News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else going to LED'S for garage lights ?

Started by ACUDANUT, March 25, 2019, 01:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I am tired of the slow warm up and buzz sound of traditional Florescent bulbs that always need replacing.
These LED lights that I now have, are super bright. I will never go back. Plus the only use 1/4 of the power. $$$

Birdflu

No brainer! Did my entire shop and place of work with ballast 'bypass' LED's. Very happy with the color and light!  :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

How much did yours cost ? I think I got a great deal at 40 Each. (used)

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

birdsandbees

After buying and sending back over $500 worth of various LED bulbs for the wife's new kitchen light before finally getting a set of 8 that I could live with.. that weren't either too dark, too bright, took your vision away if you even thought about glimpsing at them etc I'm terrified to even think about changing the dozen x 2 bulb x 8 foot fixtures in my shop. I love their light off the galvanized ceiling and not taking a chance on f'ng that up.

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

kent

I have the type of fixture that can handle T-8 or LEDs. For now I just have T-8s and lots of them that I got from work when they replaced there's with LEDs. Should really buy a few to see the difference. They are quite a bit brighter.
Kent

chargerbr549

I have a total of thirty-six T8 fluorescent bulbs I installed about 6 years ago and haven't had to replace one yet and you can taylor the color of the light to a certain extent. I had thought about the LED's but depending on how they are built some of them have a light pattern very similar to a bunch of tiny spotlights instead of a floodlight type of pattern which I tend to prefer. But I also have about twice as many bulbs in my garage compared to what alot of people would have, you darn near need sunglasses. LOL

Birdflu

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 25, 2019, 01:57:22 PM
How much did yours cost ? I think I got a great deal at 40 Each. (used)

Here's the ones I bought. They've been in service about a year and a half and other than having two of them damaged in shipping, no failures yet! I went with 5000K with frosted lenses. They seem to be the whitest. 4000K is slightly yellow and 6000K slightly blue/purple. The clear lenses are blinding to look at if you're ever on a creeper looking up! The best part about these bulbs is that they slip right into the old fixtures. You just cut the wires going to the ballast and wire them direct.

https://greenlightdepot.com/collections/8ft-led-tubes/products/8ft-40w-led-linear-tube-fa8-socket-dlc?variant=13214986731563

green69rt

I have 12 fixtures with 4 bulbs each in my garage.  Originals were T8.  As they fail, I've been replacing with LEDs.  They use about 1/2 the power but the light is different.  Much whiter and when I look at my car from different angles it looks like different shades.  Like being inside vs outside.  I would guess it's what you get use to.  Biggest driver for me was power savings and that annoying buzzing from the ballasts.  It did require rewiring each fixture but not a big deal if you can do simple wiring.

RallyeMike

Thanks for all the comments on this. I'm moving soon and the shop & garage have the old flourescents. This conversion will be high on the to do-list!

:2thumbs:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

alfaitalia

I thought about going this route and still might....although I do find the LED lights we have around the house a bit harsh on the eyes. I have 6 foot flouro tubes in my garage....never replaced one in 15 years....and I don't know how long they were there before I moved in!....and no buzzing.....just got lucky I guess....think I will go LED when they start to flicker though.... if they don't outlast me!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Troy

I'd have to really research the light as most LEDs blind me. There's been research that the glare from LED streetlights is really bad for your night vision and causes accidents. I have some in my kitchen but won't put them in any other rooms. Maybe I'll try some in the garage near where I weld (that would be nice!) before going all in.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

green69rt

Quote from: Troy on March 31, 2019, 12:53:39 PM
I'd have to really research the light as most LEDs blind me. There's been research that the glare from LED streetlights is really bad for your night vision and causes accidents. I have some in my kitchen but won't put them in any other rooms. Maybe I'll try some in the garage near where I weld (that would be nice!) before going all in.

Troy

I didn't like the first LEDs and would only use them inside a fixture that had a lens cover that would soften the light.  Now I see that they have finally come out with LEDs that are rated "soft white" etc.  I have some in one of our ceiling fixtures that are pretty nice.  I think they are called traditional or something like that. They almost look like an incandescent filament in color and in fact the LED element looks very much like a incandescent filament instead of those little LED squares. Much easier on the eyes.

Mike DC

I actually like the cool-temp 'daylight' bulbs in my shop lights.

I also use them at home.  I try to run them during the day and then use dimmer more yellow lights at night.  Trying to remind my body what the daylight is doing.

stripedelete

Quote from: kent on March 25, 2019, 03:40:41 PM
I have the type of fixture that can handle T-8 or LEDs. For now I just have T-8s and lots of them that I got from work when they replaced there's with LEDs. Should really buy a few to see the difference. They are quite a bit brighter.

Same here.   I bought an LED and several different T-8s.

What's interesting is I can tell difference between the T-8s and the LED during the day.   But at night, I can't tell the difference between the brightest T-8s and the LED.  The difference in price is $15, so I'm sticking with T-8s.

NHCharger

I've been thinking about converting the florescents in my shop to LED, good timing on the thread.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

johnnycharger

I changed out all of my bulbs with leds from amazon. About $2 ea. I added 2 sets of led tube lights from walmart $20 each. Much brighter in the garage now.

kent

Did you find any difference in the amazon lights compared to the Walmart ones?
Kent

johnnycharger

Thw walmart is a set of tubes the Amazon ones are incadecent style replacements.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: johnnycharger on April 15, 2019, 09:50:10 AM
I changed out all of my bulbs with leds from amazon. About $2 ea. I added 2 sets of led tube lights from walmart $20 each. Much brighter in the garage now.

So, you still have those Ballast resistors (boxes) ?  I thought those ate up electricity too  :shruggy:

green69rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 15, 2019, 11:53:52 PM
Quote from: johnnycharger on April 15, 2019, 09:50:10 AM

So, you still have those Ballast resistors (boxes) ?  I thought those ate up electricity too  :shruggy:

I rewired my fixtures to get rid of the ballasts.  The bulbs, that I got, came with a replacement socket at the power end.  Not a big deal.  That gets rid of the "buzz" and some power loss.

6PakBee

I am in the process of remodeling the shop and as part of that have converted a number of four tube florescents to LED's.  This is what that looks like.

ACUDANUT

c00nhunterjoe

I have 3 bulb, t5 ho fluresants in my home and shop garage. Super bright and No problem into single digits. Electric company just threw a killer deal at us for a nearly free upgrade to all led at work, will be swapped in the next month. Will let you know if there is any difference.

ACUDANUT

I am surprised the electric company did that. More usage equals more money for them. Anyway, keep us posted  :cheers: