News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500 Grill Special Parts

Started by RSI700VIPER, March 02, 2019, 08:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSI700VIPER

Does anyone have a picture and/or description of the special parts, brackets, filler pieces, etc. used for the Charger 500 grill other than the obvious 68 Coronet grill and headlight bezels?
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

DAY CLONA

plus you'll need the headlite sections cut out of a set of 68 Coronet fenders to superimpose over the factory Charger units to mount the lights out front for that "frog-eyed" look that the 500 has...

RSI700VIPER

Sweet.  Thanks Day Clona.   I honestly thought there were more pieces.  I have a Talladega Torino and there are literally dozens of special brackets, rods, struts, headlight boxes, seals, etc.  Even mini headlight wire harness extenders.  
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

DAY CLONA

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on March 02, 2019, 09:19:45 AM
Sweet.  Thanks Day Clona.   I honestly thought there were more pieces.  I have a Talladega Torino and there are literally dozens of special brackets, rods, struts, headlight boxes, seals, etc.  Even mini headlight wire harness extenders.  

Oh there's other smaller parts, like the extensions for the outer 68 Coronet grill pcs, the side brackets for the 68 Coronet headlite fender sections, I'm sure I missed a few...

Mike

hemi68charger

There's a few detailed threads on this subject by me and other C500 owners and SME's ( Subject Matter Experts )... Do a search, you should have plenty hits..

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

5hunert

What about the Charger emblem in the grill?  I've been told its the rear emblem off a 68 Charger, but the studs are too short.

chargervert

The Charger script emblem is not the same on a 69 500,as the 68 Charger tailpanel emblem.  The 68 Charger tailpanel emblem is contoured to fit the inward curvature of the tailpanel, the Charger 500 grille script emblem is flat.

5hunert

Quote from: chargervert on March 06, 2019, 09:37:36 AM
The Charger script emblem is not the same on a 69 500,as the 68 Charger tailpanel emblem.  The 68 Charger tailpanel emblem is contoured to fit the inward curvature of the tailpanel, the Charger 500 grille script emblem is flat.

Is the Charger grill emblem a special part then, or is it recycled off another application?

mopar346

Did anyone answer the above question about the grille emblem?

hemi68charger

I will check the part number of the one on my 500 and see if it cross references to one of the other script applications in 68 and 69.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Ghoste

According to the 69 parts catalog, the Charger 500 grille emblem is the same part number as the 500 emblem on the deck lid of a 69 Coronet 500, so I suspect it could be found in some other applications too.  2902 811

mopar346

5hunert

Quote from: Ghoste on July 24, 2019, 05:53:50 AM
According to the 69 parts catalog, the Charger 500 grille emblem is the same part number as the 500 emblem on the deck lid of a 69 Coronet 500, so I suspect it could be found in some other applications too.  2902 811

How about the Charger script?  Does that cross to another Charger emblem?

Ghoste

I would have to look through some catalogs but the part number shown for the "Charger" script in the 500 grille is 2840 066 and then under it, is listed a stud pin with a 9411 579 number. 

UFO

2840066  68 charger rear  emblem.

Ghoste

5hunert

Quote from: UFO on July 24, 2019, 08:13:36 PM
So the Charger grill script is a 68 Charger tail panel emblem with different fasteners?  Does anyone know what those fasteners look like and where to buy them?

Kowal

There are a ton of SME's on this site, but I can take a crack having been through it.

What Dodge had was roll pin like extensions (but more a steel tube) that fit over the Charger emblem pins which made them longer, and then a black rectangular speed nut that went over that.    The roll pin thing is not available anymore in its original form, though the part number lived on for years as a basic roll pin, you can see it called out in door lock assemblies as late as the 90's.

I duplicated by going to a really good hardware store and figuring out a roll pin that fit over the emblem pin and could be discretely glued in place, then used the right size speed nut on that.

I would be very interested in hearing what others have done.   I was thinking of taking my grill apart to give the grid a fresh shot of black and was just thinking about all of this.   Also, I invite the SME's to correct me on this.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

5hunert

:2thumbs: Thanks!! I'd love to hear about any other's solutions as well!
Quote from: Kowal on July 25, 2019, 08:45:41 AM
There are a ton of SME's on this site, but I can take a crack having been through it.

What Dodge had was roll pin like extensions (but more a steel tube) that fit over the Charger emblem pins which made them longer, and then a black rectangular speed nut that went over that.    The roll pin thing is not available anymore in its original form, though the part number lived on for years as a basic roll pin, you can see it called out in door lock assemblies as late as the 90's.

I duplicated by going to a really good hardware store and figuring out a roll pin that fit over the emblem pin and could be discretely glued in place, then used the right size speed nut on that.

I would be very interested in hearing what others have done.   I was thinking of taking my grill apart to give the grid a fresh shot of black and was just thinking about all of this.   Also, I invite the SME's to correct me on this.

chargervert

Quote from: 5hunert on July 25, 2019, 07:33:30 AM
Quote from: UFO on July 24, 2019, 08:13:36 PM
So the Charger grill script is a 68 Charger tail panel emblem with different fasteners?  Does anyone know what those fasteners look like and where to buy them?

My 69 500 did not have a 68 Charger rear tailpanel emblem on it.  I don't think it was ever changed.  It had a flat Charger script emblem, that looked like a 69 Charger headlight door emblem.

hemi68charger

All,
I'll reach out to my buddy Richard who owns car #610. His is the survivor...... I'll see if his matches the one I have and also, which nuts secure it to the grille. If I recall from my 1st C500, it was a regular type of nut you expect on emblem studs like this, but with a very large round base so it would touch the grille grid...
Troy

UFO

Could be a misprint in the parts catalog. I would agree that it should be flat across the back.There's a bunch of 500 owners here, someone must have the grille emblem off the car. Turn it over and look at the part number.

Ghoste

The back of Richards survivor 500 grille emblem.  Hard to tell there but photo options were limited.  There are nuts on the back of the studs.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Ghoste on August 13, 2019, 06:24:08 AM
The back of Richards survivor 500 grille emblem.  Hard to tell there but photo options were limited.  There are nuts on the back of the studs.

that's exactly what I was envisioning... My 1st C500 was like that.. My current C500 is missing the nuts, but it shouldn't be an issue to find the wide emblem nuts. Tom at R/T Specialties http://www.rtspecialties.net/ probably has them...
Troy

6bblgt

mopar346

Great info, have we confirmed which emblem it used? Charger grill script or 68 tail script?

hemiron1

I can answer most all of these questions.
I will look tomorrow when I'm home.
I have both grille emblems and where I got the roll pins and nuts.
I have spare grille emblems "500" and "Charger"
If in need remind me to look. The mind isn't what it used to be.
                                                                                 Ron

mopar346

I had a thought run through my head today and after rereading a few threads I'm not clear on the answer. Is there an extension wiring harness to the headlights or does the original Charger harness reach the headlights after the grill/bucket modification? I think I see a pictures of a stub harness in one picture but I'm not 100% sure. So is there a separate extension harness to the headlights?

Thanks, Kevin

white

My 69C500 just has the original head light harness, it's a little tighter than my 68 but still reaches.