News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RV2 a/c compressor

Started by 67cruzer, April 08, 2019, 03:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67cruzer

Hi all,
I just reinstalled the original a/c system in my 67 charger after 20 + years. I have flushed the system and made the recommended changes to convert to r134. I rebuilt the compressor and removed the EPR valve. The shop manual calls for 11 ounces of compressor oil. The conversion kit contains 8-1/2 ounces of oil mixed with 3 ounces of r134. Can I add the balance of oil (PAG) to the compressor before charging the system?
Thanks

Pete in NH

Yes, you can add the additional oil into the compressor sump. Since you removed the EPR valve you will need to add a thermostatic switch with a sensing probe in the evaporator case. This switch should be wired in series with the compressor clutch to cycle the compressor to prevent it freezing up.

Start with about 70% of the recommended R-12 amount for the R-134A charge and slowly add additional R-134A for maximum cooling.

67cruzer

Thank you! I have the thermostat. I just need to pull a vacuum and pray for no leaks.
Thanks again.

67cruzer

No leaks. Great to have a place to get advice when you are trying to DIY.