News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Cooling Fan

Started by charlie45, March 28, 2018, 05:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

I'm going to need an electric cooling fan for my Griffin Radiator. Dimensions are 28in (W) and 15in (H) and will have to be a pusher ideally with double fans. Any recommendations?

Currently there is no room between the radiator and the engine with the Billet Serpentine set-up on the 528. Unless someone knows of a very slim fan set-up.

Wonder whether just electric will be enough? :icon_smile_question:

Any recommendations on a particular brand and model would be appreciated.

Thx,

mopar0166

I have a dual fan setup on my 4 row rad, its a 440 not a 528 but it clears fine.  There isn't much room but just enough.  Basically the fans are set up on two of the corners in a alum cowl that leave a gap between them for a water pump pulley.  I originally had a pusher fan and then switched to the two small pulling fans.  both are thermostat controlled.

Not sure if It'll help just my  :Twocents:

justcruisin

Pushers aren't the best option, but depending on your type of driving can work OK, never as good as a fan/fans mounted on the engine side with a shroud. When choosing fans don't go off CFM ratings alone, check the current draw. Generally a higher draw fan will shift more air, CFM ratings can be misleading. With two decent electric fans the current draw will be high, you will need an alternator that charges well at idle, if you need to upgrade don't look at the maximum rated output, check the output at idle, that's when you will need the fans. I use a 18217 derale in the front combind with a clutched engine drivin fan and shroud. The electric fan wont keep my engine cool on hot days in stationary traffic on it's own but works well as an assist in demanding conditions to keep temps below 190.

WHITE AND RED 69

I used this one with my griffin radiator and march serpentine setup. This was one of the thinnest ones I could find and cools my car perfectly even with the a/c condensor, trans cooler, and oil cooler in front of it. Also has an a/c relay to kick on once the a/c is on. If you don't have a/c there is another model that doesn't have it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-410/overview/
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

alfaitalia

Never had any luck with pusher fans. If you go that way you need some well designed and tight fitting surrounding that not only is right to the fan but touching the radiator. If not all the fan will do is stir the air up in front of the radiator...rather than forcing it through. Of course then the fan and the shroud will be an obstruction to air flow when the fan isn't on. Overall I would take advice from those above and try to squeeze in a puller..or two!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

charlie45

Thanks for the info.

Trying to look into a Flex-A-Lite Puller solution.

@WHITE AND RED 69: is the puller set-up you have significantly thinner in the middle than where the two fans are on the outside? I have the Billet Serpentine Setup and the middle pulley protrudes pretty far out towards the Radiator. Hoping that this Setup will be thin enough...

Will Keep you guys posted...

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: charlie45 on March 30, 2018, 05:29:30 AM
Thanks for the info.

Trying to look into a Flex-A-Lite Puller solution.

@WHITE AND RED 69: is the puller set-up you have significantly thinner in the middle than where the two fans are on the outside? I have the Billet Serpentine Setup and the middle pulley protrudes pretty far out towards the Radiator. Hoping that this Setup will be thin enough...

Will Keep you guys posted...

Yeah in the center it is a little under 2" from the radiator and the area with the fans is about 3". 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

mopar0166

That's about the clearance I have as well, with a 4 row champion and champion alum shroud w/ two fans.  I'm a huge fan of champion, I've bought three other of their products and couldn't be happier. 

Brads70

I've been using a pusher and a puller with shroud from this place for almost 7 years now. Great products! They were at Carlisle , that's where I found out about them. Mop and Pop type business. I like supporting those types of businesses when I can. They move a ton of air!

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/ec-80.php

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/cf-item20017-dual-cage.php

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/extreme-coolers.php

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dak-pac-2750

charlie45

First of all, thanks to everyone here for the useful feedback and help :2thumbs:

I've been communicating with a tech at Flex-A-Lite, unfortunately it has not been to
promising. I was actually keen on the solution that WHITE&RED69 posted above, and after speaking to my mechanic this solution WOULD WORK in terms of clearances from the engine (billet serpentine setup).

However the tech @ F-a-L mentioned that since my radiator is a crossflow and not a downflow, the fan blades could overhang the sides and this could lead to the fans distorting. Have you guys ever heard of this!? I mean I understand a tech having to be cautious and not advise anything where there could a potential issue. It just sounded far get fetched to me. Its starting to get really frustrating that I can't find any solution here! :brickwall:

The radiator is a Griffin 8-70038 and the narrowest point in the middle is just under 2 inches (where the protrudes the farthest, like in ghe picture above). Any thoughts or other recommendations are well appreciated...

firefighter3931

Here is the fan I use. Mine is set up as a pusher. This unit is a little under 2.75in thick. This is a dual speed fan but I have mine set up to run full tilt whenever the thermostatic switch powers it up. I have a Derale adjustable switch with 30amp fuse/relay set to 170* and it will hold that temp all day long...even in 100*F ambient air temps.

