News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Parking Brake Cable Question

Started by kevs1969daytona, March 20, 2019, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

So I got my car back from the restoration shop (which is now closed permanently) and the parking brake is not working loose beyond belief.  This is a brand new cable and cross member.  As you can see from the pics the cable housing is loose in the cross member hole. It fits through a larger hole and then theres a small hole closer to the back that it almost big enough but has a clip on it stopping it from going through. Does anyone have a close up pic they could take so I can get my head wrap around what it's supposed to look like.  Also the last pic is a bracket that connects to the "2 cables" before they splits off into the rear brake the question is "IT THAT HOW I ADJUST THE TENSION"  so it's not loose. I attempted to adjust that nut but it seem seized up ???

b5blue

There is a do-dad clip that holds that cable end tight to the frame's inside. The nut is tight to that rod by design so it can't loosen.   :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on March 20, 2019, 08:49:15 PM
It fits through a larger hole and then theres a small hole closer to the back that it almost big enough but has a clip on it stopping it from going through.

The "clip" is intended to hold the cable housing in the small rear hole, you have to jam it hard so the clip will compress and pass through the hole then the clip expands to retain the housing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

green69rt

Quote from: b5blue on March 20, 2019, 10:01:17 PM
There is a do-dad clip that holds that cable end tight to the frame's inside. The nut is tight to that rod by design so it can't loosen.   :2thumbs:

Yes, the nut on the rod is a bugger to turn.  One wrench on the nut and one on the end of the rod (has a hex on it, or should.)  

Oh, and make sure the wrenches are correct and snug, you don't want to round the end of the rod off!

kevs1969daytona

Thanks guys.  I also found that I am missing the Parking Brake Bracket that's supposed to weld under the drivers floor pan to keep the cable from scraping the side of the frame and change the angle, that will also tighten everything up.  Will get one and bolt it up.  The floor pan is new and we missed welding one on.  I need the parking brake to work due to the manual transmission.

green69rt