News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation: Press Release Hemi Charger 500, #614

Started by hemi68charger, March 15, 2019, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 19, 2019, 04:23:51 PM
Quote from: C500 on March 19, 2019, 03:20:20 PM
I like the Polara wheel covers it has, and had in the Bud video. Do they look like they will clean up well? I have a set on mine, and they look great.

I haven't inspected them thoroughly yet. May but those that Ralph has.
You have a picture you could share? Would like to see what others look like. There is one road test picture with a 500 with black steelies and hub caps (doggies).

It's not moving under it's own steam yet, will try for a pic in the next few days. Also have 500's and a aet of doggies. Different clothes for different days.

The Bud car or not, cool to own one of the original pilot cars  :cheers:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on March 20, 2019, 03:12:49 AM
... Different clothes for different days.

The Bud car or not, cool to own one of the original pilot cars  :cheers:

I will have that too.. I will have a set of redlines with the full wheel covers and a set of 15x7 or 15x8 steelies.

If I go painted steelies, I'll have hub caps, if not, they'll be black with chrome lug nuts..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

1969daytona

MoPar or NO car

Mytur Binsdirti

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi68charger

Some NOS stuff waiting to be placed on this Charger..

Back to the car and less useless banter...
1. NOS items I have had for a LONG time waiting for the right car. Well, it is here.. 1 500 script for the taillamp panel I have had for nearly 20 years and headlamp bezels.
2. The NOS center grille came with the car.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mopar John

CAUTION!
Correct NOS - ASSEMBLY LINE parts are addicting!
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on March 20, 2019, 08:29:07 PM
                                                                          CAUTION!
MJ

...and hard to find...    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi-hampton

Moparpoolman

Mytur Binsdirti

odcics2

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 21, 2019, 06:27:05 AM
Is that a body tag?   

You freakin' crack me up..  :icon_smile_big:

It is the price tag of the emblem when I bought it..
Troy

Dragon Slayer

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 18, 2019, 08:45:20 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on March 18, 2019, 04:49:08 PM
here's the engine compartment pic of the HOT ROD test HEMI automatic Charger 500

notice power steering pump & master cylinder

it would make sense that there were East Coast & West Coast "press test vehicles"

& if someone had a connection at HOT ROD, I'd bet that fender tag is readable on the source - was this photo published in MCR, does anyone know the issue?

I've written Hot Rod today to try and get information... I can't see what you're referring to about the power steering pump.. I do see there are some adaptors on the master cylinder the brake lines are going into... mmmmm? I don't recall those...

This one is an auto and I also notice it doesn't have the big body plug in the firewall between the bulkhead connector and the wiper motor...

I also notice the placement of the Emissions decal, in the normally position spot of the '68 model year. My '68 Hemi Charger R/T had it over there by the washer bottle. For the most part, the 1969 model year had the Emissions decal next to the data tag..  Also noticed that on #1 from the pictures it is missing the Emissions decal all together..

If you look at bracket for PS Pump, you can see it is different.  It is the Big Block Federal Type bracket.  Which would indicate a Federal pump.  So... with water pump housing looking like it was swapped maybe pump was too.  How close is the pully to the housing of the TRW pump at the HP hose inlet?  Part number and date code on hose may help resolve especially if it is way early date code.

Interesting on the adapters on MC, wonder why?  Have not seen those before.  Are they just adapters or a type of residual pressure valve?

Dragon Slayer

Quote from: odcics2 on March 18, 2019, 08:33:47 PM
Keep in mind that the few early press cars were probably hand assembled on a pilot line and not Creative sourced.

Parts may not be "production level" either, compared to later builds.
Remember the few 1972 440 Sixpack B Bodies that were made, but weren't supposed to exist!!  