Once, a few years back, I was in the staging lanes and forgot to hit the toggle switch that powers the relay and noticed water temp at 220*  :o Then I realized the relay hadn't been powered up. Within 60 seconds the temp was back down to 170*  :yesnod:  This is a big 572ci Stroker (700+ HP) so it builds some serious heat.

I recommended the same fan to a buddy who runs a Roots blower on his 500in street build. He was having trouble with overheating in the hot Tennessee summer weather. On my recommendation he tried the Rainbow 17" fan setup and it solved all his problems.

These are 2 of my experiences and there are others ; 2 other buddies are running them on Pro-Charger BB builds with the same excellent results. Both cars are street/strip B-Bodies that run well into the 9's  :2thumbs:

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/cf-item20017-dual-cage.php

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/der-16749

Hope this helps...

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

justcruisin

Pretty sure the fan Ron has recommended is a Derale 18217, it is one of the better fans around IMO, I use it also, but it wont keep my engine cool in all conditions on it's own. Maybe a better radiator and it would work in my case. If a pusher is your only option I would suggest this fan with a suitable duel or triple pass radiator depending on your hose inlet/outlet requirements. Overkill is always a good idea when it comes to cooling, no fun sitting in traffic watching the gauge climb.

firefighter3931

The Rainbow fan looks like the Derale unit but look closely at the amp rating. The Rainbow fan pulls way more amperage which means the motor is significantly stronger.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

justcruisin

If that is the case I would be interested in one to replace the Derale I currently use, I find their info a bit puzzling, they say it draws 50 amps and then say it is 130/270 watts, for it to draw 50 amps it would need to be rated at 600 watts. I guess it could be possibly for them to be using an upgraded drive motor but it certainly seems the same as the Derale fan, right down to the availability of a ratchet securing system and the color of wires. My fan is rated at 265 watts, I did a current draw on a new Derale 17" fan at high speed and it draws around 22 amps in free air and 25 amps when up against the radiator which is consistent with the wattage rating. It would be interesting to see a test done on the Rainbow fan. For high speed the Derale instructions call for both the brown and grey wires to be connected to positive and the black to negative, Is that the same wiring? In my experience, on OE installations, single fans that draw 50 amps or more are generally controlled by pulse width modulation.

morepower

I have a 4 core aluminum champion and dual flex a lite slim fans and now with my torqstorm supercharger the supercharger belt hits the fan.....i'll keep everyone updated on what I do....
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

JerseyJoe

I bought the Rainbow 17" fan at Fall Carlisle this weekend.
Did you guys upgrade your charging systems to handle the amp draw of this fan? I'm still running a 60 amp alternator and this fan will be used with a Vintage Air A/C.
It'll be used as a pusher, I have a clutch fan and shroud on the other side.

justcruisin

You need to do  a current draw to see what is required. With the engine not running, put a clamp meter on the main battery cable and switch on the fan to see what it draws, then turn the AC on and the lights and any thing else that you may normally use, this will give you an idea of what load you are placing on your charging system. Turn everything off then start the engine, switch it all back on and see if your alternator is outputting enough to balance the load.
60 amps is probably OK, the main issue will be alternator output at idle, you may need to go with something like a denso replacement to get the output at idle.
The main draw will be the radiator fan, if you could check this with a meter and post up your results that would be helpful.

b5blue

That fan has two 12V+ feeds plus one ground. One is low and adding the 2nd while the 1st is still on gives high. I tested that fan on my car and it will draw every bit of advertised load. Can your ALT. output the extra amps at idle?   

1974dodgecharger

:o drool

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 28, 2018, 06:51:23 PM
I used this one with my griffin radiator and march serpentine setup. This was one of the thinnest ones I could find and cools my car perfectly even with the a/c condensor, trans cooler, and oil cooler in front of it. Also has an a/c relay to kick on once the a/c is on. If you don't have a/c there is another model that doesn't have it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-410/overview/

JerseyJoe

Quote from: justcruisin on October 11, 2018, 04:00:34 AM
The main draw will be the radiator fan, if you could check this with a meter and post up your results that would be helpful.

Will do. It'll probably have to wait until warmer weather but I expect to have to go to a 100 amp alt. and upgrade some wiring since all indications are this fan will pull every bit of the advertised draw.

darbgnik

I just installed these JEGs fans that I found on the shelf in the garage. They work mint, and they drop the engine temp 5 degrees in less than a minute, with one fan running, testing them at idle. They seem like a quality piece, at a decent price, and they move A LOT of air! Are narrow in the middle, adjacent to the water pump pulley as well. Just another option

Link to my thread below:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.msg1675655.html#msg1675655

Link to the fans and mounting brackets:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52116/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52117/10002/-1

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html