News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stainless steel ding/dent repair

Started by hemi68charger, March 19, 2019, 05:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Is there a successful outcome to repairing stainless steel rear window trim? Scratches I hear are easily polished out, but what about songs and dents? Any places that specialize in it?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Bronzedodge

Mopar forever!

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 19, 2019, 05:27:59 PM
Hey gang..
Is there a successful outcome to repairing stainless steel rear window trim? Scratches I hear are easily polished out, but what about songs and dents? Any places that specialize in it?

I sent you a pm with some info.

kent

I'm in the process of doing my own stainless trim. Like Bronzedodge said a few tools and a little direction and a way you go. But I was kind of nervous the first time I touched my practice piece with a file. Then went up the list to 5000 grit sand paper. Finished with green compound. Turned out better than expected. Just don't rush. And take little steps. And be sure not to file through trim. When I do mine I just barely take the dent out and slightly make the dent prominent then file flat. I use a sharpie as a guide coat to see the high and low spots.  I think shops charge around 20 to 30 bucks a foot to straighten and polish.

Read up about it on the web. A few good videos on you tube about it also. But might want to have a practice piece also before hitting your good trim.
Kent

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kent on March 21, 2019, 10:49:12 AMWhen I do mine I just barely take the dent out and slightly make the dent prominent then file flat. I use a sharpie as a guide coat to see the high and low spots.  

Ahhh, you beat me to it, I was going to suggest that one should use a black sharpie marker, makes getting all the high/lows easier to spot when filing or sanding, esp when any weld work is performed as well

Mike

kent

Kent

hemi68charger

Thanks guys... I went ahead and bought that 500/Daytona bottom molding that I saw on ebay... We'll see how she goes...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection