News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 step vs 3 step metering rods, how to tell?

Started by Shadow71, March 18, 2019, 03:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow71

Sounds like a stupid Q, but after hours of searching, reading and then measuring what I have, still not sure.  :shruggy:

I've read that if your AFB has flat covers they are 2 step. The 3 steps got the dimpled raise covers.

I have both types of AFB's and rods all look the same.

My first guess was they are all 3 step rods because, well, they have 3 sizes of rod diam. to them. After measuring them, I discovered that they all have the main shaft size the same at .081". This made me wonder if the main shaft doesn't count? (never gets low enough to effect the jet?)

Well then I went searching everywhere and;

1. I can't find any rods with Another step (including main section that would be 4)

2. I see what look like my rods on charts and for sale listed with only 2 diam's?

Is there a Definitive way to tell 2 step from 3 step?

1. Whether you have a 2 or 3 step AFB?

2. looking at the rods themselves?

Thanks in advance, cause pooped from searching the entire net including reading through just about everything on Mike's carb site and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  :'(

Shadow71

Decided to keep digging and found some pics of 3 step rods where you can clearly see the 3 steps. (even though pic is not so clear)

So the main shaft is not included in one of the steps.

3 step metering rods have 3 steps not including main shaft diam.

2 step have 2

Clearly I have 2 step which simplifies things for me :)

Shadow71

Also decided to attach metering rod chart in case any are wondering what they have.