News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator Opinions/Options for 69 Charger R/T with 22" Radiator support

Started by ChargerRT69, February 22, 2019, 03:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRT69

Hello Charger Land!

I continue to work on getting my Charger R/T on the road and try to stay ahead of physical work by planning ahead. One of the subjects that I ask for help on this go around is proven recommendations for radiators and cooling fans to keep a the following build cool:

•   440 bored 0.030 over
•   440 Source Stealth heads
•   Lunati- Cam and Lifters (PN 10230703LK - 226/234  .494/.513)
•   Mancini Racing High Volume Aluminum Water Pump
•   Edelbrock Performer RPM intake topped with FiTech Go EFI 4 600HP System Matte Black.
•   Compression estimated to be 10:1

The Charger is an original R/T, but had no AC originally. So from what I have found the 22" radiator was typically used. I am adding an aftermarket Classic Auto Air system, so will come into play. I want to be able to keep it cool so when running at low RPM (Parades, etc) and running A/C, I do not overheat. The car is already painted so upgrading to a 26" radiator support is not an option, so whatever is recommended I need to fit it into the 22" support frame.

I have read version things, but wanted to get some new opinions on this subject and see what others have done with success!!

Thanks in advance for all feedback!

Mopar Nut

I went with a U.S. Radiator 22" four row, keeps my car between 175 to 185. I don't have A/C. But if you're looking for stock appearance, buy a Glen Ray 22" modified three row.

Is yours a automatic or manual?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ChargerRT69

Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 22, 2019, 04:08:28 PM
I went with a U.S. Radiator 22" four row, keeps my car between 175 to 185. I don't have A/C. But if you're looking for stock appearance, buy a Glen Ray 22" modified three row.

Is yours a automatic or manual?

Automatic

justcruisin

I have used a champion 22" with 3 rows of 3/4" tubes, but you wouldn't mistake it for stock. There are others out there that look more original and that is what I would go for if I did it again, I had to fab up a shroud as the original would not fit. I don't have AC, my engine is a similar build to yours and in traffic on hot days I think I would see the temp climb beyond 200 if I let it. I installed a 17" Derale fan on the front as an assist to my engine driven clutch fan along with a 190 degree thermo switch and it works well. The fan kicks in and drops the temp then switches off, never had an issue.

ChargerRT69

Quote from: justcruisin on February 27, 2019, 02:26:36 PM
I have used a champion 22" with 3 rows of 3/4" tubes, but you wouldn't mistake it for stock. There are others out there that look more original and that is what I would go for if I did it again, I had to fab up a shroud as the original would not fit. I don't have AC, my engine is a similar build to yours and in traffic on hot days I think I would see the temp climb beyond 200 if I let it. I installed a 17" Derale fan on the front as an assist to my engine driven clutch fan along with a 190 degree thermo switch and it works well. The fan kicks in and drops the temp then switches off, never had an issue.

Thanks justcruisin, I was wondering if there was other people out there that would give me more feedback!

ChargerRT69

Has anyone ever used Engineered Cooling Products (ECP)? Their website is http://www.speedcooling.com/radiators/. They talked a good game, but wonder how their product really is?

c00nhunterjoe

I have found that in most cases, a high volume waterpump will cause overheating issues. Have you ever seen how much water the stock pump moves at just 1500 rpm? Its ALOT.  I have several friends with several different brand aluminum radiators ranging from high dollar becool to the cheap 189 champions. I feel it is more sized to your particular application regarding core size, tube size, and arrangment then brand. Fwiw, i have a stock style 22" downflow 4 row champion in my 700 hp, filled block 440. It keeps my setup up running cool in summer heat on the street and between rounds at the track.

ChargerRT69

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 27, 2019, 11:30:02 PM
I have found that in most cases, a high volume waterpump will cause overheating issues. Have you ever seen how much water the stock pump moves at just 1500 rpm? Its ALOT.  I have several friends with several different brand aluminum radiators ranging from high dollar becool to the cheap 189 champions. I feel it is more sized to your particular application regarding core size, tube size, and arrangment then brand. Fwiw, i have a stock style 22" downflow 4 row champion in my 700 hp, filled block 440. It keeps my setup up running cool in summer heat on the street and between rounds at the track.

Thanks C00nhunterjoe!

Challenger340

In my experience the factory 22" radiator works just fine.  

Our '69 R/T 440/auto with the stock/original Parts & Radiator stays plenty cool even idling in traffic. Yes, I know I'm in Canada, but I've driven it in 100*F Las Vegas Heat/bumper to bumper traffic as well with NO issues.
Stock W/P, stock radiator, and stock 160*F "summer" thermostat as recommended back in the service manuals of the day,
and yes...
"back in the day" Mopar recommended summer 160*F and winter 190*F Thermostats as part of "winterizing" maintenance for colder climates.
And as anyone who actually drove these Cars back in those days in -20*F winters with a 160*F summer thermostat can attest..... freezing ur nutz off and NOT being able to see squat out the frozen windows was no fun !  because the heater only blew luke warm air !   We used 190*F winter thermostats in winter, and 160*F summer thermostats in summers.

My point being twofold
1.) I don't believe the 22" radiator opening is an issue to good cooling, given a good quality radiator is installed
and
2.) I have NO idea why today many people install 190*F Thermostats, then wonder WHY their Cars overheat idling in 80-90-100*F traffic ???  :brickwall:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

justcruisin

I agree with Joe that brand is not the main thing, in my experience the well constructed cheaper ones work well, IMO  air flow through the radiator at idle is key.

c00nhunterjoe

I will say that 90% of the overheating issues i have seen are airflow related, 5% are overengineered changes, and 5% are actually the radiators fault.

hemi68charger

I have a Daytona, and like any Winged car with the nose, there can be heating problems. Mine was no exception. I did eventually change out my anti-freeze and replaced all the fluid I could get out with nothing but distilled water and a product called "Water Wetter"....... I used to have real bad overheating problems, but after this fluid change, I haven't had another single cooling issue.........  just my own personal experience.........

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DanielRobert

I went to a 2 row with 1" tubes radiator for a problematic Olds motor (had a brand new 3 row radiator).   Did the trick. They definitely cool better than the tight 3 row 1/2"
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

darbgnik

Quoted from the eBay add of the rad I bought, might have some truth to it?:

A large 2- row aluminum radiator will cool better the a 3-row or even 4-row aluminum radiator. Aluminum is NOT LIKE COPPER where more tubes/rows means more cooling. It is the size of the tubes/rows that provide the best cooling. The highest cooling efficiency is with 2 rows 1 inch to 1&1/8 inch wide. Do your research and you will find any major name brand radiator shop will be building them with 2-large rows. Usually at a premium price.

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html