News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reilly Motorsports with RideTech Shockwaves

Started by cdschenk, February 27, 2019, 10:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdschenk

Hello! Total newbie here regarding Mopar suspensions - I recently joined this forum and have had a go at existing info using the search function but don't see information on my particular question. I'm just starting into a '68 Charger project and currently "building it on paper". I'm interested in the RMS AlterKtion front suspension and Street Lynx rear, which are both coilover setups. However to get the stance I'm looking for, I'm also looking at RideTech shockwaves. On paper, looking at the dimensions, one should be able to swap the coilovers for the Shockwaves, but RMS indicated that this wouldn't be possible due to dimensional incompatibility. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this on a 68-70 B-body or if anyone has any suggested alternatives.  Not looking for debates on stances or any conflict, just technical input on the particular question. Thanks in advance for your help!

JB400

With the Shockwaves, you have to figure in the size of the shock deflated, which will be bigger.  If not, you risk puncturing the airbag.

No, I do not have this setup, just a little common sense.  Welcome to the forum :cheers:

cdschenk

Thanks JB400, makes perfect sense - the light bulb just switched on!

Mike DC

Why the airbags?  For raising & lowering it?

RMS makes some good stuff.  Lots of happy customers and they are nice people to deal with.  Their stuff saves weight.  Coilovers are fast & easy to swap spring rates.

But be aware that some aftermarket changes can improve the stock chassis A LOT.  Fix the slow floating/wandering steering, stiffen the body roll, etc.  The original setup wasn't bad at the core, it was just fine-tuned to work with 1960s tires.  Modern radials need much different alignment & stiffness choices.  I happen to prefer a stock chassis (re-worked for modern tires) over any of the aftermarket stuff.  Just my two cents.  Rubber bushings are nice on the street.  

BTW - Add some stiffening mods to the stock unibody.  Practically everyone who does that to a car has good things to say about it.  I mean regardless of what type of suspension or driving or racing they do.

US Car Tool makes a nice big kit that nails the lowest hanging fruit.    

cdschenk

Mike DC - Just finished up a response and it all disappeared. Yes, for lowering, not a lowrider, just a more aggressive stance when parked at shows and a bit higher for driving. I actually ordered all the US Car Tool stiffening goodies awhile back - wish they'd hurry up and get here as I'm about at that point in the build!