News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Autotopia reviews a Steve Strope built 68 Charger

Started by JR, March 29, 2019, 08:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Steve Strope has to be one of my favorite builders. This is fantastic work. Not a new build, but a new review on it.

https://youtu.be/PAoysTsGbKU

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mike DC

Nice car.  Throwback touches all over it.

The lack of ground clearance under the headers would drive me nuts, though. 

Kern Dog

The switcheroo with the gauges is a very nice touch.

Mike DC

QuoteThe switcheroo with the gauges is a very nice touch.

It's very nicely performed.  But I am not sold on the idea. 

The factory design actually centers the tach & speedo in front of the driver's eyes pretty well.  It just looks wonky at a glance because the column itself isn't straight.  (Looking down at the car from above, the column is not parallel with the center line of the car.  The steering gearbox is closer to the middle than the steering wheel.) 

The gauge swap made the dash look more elegant but I suspect it's less ideal for driving.

Just my nitpicking opinions.     

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

The level of detail in this and his shop's other builds has long been an inspiration to me. Fantastic car.

David

chargermick

wow! One of the prettiest blues I've ever seen.

Bayareacharger

Nice build. I like the rear buckets seats. His builds are classy and not flamboyant.
It doesn't matter how your car looks, as long as you have one.

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike DC

Agreed on the rear seats.  It's a nice nod to the 1st-gen Chargers. 

chargerperson

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 31, 2019, 05:43:41 AM

Agreed on the rear seats.  It's a nice nod to the 1st-gen Chargers. 

Agree!  Well done.

Mytur Binsdirti

Is that the bottom of the radiator hanging down below the valance?

Mike DC

No, I think that's just the OEM radiator support.  It's a very low shot.  The radiator itself isn't mounted as low as original.  And that's an RMS front suspension behind it.

Mytur Binsdirti

Checked out the video. Other than a few exterior styling cues (unpainted radiator supports, unpainted vertical grill fins, hood scoop, no wheelwell moldings, sail panel emblems and red outline tail stripes, I like it. He did a particularly nice job on the interior.

darbgnik

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 01, 2019, 12:24:46 PM
Checked out the video. Other than a few exterior styling cues (unpainted radiator supports, unpainted vertical grill fins, hood scoop, no wheelwell moldings, sail panel emblems and red outline tail stripes, I like it. He did a particularly nice job on the interior.

I must be the only guy who isn't a fan of the wheel well moldings? I binned mine after the repaint. Never put the Charger scripts back on either...
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

JR

Quote from: darbgnik on April 01, 2019, 02:25:17 PM

I must be the only guy who isn't a fan of the wheel well moldings? I binned mine after the repaint. Never put the Charger scripts back on either...

I could take them or leave them, I don't have a strong opinion on them. But generally if it's a bone stock grandpa car, I prefer the mouldings. If it's a hot rod, or modified at all, I don't miss them.

I wouldn't run out and buy a set if I didn't already have them.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

chargerperson

Quote from: JR on April 01, 2019, 02:39:27 PM
Quote from: darbgnik on April 01, 2019, 02:25:17 PM

I could take them or leave them, I don't have a strong opinion on them. But generally if it's a bone stock grandpa car, I prefer the mouldings. If it's a hot rod, or modified at all, I don't miss them.

I wouldn't run out and buy a set if I didn't already have them.

I have a original looking (restored to original inside/outside) restomod (no #s matching so modern powertrain/suspension/brakes) so I kept the wheel mouldings but they blend in with the silver paint.  I do drive the car a bit so the tie breaker was to retain them to protect the car

Brass

I'll add that two of the taillight lenses appear to be missing the center trim pieces. 

orange383

I prefer the original dash layout and interior!