DodgeCharger.com Forum
September 23, 2019, 01:59:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please remember: this is the place to discuss Chargers - NOT the place to discuss politics. Political posts will be locked or deleted at the Moderator's discretion.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rear glass removal Superbird Plug  (Read 460 times)
graybo

« on: March 18, 2019, 07:49:41 AM »

I'm in the process of removing my rear windshield from my super bird plug.  Mother Mopar really layed the black rubber/silicon to it and its a bear to remove.  Are there any glass removal secrets out there to save me some elbow grease?   Thanks.  brickwall

* rsz_1bird_rear_window.jpg (16.72 KB, 289x217 - viewed 198 times.)
62 Max
Old Timer

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:50:54 AM »

You can make this,a couple handles made from wood dowel and stainless wire.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Car-Windshield-Removal-Tool-Windscreen-Window-Glass-Cutting-Wire-Handles-Kit/508513298?iid=263738148776&chn=ps
white

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »

Heat works, makes the sealant pliable.
DAY CLONA
Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »

I'm in the process of removing my rear windshield from my super bird plug.  Mother Mopar really layed the black rubber/silicon to it and its a bear to remove.  Are there any glass removal secrets out there to save me some elbow grease?   Thanks.  brickwall

I bend a thin width putty knife with a 90 degree angle at the end about 1/2 - 3/4 inch in width, just enough to get it by the glass and channel and under the glass when it's hot, use a handheld mapp/propane torch, heat the tip of the bent putty knife red and slide it into the black sealant, cuts like butter, but you got to work fast around the glass otherwise it just melts back together, this is one chunk of glass you don't want to break/chip as the repro replacement is currently $1200-$1500, if it's still available?

still winging it at www.officialdayclona.com
mr. hemi

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »

Windshield knife.

https://www.zoro.com/performance-tool-windshield-removal-tool-w80641/i/G5698351/feature-product?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl5jiwpCM4QIVArXACh3MIgWmEAQYBiABEgIrtPD_BwE

You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.
graybo

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »

I'm in the process of removing my rear windshield from my super bird plug.  Mother Mopar really layed the black rubber/silicon to it and its a bear to remove.  Are there any glass removal secrets out there to save me some elbow grease?   Thanks.  brickwall

I bend a thin width putty knife with a 90 degree angle at the end about 1/2 - 3/4 inch in width, just enough to get it by the glass and channel and under the glass when it's hot, use a handheld mapp/propane torch, heat the tip of the bent putty knife red and slide it into the black sealant, cuts like butter, but you got to work fast around the glass otherwise it just melts back together, this is one chunk of glass you don't want to break/chip as the repro replacement is currently $1200-$1500, if it's still available?

You are 100% right on the rarity and cost of this glass.  Normally I just fly into anything Mopar and get it done...but with this, I figured I would ask first.  Thanks Guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: