News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After 35 years I'm ouda here...

Started by triple_green, March 30, 2019, 10:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Congrats, Mark! I've got about 5.5 years to go (Lord willing) and then I plan to move somewhere much cheaper and get a different job or start a business. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, all I know is that I'm not going to do it in Portland.

flyinlow

Congratulations!

I have spent a good portion of the last 35 years trying to wear your products out. You built some awesome aircraft (747-400, 757-200) thank you. A couple more years I am flying off to retirement myself.

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 01, 2019, 02:04:53 PM
What is standard retirement age over there? Here its 65 for men and 60 for women....which always seems unfair to me...especially as on average women live longer than men. Of course many here retire earlier or later then that...but that's the age you can claim your government pension....my dad is still pretty much full time at 74....and he does not even need to work! Been with the same farm for 60 years...I guess he quite likes it!

Standard...I'd say that is a hard target to identify at least in my trade. I am in a Union that has retirement benefits. We can retire after 10 years of service but we have to be 54 years old to start collecting unless we are medically disabled before then. Every year after 10, the benefits increase. 30 is my magic number that I am aiming for and I should get there in about 8 months.
I used to hear of people getting a "Gold watch" at 20 years, this was a symbol of a retirement present but it seems odd to me that if a person went to work at 25 that they would be done at 45.
The Government started a taxpayer funded retirement program we call "Social Security" in the 40s. THAT program has been the very essence of a shape shifter
since the inception. The initial idea was to provide an additional source of income after retirement, NOT to be the sole source of income. It was also intended to ONLY be for citizens of the US. Initially, and these numbers are surely not 100% accurate, there were 45 people paying in for every ONE person taking a benefit. Over time, that number has changed dramatically to where VERY soon, there will be MORE recipients than there are people paying in. There are a few places to blame....ONE is declining birth rates. Another is how the list of eligible participants expanded far beyond what was ever intended.
The smart Americans look for ways to either set aside money for retirement through investments or annuities, work a job with a GOOD pension or just keep working.
Others play the lottery or marry a rich woman despite her size or appearance.

odcics2

Don't forget the FICA tax we all pay.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69rtse4spd

Congrats man, 34 years at G.M. in tool and die, be 60 in Oct., still plugging away, enjoy the trade & money is nice. H a long& happy retirement. :2thumbs:.