News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 dodge truck keeps dying

Started by ACUDANUT, March 21, 2019, 02:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

My 76 Dodge keeps dying when I put in gear.  Any Ideas ???

ACUDANUT

Kern Dog

The carburetor could be running TOO lean.
Maybe UNrelated, but.....Years ago my Brother bought a 78 Dodge with a 225 and automatic. It would idle fine but stall every time it was put into gear. Reverse or drive, it still stalled out. I took the distributor cap and wires from a car I had and swapped them to the truck. It ran GREAT! Slapped into drive and actually peeled out. The old wires must have has way too much resistance in them.
One other thought, and maybe it is bullshit.....I have heard that in some vehicles with lockup torque converters, the converter gets locked (Maybe from old, bad ATF?) and while the engine will idle in Park or Neutral, once it is put into gear, the engine stalls because the vehicle isn't moving. In this case, you could disconnect the drive shaft to test?
Good luck.

b5blue

Check: voltage at the coil, grounds & connections, crud build up in carb.  :scratchchin:

70 sublime

Do you step on the brakes at the same time ?
Vacuum leak at brake booster ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

stripedelete

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 22, 2019, 09:31:35 AM
Do you step on the brakes at the same time ?
Vacuum leak at brake booster ?
That's what I was thinking.

ACUDANUT

Not hitting the brakes at all when it does this. It does not have the ground wire hooked up, I saw it hanging there. It does have 6 new quarts of ATF in it.

Todd Wilson

ACUDANUT

I am going to change plugs, cap and rotor. It seems to have a miss. Got to find out where.  I wish it has had headers.  I could use a heat gun to tell me which cylinder is not firing.
any other ways to get this done fast ?