News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2000 BMW 740 IL

Started by komninon, March 28, 2019, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komninon

not a charger question but..................
my uncle is selling his 2000 BMW 740 IL
17,000 original miles , original owner
mint condition in and out
always in heated garage

how much would you pay for something like this?
do you think the value is going to increase in the future with this low miles?

thinking about buying it!!!

thanks

JR

Is it an M sport or a standard E38?

Long wheelbase or short?

What color combo?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Ryan.C

As a former BMW level 1 tech (left the industry in 2012)I shy away from older models. They can be costly to repair. But if you are dead set on buying it high guess 7K
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

komninon

thanks everybody
long wheel base
not an m package
dark blue with tan interior
18 parallel wheel
$8

JR

I'm a huge BMW guy, I've owned several, and the 80s-late 90s models are my favorites.

As far as an investment, nah, you're going to lose your ass if that's the plan. This era of BMWs are actually more reliable than newer models, (less electronics/tech to fail) but you have to deal with age related issues from several components.

The cooling system is a wear item. Meaning radiator/water pump/all hoses have to be replaced every 5 years with normal use. Even with 17 k, I guarantee this would require attention if you drive the car any.

The e38 is a heavy car, and needs frequent suspension maintenance. Shocks tend to last 50k miles or so, bushings 80k. But both are likely bad from sitting.

The V8 is a durable engine, but requires you to stay on top of the timing chain guides. Letting them fail completely will ruin the engine. Install time is 8-10 hours.

The good is, this is probably the best driving full sized sedan ever built. It drives smaller than it is, handles great for a 4000lb vehicle, and the styling is classic and understated.

If it were an M sport in this condition I'd be all over it. But otherwise, unless you're in love with this particular car and are prepared to drop a few thousand into it right off the bat, I'd let it go to a hardcore BMW guy.

Just don't drive it, or you'll want to buy it.

I sold my E36 M3 recently, and am without a BMW for the first time in a decade now. I'm actively avoiding driving any so I don't rush out and buy another one. For a while, at least.

JR

Now having said all that, I have to say, these cars are sexy as hell. Lowering them slightly with the right wheel package is all they need to be perfect. Man I love these things. Just consider it like adopting an animal. It's a serious commitment, but so rewarding if you're up for it. (But again, you likely won't make a dime as an investment, unless you immediately find a BMW museum somewhere that may want it.)

They were built in an era when Germans prioritized quality of engineering and driving Dynamics over everything else. The modern equivalents are built to equate "tech" to luxury, and the soul has been removed from newer models. The turn of the century BMWs are the last "analog" examples we'll ever have. Hydraulic steering with great feedback, hydraulic power brakes, minimal driver aids, esc can be defeated with one button, etc.

These two posts are very contradictory, I suppose.

JR

What a classy car. I'd be debating this too if I were in your shoes.

komninon

thank you JR.........i still do not know what to do hahaha
it looks like the car in 1st picture you posted  with chrome moldings

Aero426

Anytime you can buy an expensive luxury car like this for ten cents on the dollar, there is a reason.    Let's just say they are not "Mustang 5.0 cheap" to run.

That said, for all the reasons outlined above, the wise thing to do is run.    On the other hand, if you want to have some fun, buy with your eyes fully open.  You can always leave it by the side of the road when you are done.   

Aero426

Quote from: JR on March 29, 2019, 11:56:26 PM

They were built in an era when Germans prioritized quality of engineering and driving Dynamics over everything else. The modern equivalents are built to equate "tech" to luxury, and the soul has been removed from newer models. The turn of the century BMWs are the last "analog" examples we'll ever have. Hydraulic steering with great feedback, hydraulic power brakes, minimal driver aids, esc can be defeated with one button, etc.

A friend has a very late model Audi A4 Sport with a manual.    It replaced her 2008 model.   Her car will never be out of sport mode and will see 90 on the interstate every day.     While this comment is not particular to analog performance,  she finds the whole tech and menu driven options on the new car infuriating.    I agree, in that "all I want is a mechanical switch or button" to turn things on and off.    Those days are long gone.     

odcics2

Quote from: JR on March 30, 2019, 12:01:17 AM

Except for the grill, it looks like an 80s Renault Premier.    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

alfaitalia

I thought the Renault Premier was sold as the Dodge Monaco that side of the pond. :shruggy:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

QuoteA friend has a very late model Audi A4 Sport with a manual.    It replaced her 2008 model.   Her car will never be out of sport mode and will see 90 on the interstate every day.     While this comment is not particular to analog performance,  she finds the whole tech and menu driven options on the new car infuriating.    I agree, in that "all I want is a mechanical switch or button" to turn things on and off.    Those days are long gone.     

Modern cars are laptops with wheels.  We're lucky that we aren't already getting brake failures from software glitches and having to unplug the battery to reset connections.

JR

Quote from: odcics2 on March 31, 2019, 10:45:07 AM

Except for the grill, it looks like an 80s Renault Premier.    :Twocents:

I could not disagree more, I dig the grille. It was the end of an era before manufactures started putting semi truck grilles on everything.

