News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any ideas? Right rear sits lower than the left

Started by skippychad, March 29, 2019, 10:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skippychad

So here's a brain buster.   I've owned the 69 charger for 25 years and the right rear always sat lower than the left.  I could never have anyone in the back seat because the tire would rub the wheel well if I hit a bump.   I remedied this years back with air shocks thinking it was just a wore out leaf spring.   Just replaced the leaf springs with mopar performance and also put in gas shocks.   I lowered the car tonight and the same problem is there.  I measured the axle at each side and it is the same on both sides.  The leafs are hooked up in the same location on both sides.   The wheel well cut out is an inch higher on the left versus the right in relation to the top of the tire.    The frame seems to be relatively close on each side, so I don't think it's a twisted frame.  I'm scratching my head on this one.   The front is a little off too but not by much.   The torsion bars height seems equal too.  Any ideas?

cdr

Raise the rt front & lower the left front, it will get the car level , go 1/2 turn at a time, this is if the rt rear is lower,  your title says left is lower, in the post it says rt rear is lower, ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BLK 68 R/T

Are your replacement springs the 440/Hemi springs with unequal leaf counts between the two?

XH29N0G

I don't think the tire shouldn't rub either way.  I also was going to mention that the left right balance in the back can be affected by how the torsion bars are set in the front, but I didn't think it could get to the point of rubbing in the wheel well. If you haven't set the torsion bars (ride height) before, read up on it and be careful when doing it.  I don't think it is a super bid deal, but I seem to recall some safety precautions to observe.   If it doesn't fix easily, I would consider taking measurements and looking into other possibilities, but I don't know what to suggest as a measurement. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mike DC

Are the outer wheelhousings & quarter skins original?  Maybe it was an issue with past resto work.

The factory engineers would tell you that your back tires are way too big for the car.  In theory they shouldn't be rubbing anywhere, ever.   

skippychad

Thanks everyone.   Unsure if the rear qtrs are original.  I assume so.  As for the leafs.   The right has one extra leaf.   But the others et I just replaced were original and equal.   They had the same issue.   I'll mess with the torsion bars a little today.  You can actually see the difference in a gap of the top of the tire an the quarter panel cutout.   

skippychad

so I crank the RH torsion almost all of the way up and cranked the LH most of the way down.  Pretty much have double the amount of threads showing in the gap vs the other.  the car is now level.  I need some ballast to check the rubbing in the wheelwell. 
Side note.  I wish this forum would allow larger picture size so I can upload straight from my phone

Mopar Nut

Quote from: skippychad on March 30, 2019, 04:22:16 PM
I wish this forum would allow larger picture size so I can upload straight from my phone

How much bigger are your pictures then this?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

XH29N0G

I think the key is the file size on pictures.  I know how to do this with snip tool on the computer.  Would a screen capture on the phone do the same thing?  

If it works, there is one very important rule of etiquette to observe. No vertical pictures.  Some here don't like vertical pictures and you might accidentally derail your thread.   :smilielol:

By the way, the only reason I pose this as a question and say if it works is because I can't even sign on using my phone.  It might not work and if not, my apologies.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

darbgnik

Quote from: skippychad on March 30, 2019, 04:22:16 PM

Side note.  I wish this forum would allow larger picture size so I can upload straight from my phone

Text the pic to yourself, then post the one you received, should be resized small enough....
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html