News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEADLIGHT RELAY/BUZZER

Started by Sniper, March 19, 2019, 10:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sniper

Hello all,

Looking for insight, when I run my "70 Charger at night (with the headlights on) I have a buzzing from one of the relays. 

Do they still make a replacement relay?

Thanks,
Jerry

b5blue

The headlight doors are relay controlled, that relay is not available currently. (It was reproduced so may "come back".) The last time my headlight door motor broke an internal gear tooth the motor made an odd chattering sound in the up position. The noise was clearly from the motor in my situation.

Sniper

It's not the motor, definitely a relay or buzzer.

I believe the original part number is #2983605.

Does anyone have a working one for sale?

Thank you

70 sublime

Next time you have a chance turn the lights on and see if you hear the relay making noise then go out and un plug the head light motor to see if it stops
Wonder if it is trying to make the motor open farther and still trying
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Sniper

Hi 70sublime,

Its not the motor, its the sealed box (under the dash) with the points inside of it.  When I touch it I can feel it vibrating and when I unplug that the buzzing stops.

Thanks

70 sublime

http://1970chargerregistry.com/Misc/Files/wired.jpg

http://1970chargerregistry.com/Misc/Files/wired2.jpg

If you look at the bottom of these wiring diagrams you can see the relay you are talking about ( at least the one I think you are talking about )
It is used to put power to the head light door motor
As I said before I wonder if your motor is trying to open farther than it is to get to the shut off position when it is all the way open
The buzzing sound could be it is still drawing power is why I thought you could try un plugging the motor under the hood when the lights are in the open position
You have not said there is buzzing when lights are off and closed which makes me think it has something to do with the open settings ?

Sniper

Hi 70 sublime,

I see what your saying with motor trying to open the doors more.  tonight I will try to disconnect the motor plug, when the lights are on and see if it stops the noise.  If it does, can I assume the knob on the bottom of the motor will adjust the opening limits of the doors?

Thanks

70 sublime

Nope the knob on bottom just lets you open doors if the electric fails on the motor

If the buzzing stops with motor un plugged next thing I would try is the long square rod that goes to the doors
There is a ( or should be ) a clip that goes over the rod and over the round post that the rod goes into on the doors
Just squeeze it to make it loose and slide it down the rod so you can pop it out of the doors
You might have to turn the knob on bottom of the motor some to give it some slack to work with

Try the lights again with motor plugged in and doors un hooked to see if buzzing has stopped

If stopped buzzing doors just need to open a little farther
I think there are some end stops

If buzzing still might be something in the motor gear case not letting it open the power connector to tell it to stop turning that direction

I had all this stuff apart on my last 70 Charger  :2thumbs: