News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear glass removal Superbird Plug

Started by graybo, March 18, 2019, 08:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graybo

I'm in the process of removing my rear windshield from my super bird plug.  Mother Mopar really layed the black rubber/silicon to it and its a bear to remove.  Are there any glass removal secrets out there to save me some elbow grease?   Thanks.  :brickwall:

white

Heat works, makes the sealant pliable.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: graybo on March 18, 2019, 08:49:41 AM
I'm in the process of removing my rear windshield from my super bird plug.  Mother Mopar really layed the black rubber/silicon to it and its a bear to remove.  Are there any glass removal secrets out there to save me some elbow grease?   Thanks.  :brickwall:

I bend a thin width putty knife with a 90 degree angle at the end about 1/2 - 3/4 inch in width, just enough to get it by the glass and channel and under the glass when it's hot, use a handheld mapp/propane torch, heat the tip of the bent putty knife red and slide it into the black sealant, cuts like butter, but you got to work fast around the glass otherwise it just melts back together, this is one chunk of glass you don't want to break/chip as the repro replacement is currently $1200-$1500, if it's still available?

mr. hemi

You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

graybo

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 18, 2019, 11:23:47 AM
Quote from: graybo on March 18, 2019, 08:49:41 AM
I'm in the process of removing my rear windshield from my super bird plug.  Mother Mopar really layed the black rubber/silicon to it and its a bear to remove.  Are there any glass removal secrets out there to save me some elbow grease?   Thanks.  :brickwall:

I bend a thin width putty knife with a 90 degree angle at the end about 1/2 - 3/4 inch in width, just enough to get it by the glass and channel and under the glass when it's hot, use a handheld mapp/propane torch, heat the tip of the bent putty knife red and slide it into the black sealant, cuts like butter, but you got to work fast around the glass otherwise it just melts back together, this is one chunk of glass you don't want to break/chip as the repro replacement is currently $1200-$1500, if it's still available?

You are 100% right on the rarity and cost of this glass.  Normally I just fly into anything Mopar and get it done...but with this, I figured I would ask first.  Thanks Guys.