohms at full, 25 ohms at 1/2 and 75 ohms empty. This matched the Chrysler specification exactly and I would expect it to work correctly.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127935.msg1592501.html#msg1592501

A quick google for that part #:
OER Fuel Tank Sending Unit 1963-76 Mopar A Body
QuotePart Number: 691-MF430   
Ships on 02/25/19
$50 off $500, $75 off $750, $100 off $1000. Enter Promotion Code: TAX1040
$69.99
https://www.jegs.com/i/OER/691/MF430/10002/-1

Just for giggles I hit up a google search to validate the Chrysler specs:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=mopar+b+body+fuel+sending+unit+ohms

I hit a few of the Mopar sites I prefer (Moparts/FBBO) and they seem to confirm the readings quoted above:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/95640/ohm-range-for-mopar-fuel-gauge-sending-units.html
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/674843/2.html  -> Interesting commentary about adjustments to correct unstable readings by adjusting the sweeping arm.

I have NO idea if it will work, but there seems to be a consensus regarding the non-linear ohm readings so you could order one and validate before installing it. Have fun and report back!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

b5blue

Last time this came up I ordered one from Kramer. His wife explained something about part production moving to Mexico but they (Kramer) still checked or calibrated prior to shipping. I don't see they have any listed so give them a call perhaps.

Ghoste

If I could find one that reads full when its actually full and empty when its empty (with a fairly accurate reading just before empty as opposed to dropping from 1/4 tank to bone dry in a coupe of miles of use) I would be happy.  I dont need the 1/2 tank or 3/4 tank reading to be accurate, just the two extremes.

70sixpkrt

Quote from: b5blue on February 22, 2019, 10:12:32 AM
Last time this came up I ordered one from Kramer. His wife explained something about part production moving to Mexico but they (Kramer) still checked or calibrated prior to shipping. I don't see they have any listed so give them a call perhaps.
I would call Kramer Auto and speak with them. I bought mine from them about 2 yrs ago and still reads correctly. They do calibrate them before they ship them out.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

poppa

I would call Kramer Auto and speak with them. I bought mine from them about 2 yrs ago and still reads correctly. They do calibrate them before they ship them out.
[/quote]
Got one from them too. Checked it (ohm) , put it in and it now goes up to 5/8ths of a tank. Gauge tests good.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: poppa on February 22, 2019, 07:45:15 PM
Got one from them too. Checked it (ohm) , put it in and it now goes up to 5/8ths of a tank. Gauge tests good.

So you got correct ohm readings before you put it in eh? Sounds the the problem lies elsewhere then, probably a crappy/corroded connector somewhere in the system adding resistance to the reading.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

poppa

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 25, 2019, 09:34:42 AM
Quote from: poppa on February 22, 2019, 07:45:15 PM

So you got correct ohm readings before you put it in eh? Sounds the the problem lies elsewhere then, probably a crappy/corroded connector somewhere in the system adding resistance to the reading.

I'm going to ohm the wire from the tank to the dash and check the connections as soon as mine's out of storage. Mine was right BEFORE I installed it (ohm'd)

A383Wing

we had the same issue last year.....bought 3 senders, none worked.......finally had to send our OE one out for rebuild......got it back and installed, gauge reads correctly now

we sent OE sender to -->  http://antiqueinstrument.com/?fbclid=IwAR1JNTtbKlip71RvmdenLkYO7eN2s7gXyL0iwJAXvrNn9ZBZYNq5oPLBCi0

Bryan

Ghoste

Dino

You really need to use the fuel gauge and your voltage limiter to calibrate the gauge as no 2 are the same. I took my fuel gauge out of the car to make work a little easier. If you don't have a solid state voltage limiter yet, this is a good time to get one. I did this on a work bench. Run 12 volts through the voltage limiter and to the fuel gauge. Measure travel on the sender float and mark 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. I secured the sender to the bench and had a paper with marks under it. Hook the sender up to the fuel gauge and move the arm to the 1/2 mark. Calibrate the fuel gauge by gently tweaking both cams in the gauge. . Repeat for 1/4 and 3/4. If you calibrate the gauge gently side by side you'll be able to get it spot on. Install and enjoy your functional fuel gauge!

Of course if the sender doesn't read the mopar spec ohm then this is not going to work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Also I wonder if the nose down rake that's popular could effect fuel readings.   :scratchchin:

timmycharger

Great information here on how to get it to read correctly but after having mine in and out about 6 times trying to chase a small leak from the ring, I no longer care about accuracy :flame: :brickwall: 

I just have to remember to gas up when the needle shows an 1/8 tank..

Ghoste

Quote from: b5blue on February 26, 2019, 12:33:45 PM
Also I wonder if the nose down rake that's popular could effect fuel readings.   :scratchchin:

We raked them pretty good back in the 70's too and didn't have this problem,  It certainly would have an effect but not enough to cause problems like not going any fuller than half etc.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

69wannabe

Well my old sending unit was trash, the little metal tabs broke off and the gauge finally went to empty. I tried to call Kramer 's but it said the number as not good. I got the number off of the website so I don't know what's up with that. Called Laysons restoration and ordered one from them. Hope it works good, at this point if it reads 3/4 on the gauge when it's full I will be fine with that. I will check it before I put it in still but hopefully it's better than what I had...

69wannabe

The repop from laysons is a no go, reads about 1/4 tanks when it should be reading close to full so there is that, this is very frustrating!!!! I would pay good money to get my fuel gauge reading correctly. I wonder if that J Wolff guy can make a repop read correctly with the factory gauge or whatever. I wonder what Graveyard Carz does when they need a good sending unit for a fuel tank???

b5blue

69wannabe

I actually had to go to winder Ga today and year one is on the way to winder so I stopped by and picked up another sending unit so if this one even reads close or within 1/4 then i'm going to call it quits and just be glad it's reading close at this point......

A383Wing

almost guarantee that it won't work correctly....you need to get your OE unit rebuilt by the company that I posted who did ours

Bryan

69wannabe

My OE unit is long gone and it was only a 5/16 unit anyway. I do need the 3/8 with the 493ci and the line going from back to the front of the car is also 3/8. If it reads close then that's better than nothin....

moparent

I simply extended my wires to my new tank laying behind the car at a similar angle it would sit at mounted and kept pulling and bending the rod on the sender until it read where I wanted it...Empty being the most important reading! Used water in the tank to float the sender...it works!! Out of the box it was junk, Classic Ind part, not their fault, I knew it would read wrong..now its mint. Pressure test with soap around the sender when done to make sure its sealed..blast a little compressed air in the fill, hold your thumb over the exits and look for bubbles around the lock ring...tighten until no more bubbles..