News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Speed grinds in reverse UPDATE

Started by deepockets, March 22, 2019, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepockets

Having bought the car and rebuilt the engine without ever diving it, I have no knowledge if it did this before. Any how, when I put it in reverse to back out the garage it goes fine without any grinding. Any time after that it grinds pretty good. the only way I can get by that is to go from 1st gear to reverse really fast. I did use a Mcloud dual disc clutch for the easy pedal pressure. Any thoughts, or is having to replace the reverse gears a fairly common thing when the trans gets up the in the miles? the car is a 70 Road runner with the A833 trans.

Birdflu

Are you sure your clutch is being released all the way when the pedal is depressed? Reverse will have a tendency to squawk before first will if the clutch is still turning the transmission input shaft.

XH29N0G

Have you checked to see if adjusting the clutch changes anything.  I imagine you also tried double clutch (release the clutch in neutral, depress again) and then put in reverse.

I do not know the answer to your question if it is not related to the clutch dragging a little. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

Only things that will cause a grind in Reverse are a dragging clutch, a dragging pilot bearing or a disc seized on the input shaft.

Remove the bottom cover on the bellhousing and have somebody fully depress the clutch pedal. Check the disc clearance with a feeler gauge, if less than .030" or so adjust the clutch linkage. If there's plenty of disc gap, the other two possibilities are hard to determine without removal.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

deepockets

I'll pull the cover and start checking things. Thanks.

deepockets

I finally went under the car today to check and make sure there was a gap on both disc. The one closest to the pressure plate had lets say .030 or so clearance. The disc between the floater and flywheel was dragging a little. I ended up putting .028 shims to move the floater away from the disc. Now when the pedal is depresses both disc move freely. Test drove and work's perfectly with no grinding any more. To all that use the RXS, please check before trusting it's ok.