I love the blocky, 90s German styling personally.

Aero426

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 31, 2019, 11:24:56 AM
I thought the Renault Premier was sold as the Dodge Monaco that side of the pond. :shruggy:

Sold as the Eagle Premier and Dodge Monaco here.    I drove a Monaco once and it was quite unsatisfying.     Fortunately, through attrition. they have been purged from this part of the earth.  

Ponch ®

Quote from: JR on March 31, 2019, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on March 31, 2019, 10:45:07 AM

Except for the grill, it looks like an 80s Renault Premier.    :Twocents:

I could not disagree more, I dig the grille. It was the end of an era before manufactures started putting semi truck grilles on everything.

I love the blocky, 90s German styling personally.

That's hot. That gen of the 7 series exudes gravitas.

The other big german car that gets me worked up is the late 80s/early 90s W126 SEC coupe.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Aero426

I can see those 126 coupes being a nice collector car moving forward.   A rock solid platform you can still drive cross country.   

Ponch ®

Quote from: Aero426 on May 14, 2019, 02:19:30 PM
I can see those 126 coupes being a nice collector car moving forward.   A rock solid platform you can still drive cross country.   

And it was the hero in one of the greatest movies of all time...

https://youtu.be/rJ3ZJFHvXjI
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Mytur Binsdirti

German cars are great until you need to get them repaired.

JR

Agreed Ponch. I love 80s-90s German stuff. The 126 is legendary.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 15, 2019, 07:52:31 AM

Thats true of a lot of cars, including our beloved classic mopes.

"69 Chargers are great, until you need to find a NOS center grille that costs less than a small house"

Ponch ®

Quote from: JR on May 15, 2019, 03:11:11 PM
Agreed Ponch. I love 80s-90s German stuff. The 126 is legendary.

When I was a kid (11-13, in the early 90s) we had a family friend who had one. Metallic blue with white interior. Super clean  I wasn't that much into cars just yet but even then I was mesmerized by it.

Also, in retrospect, I think this family friend may have been a coke dealer, but thats an entirely different subject :rofl:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ponch ® on May 15, 2019, 03:58:00 PM

"69 Chargers are great, until you need to find a NOS center grille that costs less than a small house"

Apples and oranges. The difference being an appreciating antique car versus a 19 year old depreciating daily driver.

JR

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 16, 2019, 07:38:16 AM

Apples and oranges. The difference being an appreciating antique car versus a 19 year old depreciating daily driver.

In 1988, the 69 Charger WAS a 19 year old depreciating daily driver. Give it time. Every generation has it's own 32 Ford or 57 Chevy or 66 Mustang.

Let me introduce you to "RADwood".
https://www.radwood.co/ and https://jalopnik.com/this-car-show-gloriously-celebrates-your-80s-and-90s-dr-1796162218

Time moves on. Different generations become attached to different vehicles. The circle of life continues.

No one thought a 69 Charger would be worth anything back then.

"It's just an old car".
"They made too many."
"Parts are too hard to find and they suck to work on."
"They don't make em like they USED to. I had a 32 Ford when I was your age. That's a REAL car..."

Sound familiar?

Ponch ®

Quote from: JR on May 16, 2019, 10:36:02 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 16, 2019, 07:38:16 AM

In 1988, the 69 Charger WAS a 19 year old depreciating daily driver. Give it time. Every generation has it's own 32 Ford or 57 Chevy or 66 Mustang.

Let me introduce you to "RADwood".
https://www.radwood.co/ and https://jalopnik.com/this-car-show-gloriously-celebrates-your-80s-and-90s-dr-1796162218

Time moves on. Different generations become attached to different vehicles. The circle of life continues.

No one thought a 69 Charger would be worth anything back then.

"It's just an old car".
"They made too many."
"Parts are too hard to find and they suck to work on."
"They don't make em like they USED to. I had a 32 Ford when I was your age. That's a REAL car..."

Sound familiar?

Just doing some cursory research...some nicer examples of 126s aint exactly worth peanuts either...

https://bringatrailer.com/mercedes-benz/c126/

Likewise, try finding a decent 80s 911. Ok fine..Porsches are Porsches. So lets go  more mundane and show me  a cheap bmw e30.

JR

Agreed Ponch.

I've had a few E36 M3s and adore them, but clean ones are on the way up and I suspect I'll be priced out of the market soon anyways.

I've got a thing for the mid 90s C36 AMGs. The first amgs built after Mercedes bought them in house. They haven't begun to appreciate significantly yet, I think they're overlooked.

I'm halfway keeping an eye out for a clean one. The 80s and 90s are without a doubt the best era for German cars.

alfaitalia

.....just avoid the E Class W210; 1996–2002...aside from being pretty ugly that car had the worst rust issues Mercedes have had in recent times.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Dino

I've owned my 2010 A8L for about 15 months now an put around 26,000 miles on it. By far the best car I've owned. Rides like a dream. Should be a boring car, and compared to some models mentioned here it is, but what a fun bore!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lennard