News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Method for Hiding Wires in the Engine Bay

Started by TexasStroker, March 08, 2019, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

I've had the AAW Classic Update ready to go in for awhile...

One selling point was the longer than stock wires for custom routing.  Wires are pretty much 100% hidden in the cabin and trunk area and I would like the aesthetics of minimal wiring under the hood.

My initial plan was to run the wires thru the fender wells and then feed them in down the line.  I assume this is the most common method of attack.  But, as I get closer I got to wondering what the best way of actually going this route would be...Is it best to run conduit or are people just running loom? 

I haven't mocked everything up yet, but I will also be welding in my US Car Tool Inner Fender Braces.  I'm not sure if there is a pass thru on the front/back, or if I'd have to drill them out for conduit (and a loom).  I like the extra protection from the elements conduit would offer, but realize It would need to be mated with threaded ends for future serviceability.  I've also debated metal vs plastic for the conduit...Not sure how a typical galvanized conduit would hold up over the years in a wheel well...They'd get painted, but the plastic wouldn't flash rust.

Also, any insights on keeping things tidy up front with the lights?  I think a cover panel would be best (and help cooling).

This is a bit down the road still, but I like to plan ahead...I'm also a fan of learning from others success and mistakes.

Let me know what you did and how you like it, or what you would do.  Thanks in advance!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

metallicareload99

I wanna do the same, but have the same questions.  I only made it to a few car shows last summer but when I went I was looking for ideas on how to do this.  I also thought about metal conduit, but thought it would ultimately look cheesy.  Like something out of an unfinished basement or something.  I like the idea of cover panels also, but I don't really have the skills or time to make stuff like that. Inner fenders seems like a good place to route stuff, but I'd also like it protected somewhat also.

I think short of someone posting pictures or diagrams in this thread, we'll just have to figure it out by trial and error.  Running stuff down low on the firewall, along the frame rail should hide a lot.  Wiring for the lighting either in the inner fender or down low along the frame rail.  Engine wiring under the intake if you have a big block
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

TexasStroker

As of right now I'm leaning towards flexible conduit...If I can ever get a decent run of free time it is 3rd on the list...currently.
I will report back as to what methods I took...big concern right now remains if the inner fender braces are going to limit my options.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!