Yes, but they rolled down as a 69 R/T, so the only things hand done should have been the conversion parts.  All of the major items (motor, brakes, steering, etc) should have been normal line items, no?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on March 21, 2019, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 18, 2019, 08:45:20 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on March 18, 2019, 04:49:08 PM
here's the engine compartment pic of the HOT ROD test HEMI automatic Charger 500

notice power steering pump & master cylinder

it would make sense that there were East Coast & West Coast "press test vehicles"

& if someone had a connection at HOT ROD, I'd bet that fender tag is readable on the source - was this photo published in MCR, does anyone know the issue?

I've written Hot Rod today to try and get information... I can't see what you're referring to about the power steering pump.. I do see there are some adaptors on the master cylinder the brake lines are going into... mmmmm? I don't recall those...

This one is an auto and I also notice it doesn't have the big body plug in the firewall between the bulkhead connector and the wiper motor...

I also notice the placement of the Emissions decal, in the normally position spot of the '68 model year. My '68 Hemi Charger R/T had it over there by the washer bottle. For the most part, the 1969 model year had the Emissions decal next to the data tag..  Also noticed that on #1 from the pictures it is missing the Emissions decal all together..

If you look at bracket for PS Pump, you can see it is different.  It is the Big Block Federal Type bracket.  Which would indicate a Federal pump.  So... with water pump housing looking like it was swapped maybe pump was too.  How close is the pully to the housing of the TRW pump at the HP hose inlet?  Part number and date code on hose may help resolve especially if it is way early date code.

Interesting on the adapters on MC, wonder why?  Have not seen those before.  Are they just adapters or a type of residual pressure valve?

With these extremely early 500's, and hemi's at that, we can't assume they were dressed with the same pulley set up as production '69 cars were. Those motors they used could have been left-over '68-prepped motors... So, there could be similarities to the '68 model year ( just like the example of early '69 door handles with the black button versus production-69 chrome..  Make sense?
Troy

white

Sure does Troy, My 69 has black buttons on door handles.

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: odcics2 on March 20, 2019, 09:08:21 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on March 20, 2019, 08:29:07 PM
                                                                          CAUTION!
MJ

...and hard to find...    :Twocents:
these tail lights would be a nice addition to such a rare and expensive car
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-DODGE-CHARGER-Daytona-NOS-TAIL-LIGHTS/163601579598?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: Moparpoolman on March 21, 2019, 04:19:25 AM
Does this car have XX on the dash VIN?
I thought the early 500 cars (doesn't get much earlier than this) had XS on dash and fender tag but was designated a 500 by the A11 on the tag, and the XX came later?  Not sure how much later?  Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

odcics2

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on March 21, 2019, 10:49:01 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on March 18, 2019, 08:33:47 PM
Keep in mind that the few early press cars were probably hand assembled on a pilot line and not Creative sourced.

Parts may not be "production level" either, compared to later builds.
Remember the few 1972 440 Sixpack B Bodies that were made, but weren't supposed to exist!!  

Yes, but they rolled down as a 69 R/T, so the only things hand done should have been the conversion parts.  All of the major items (motor, brakes, steering, etc) should have been normal line items, no?

Not necessarily.

The first few Charger 500s were probably made at the Clairpointe Pre-Production plant.  
Made as a Charger 500, not a converted R/T, like the rest of the production cars.

When Troy gets to removing the interior, I hope he looks for any signs of broken glass from the rear window being broken out to make a 500 from an R/T.
If there ARE glass bits, then it WAS a converted R/T.   If not, it was purpose built as a 500.  

Pilot cars were known to get most of the correct parts, but not all.   :Twocents:

Any C-500 experts out there?

C500

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on March 21, 2019, 02:12:49 PM
Quote from: Moparpoolman on March 21, 2019, 04:19:25 AM
Does this car have XX on the dash VIN?
I thought the early 500 cars (doesn't get much earlier than this) had XS on dash and fender tag but was designated a 500 by the A11 on the tag, and the XX came later?  Not sure how much later?  Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

November 14 was the date they started getting XX, but there are a few exemptions either side of this date.