News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need to buy a fiberglass hood (who/where to buy from)

Started by Stringbender, February 27, 2019, 09:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stringbender

Hey guys, I need to replace the fiberglass hood on my 68 charger. Looking for the type that bolts to the hinges an has No latch provisions (doing hood pins up front). Its just a DRIVER/STREET car but I Hope to get something that looks & fits decent. Please let me know what you might recommend. I've got zero experience buying fiberglass panels etc. Thanks alot

cdr

Do NOT buy one from Unlimited Products , JUNK JUNK expensive JUNK !!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Stringbender

Ha ha ok great thank you!
I thought if nothing else ill be able to rule out a few of these vendors.
Ugh bummed if you got screwed on a piece from them though, that sucks.

A383Wing

stay away from Showcars in Canada also.......he makes terrible parts

Stringbender

Ok thank you for the heads up. Well that's two I can eliminate. Hopefully somebody out there is selling hoods of reasonable quality etc.

Lennard

Stringbender

Ok thank you glad to hear that, I'm gonna start looking at their stuff. I know nothings gonna compare to an original steel hood. Just need something decent for now.

Mike DC

Good fiberglass hoods don't cost much less than a repro steel one.  And used steel ones are still out there. 

DAY CLONA

Quote from: cdr on February 27, 2019, 09:45:27 PM

Is that from previous experience or current?, as they have been under new ownership/management for the last 2-3 yrs and Kevin has turned the place around greatly, I've had no issues with any of the products that I have bought from them...

I will agree with the other poster SHOWCARS is to be avoided at all costs, poor shit products, service, etc...

VFN, USbody source, Glasstek offer nice quality products, I've bought from all of them over the years (for decades)

AAR was also a very good mfg, but was acquired by Stinger Fiberglass the last 5 yrs or so, the quality of Stinger has always been 50/50 at best, I don't know how AAR survived  in this deal as far as maintaining their line of products/quality?....

Stringbender

Thank you for all the replies guys, so much knowledge & Experience on this site. My car had a warped and badly cracked fiber glass hood when I got it an no latch parts of any kind left. I looked at a couple Craigslist steel hoods but guys were wanting $500 to $800 for hoods that needed that much or much More in body work to look decent.
Its taken me 25 years to get one of these cars, an get it to "Driver" condition. For now I'm gonna put another fiber glass hood on, shoot it in epoxy primer an DRIVE the car while my Dad an others who Love these cars are still around to enjoy it.

Bronzedodge

Maybe post a wanted ad in that section of the classifieds.  Where are you located?  I see hoods here on the expensive east coast for 200-300.
Mopar forever!

Stringbender

That's a good idea ill try that. Can't hurt that's for sure. Here in California EVERYTHING is so Damn overpriced its kinda ridiculous.

Bronzedodge

Mopar forever!

cdr

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 02, 2019, 09:28:21 AM
Quote from: cdr on February 27, 2019, 09:45:27 PM

Is that from previous experience or current?, as they have been under new ownership/management for the last 2-3 yrs and Kevin has turned the place around greatly, I've had no issues with any of the products that I have bought from them...

I will agree with the other poster SHOWCARS is to be avoided at all costs, poor shit products, service, etc...

VFN, USbody source, Glasstek offer nice quality products, I've bought from all of them over the years (for decades)

AAR was also a very good mfg, but was acquired by Stinger Fiberglass the last 5 yrs or so, the quality of Stinger has always been 50/50 at best, I don't know how AAR survived  in this deal as far as maintaining their line of products/quality?....

It has been over 3 years ago, glad they have gotten better, still does not help the BURNING SENSATION I still feel.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Stringbender

Wish I had a picture of the one I drove an hour both ways to look at for $500. Wasn't in near the shape of those. Now that I've gotten an idea of where to buy an where NOT to. I'm gonna go that route an post a "Wanted" add like suggested. Thank you guys! An ugh my condolences to everybody who got burned. Man these cars & PARTS are expensive it just sucks so Bad when ya get screwed!