News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion bar question

Started by tucknroll, March 11, 2019, 01:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

My 69 charger is pulling to the left even after an alignment.  It goes straight down the road when the steering wheel is straight but wants to pull left. It's even to the ground on both sides but the drivers side torsion bar is cranked way up and the passenger side is way looser. Any suggestions? Thanks

WHITE AND RED 69

Sounds like a bad alignment. What are the alignment specs they adjusted it to?

How is the front end sitting and how much looser is the passenger side adjuster?

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Mike DC

Brakes?  Tires?  Bearings?  Don't keep assuming it has to be the front end alignment until you've ruled out the others. 

Also, the rear axle's thrust angle (alignment) could be goofing things up.   

tucknroll

Its sitting pretty good from just looking at it.  Almost everything is new in the front end.  Wheels, tires, calipers, bearings, uca bushings.  Psi is even.  Only thing off seems to be the torsion bars.  Drivers side is cranked almost all the way up but passenger side is almost out but its sitting even height on both sides.  Rear axle has always been fine

green69rt

Did you do anything with the LCAs?   If they did they might have put the TBs in wrong with the wrong indexing from side to side.  But what else did they touch, did you do it?  Are the TBs new?  

tucknroll

They didn't touch the lca's or torsion bars.  It's just a country shop but he always did great work before

b5blue

Slop in LCA and Strut rod bushings can do what you describe.

tucknroll

Heres a pic

tucknroll

Passenger side here

tucknroll

On the bright side,  I finally learned how to post pics lol

tucknroll

Are you guys torsion bars pretty even?

b5blue

My Mopar Perf. H.D. bars are are close and I've H.D. springs in back that are stagger having more leafs on the right set. (It kicks the rear passengers side a bit higher.) I'd get an alignment check it could just be toe in setting.

6.7Cummins

They have to be the same to set the ride height, then you can align the front end.
1968 Charger R/T 440/727

John_Kunkel

Quote from: tucknroll on March 11, 2019, 01:04:46 PM
My 69 charger is pulling to the left even after an alignment. 

Power steering? If so, has the steering valve adjustment been checked?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tucknroll

Its power steering.  I'll have to check that out.

tucknroll

I think I've heard that if I put the front up on Jack stands and crank it up and the wheel turns even a little then that's the problem.  True?

John_Kunkel

Yes, and from my experience it's more than "a little".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

g-man70

Did you any updates on your TB concerns? I have the exact same issue with my torsion bars and was thinking I might need to replace them. My other Chargers in the past have never been that way.