News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hillbilly tire shop in Kansas

Started by ACUDANUT, February 22, 2019, 03:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Charged me 78  Bucks to mount and balance 4 tires.  It took them 10 minutes.  Rip Off imo.  What do others charge in your area ?

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

stripedelete

Assuming no car and no old tire disposal (handed them four rims and four tires).  $8-10 /tire.
Northern Ohio.

Aero426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 22, 2019, 03:32:40 PM
  It took them 10 minutes. 

Would you feel better if it had taken them an hour?

Bronzedodge

It has gone up here in the crowded Mid-Atlantic in recent years.  $70.- is about average.
Mopar forever!

Lennard

JB400

I pretty much well plan on spending an hour at the tire store.  Ranges between $12-$15 a tire.

Kern Dog

I have a tire machine here but I don't have a way to balance them. I have mounted and dismounted all sorts of tires in the past 6 years.

69rtse4spd

odcics2

Last time I had some race tires mounted got four done for $25.   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69bronzeT5

They usually charge $25 (Canadian) a tire up here but I have friend's shops that do it for $50 cash for 4.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

alfaitalia

Charged me 70 Bucks to mount and balance 4 tires.  It took them 10 minutes.  Rip Off imo.  What do others charge in your area ?

I take it there was more that one man doing the work...cant see how one bloke could mount and balance 4 tyres in ten minutes (2 mins 30secs per corner!!). I recon I could do that in about 20 - 25 mins (I have access to both tyre fitting and balancing machines)...as long as they were not real cheap tyres that never seem to balance up easy! For info its about £8 - £10  per tyre (so $10.38 to $12.98 at todays exchange rates) so not miles away from US prices around here (plus a £1 per tyre environment tax to dispose of the old ones....hmmm). Lots of places will make it difficult be refusing to fit tyres they did not supply!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ACUDANUT

Several blokes did it.  it was Nascar fast

Birdflu

Charged me 78  Bucks to mount and balance 4 tires.  It took them 10 minutes.  Rip Off imo.  What do others charge in your area ?

2 1/2 minutes a piece...that's impressive for air removal, dismount, re-mount, airing up AND balancing!  :coolgleamA:

Setting that aside, a lot of shops in our area charge $$$ that is equal to the rim diameter for dismount, mount & balance. So a 15" wheel would be $15...

TruckDriver

Hell, $78 is cheap around me. Near me, figure close to $100 for mounting and balancing. Unless you buy the tires at the tire shop, then usually it is free for mounting.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

moparguy01

Its around 15-18 a tire here in Minnesota. But if I had 4 tires mounted and balanced in 10 minutes, I'd probably be tipping the guys. Thats impressive.

c00nhunterjoe

With customer supplied tires, i wouldnt touch it for 80 bucks in most cases. Wheel weights are through the roof on top of everything else.

RallyeMike

QuoteBut if I had 4 tires mounted and balanced in 10 minutes, I'd probably be tipping the guys.

I'd be asking him to go back and do it right.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

Might want to check the lugnuts.  Had one store not get them tight on my dads' truck.  Took him for a ride when the wheel came off going down the highway.

Charger RT

with internet sales local shops are charging more if you bring the tires. If you buy the tires from them it is a small fee.
Tim

ACUDANUT

I carried them in, and it might have been 15 minutes, just to clarify.

bakerhillpins

Ave is right around $20 a corner, so that's about the average around here. If you have disposal that's $2 extra per. On or off the car doesn't matter.  I've got a bud with a tire machine and he typically does it for free if the place that bought the tires doesn't include it.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Tilar

I think about that the same way I think about the price of gas... I cant make gasoline and I'm not changing tires anymore, so it doesn't matter what it cost. I gotta have gas and I need someone else to change the tires so I just pay the bill.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

hemi68charger

I was charged 25 per tire over here... Don't think it is cheap, but don't think it is highway robbery either...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi-hampton

Quote from: JB400 on February 25, 2019, 08:19:41 PM
Might want to check the lugnuts.  Had one store not get them tight on my dads' truck.  Took him for a ride when the wheel came off going down the highway.

Exact same thing happened to me here in Detroit, Just left & when Cruising down 8 mile rd. my rear wheel falls off my Ram truck & goes rolling by me as I skid off into a snow bank in parking lot, Not cool at all. Those Assclowns. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: :slap:

ACUDANUT

Mine were carry in with no tires on them.  :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

15 inch wheels for the charger or low profiles? Cash or card?