News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Frame Dimension Confusion - 68 Charger

Started by MOsman82, March 19, 2019, 06:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOsman82

Hi,

I currently have my 1968 Charger up on a frame table having the unibody measured for straightness/squareness before I go ahead and install chassis stiffening components - Torque Boxes, Subframe Connectors etc etc.

Some time ago, I found a frame dimensions drawing drawn by George W Liskey dated 1968 and titled "1967-1968 Dodge Coronet Charger RT".

Measuring the car up today against this drawing - I've found some of the dimensions for the front of the car to be out by as much as 1".

I would have put this down to some form of accident damage were it not for the fact the error is exactly the same on both sides of the car.

I know these cars are not the most precision of instruments - but I expected 1/8" errors not 1".

Just wanted to check - am I working off the correct drawing? The only thing that makes me suspect I might not be is the drawing refers to a 1967 model. My understanding is that the car was changed fundamentally 1967 to 1968.

Any help/guidance or lessons learned would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

kent

I think everybody goes by those specs. Are you sure it's 67-68 and not 1969-1970 Dodge Coronet?

http://1970chargerregistry.com/Misc/Files/frame_specs.jpg

Anyway no two cars were built alike. I not sure if one inch would not of passed inspection. Meaning she was good to go back in 68. Have you driven this car? Any concerns in handling Mike??

I have a original 70 on a rotisseri right now. I could check mine to compare your measurements. Where are your questionable dimensions at front or back?
Kent

Dans 68

Have you checked against the factory shop manual? The FSM is usually the final arbitrator as to what is correct, especially frame dimensions. What measurement does not appear correct on your car? Someone here could check against their FSM.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Mike DC

1" variations in the non-critical sheetmetal panels from car to car?  Yes, possible.

Official reference points being built 1" off the factory specs?  I don't see that happening.  

If you don't have a definitely straight metal table/jig or something under the car, then suspect your measurements of being flawed first.  (I would NEVER trust any concrete floor.)  It can be quite frustrating trying to get good figures in home garage circumstances.  A thin horizontal beam of any material will be sagging over the length of 17-18 feet.  If it's not braced with several inches of vertical dimension then it's not straight.