News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANYONE EVER USED AMERICAN AUTOWIRE BEFORE

Started by kevs1969daytona, March 27, 2019, 06:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

Thinking of rewiring the whole car with new stuff.  Has anyone ever used this stuff on their 69 Charger ??

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/highway-22-panel-wiring-kit

WHITE AND RED 69

If you are going to go with their kits, go with the classic update kit. It's a bit more expensive but it will save you a bunch of time in the end. I've got it in my 69 and has been great. It has all the factory connectors so it works with just about all the factory items and has provisions for anything you decide to add. Only thing with that kit is it will not work with the factory a/c box, or the factory ammeter, and requires a one wire alternator.

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/1968-1970-mopar-b-body-classic-update-kit
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

TexasStroker

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 27, 2019, 09:16:19 PM
If you are going to go with their kits, go with the classic update kit. It's a bit more expensive but it will save you a bunch of time in the end. I've got it in my 69 and has been great. It has all the factory connectors so it works with just about all the factory items and has provisions for anything you decide to add. Only thing with that kit is it will not work with the factory a/c box, or the factory ammeter, and requires a one wire alternator.

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/1968-1970-mopar-b-body-classic-update-kit

Yep...If you aren't going 100% stock resto you can't beat the Classic Update.  The real advantage it has over the competitors is what White and Red mentioned...all new factory style connectors.  I didn't like the idea of paying $500+ for new wiring only to have to butcher the factory harness and re-use 50 year old connectors/plugs etc.  It also includes longer length wires should you opt to custom route anything.  I would advise you pick up their crimpers...it is really hard to find open barrel terminal crimpers that can handle everything.  I sprung for a few quality and less expensive options, but ultimately had to cave and pick their set up.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

kevs1969daytona

Thanks boys will order the proper set cheers  :cheers:

TexasStroker

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on March 28, 2019, 01:34:03 PM
Thanks boys will order the proper set cheers  :cheers:

Enjoy it!  It is a very nice kit!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

armor64

i bought mine last year, and they have now updated it to have a larger charging wire, and mega fuses for it, I was able to purchase the update parts bag from them as i was going to upgrade the charging circuit anyway for my 140A alternator. if you are getting a new one though it will probably have this update in the box.

we have used 2 of them so far on a 73 GMC with LS, and a 51 chevy truck, also with LS swap, and the harnesses are fantastic. had no reservations about getting one for the charger.

TexasStroker

Quote from: armor64 on March 29, 2019, 08:12:49 AM
i bought mine last year, and they have now updated it to have a larger charging wire, and mega fuses for it, I was able to purchase the update parts bag from them as i was going to upgrade the charging circuit anyway for my 140A alternator. if you are getting a new one though it will probably have this update in the box.

Good to know about the charging wire update...Might have to check in on that.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

CFMopar

Are these universal type kits or built specific for makes and models?

Was just checking for my 1971 charger and it's not even an option.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

armor64

the charging system upgrade is part - 510476, large gauge wire/megafuses/terminals ect. i priced it out up here in canada and it was cheaper getting it from them instead of piecing it together myself (apples to apples pieces)

the kit could probably work for other models/years, but the connectors and such may not work, like taillight plugs, console routing, and such. and the passthrough block for the firewall may need to be hacked in for 3rd gens? 

TexasStroker

Quote from: CFMopar on March 29, 2019, 04:49:27 PM
Are these universal type kits or built specific for makes and models?

Was just checking for my 1971 charger and it's not even an option.

They list it as an option: https://www.americanautowire.com/view-product/1971-74-mopar-b-body-classic-update-kit/

I couldn't find the Charging System Upgrade on their site, or Summit.  Is this perhaps it:
https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/6-gauge-alternator-connection-kit
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

armor64

yes, the support rep said they do not sell the alternator kit separately, but its in the new kits (with a price bump)
if you email or call, they can help you out (as they did for me) when i supplied the part number, via support email, i had a quote in a few hours, and all i had to do is call in and pay over the phone, and it was good to go. I received it in the mail within a week, up here to Ontario, Canada.

TexasStroker

Cool deal...I will try to get it ordered as I have not yet gotten to the motor bay.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!