News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with shelving support issue

Started by rikubot, April 03, 2019, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hi all I had a question about how to set up my bench around my shelving. As of right now there are a couple of brackets in the way of my setup and I'd like to see what solutions you would recommend. I won't be storing a lot of weight on it, mainly what you see in the picture and possibly a couple things more. I'd like to get those brackets outta the way of my work space. Thanks,
Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

Gold Rush

I'd suggest to add a 2 X 4 to the bottom of the existing shelf frame (3.5 inch vertical) and suspend the shelf from the rafters.  2 X 4 work for this also but get in the way.  You might use steel cable or chains instead.  Won't be a strong as your present supports but you say that may not be an  issue.

Good luck!!
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

rikubot

Great ideas. How much load do you think those rafters can support if I hang them from the top? I don't have much up there as of now, just a Christmas tree in the middle.
'69 Charger, 440/727

RallyeMike

Replace the horizontal support for your shelf with a 2x6 all the way across the garage and you won't need any intermediate vertical supports below or on top. If you want to put a lot more weight up there than you have now, or you want the 2x6 to be two pieces, then add a 4x4 post in the middle. It will be plenty strong enough and limit interference for a work bench or for storage on top.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

green69rt

Quote from: rikubot on April 03, 2019, 01:46:18 PM
Great ideas. How much load do you think those rafters can support if I hang them from the top? I don't have much up there as of now, just a Christmas tree in the middle.

I would do Rallymikes idea except I see interference at one end and you'd block the breaker box at the other.   I think you're going to need the hanging design.   Run the 2x4s, that you hang the self from, all the way up to the roof rafters.  tie them to the rafters and the ceiling joists.  It's so close to the wall that you could put a lot of there and not worry.

Gold Rush

X 2..  Doing both anchor points will really give you more than you would want on the shelves anyway.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

RallyeMike

QuoteI would do Rallymikes idea except I see interference at one end and you'd block the breaker box at the other. 

You just build the shelf a couple inches higher up to clear the box, remove the interference, and/or put a post or tie it into the studs on either end. Vertical supports are going to be an annoying blockage to access. Maybe not an issue if only small stuff is going to be stored up there, but with the bumpers and seats I see, I'd be looking for as much clear access as possible.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

Being you're working in this area, might I recommend getting a few sheets of plywood and boxing this area in as well?  Looks like it'd take 5 or 6 sheets to do the back wall.

rikubot

Quote from: JB400 on April 04, 2019, 01:22:39 AM
Being you're working in this area, might I recommend getting a few sheets of plywood and boxing this area in as well?  Looks like it'd take 5 or 6 sheets to do the back wall.

I like that idea. I have some pegboard I got from a store closing down real cheap and was thinking of using that.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I'm a little confused on a couple ideas but I've got a little sketch I'll upload later showing what I got out of your suggestions. The steel cable seems like a cheap and easy solution. I'm not too worried about blocking off the space as long as it's not difficult to get a grill or seats up there. Maybe three suspended cables all the way across?
'69 Charger, 440/727

draftingmonkey

I like the idea of cable. I would lay a 2x6 across the joists overhead to spread the weight out and attach eyelet bolts backed with large washers to this. On the bottom attach a 2x4 across the front and again attach eyelet bolts through the shelf & 2x4 with washer and nut on the bottom. I would use 4 hangers equally spaced along the shelf. At the end and in the mid points where the cables attach run a 2x4 support from the front 2x4 to the back one attached to the wall. Use cables with a hook on at least the bottom. This will allow you to detach a hanger temporarily to put up larger items like seats, grills, and other larger items.
Heck, install some lighting under the shelf for bench lighting if you want (or that fluorescent fixture that is on the pegboard in your picture).

BSB67

Honestly, there are a few different ways to do this without hanging support from the rafters.  If the shelf is 18" deep or less, just buy the thin stamped metal brackets from the hardware store or box store.  Take your shelf down, put up your peg board, mount the brackets, install your shelf.

Of just make L shaped brackets out of quality plywood and mount them to the side of the wall studs. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

sunfire69

I did the same thing but I hung mine with 3/8 threaded rod....every 4 feet spanned the joists like you talked about ....you don't need one at the wall just 4 feet out and where your 8 foot 2x4 meet put a rod in the end of each one of them....that means you have 2 rods about 6 to 8 inches apart at each joint so you don't have to worry about the joints sagging..

Old Moparz

Not sure what you have in mind as far as budget & carpentry skills, but why not redo the entire wall? You can get more use out of small space if you incorporate the bench with shelves that are both open & enclosed.

Will you still be storing bucket seats on the shelving? They are heavy so that forces you to make it heavy duty.

If you like photos of ideas this site has lots of them.....

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50406

This guy is a member on the site I linked above. He's made incredible use of a small space.....

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/index.html
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

rikubot

Sorry for the absence lately. I've been stuck doing work around the house and haven't gotten a lot of time to spend in the garage. I have been checking in periodically and reading all responses. There are some good solutions. I haven't priced out 2x6s but I'm thinking one of those with some steel cable would be my cheapest and most effective solution. I've got a couple other things I still need to move around. That set of cabinets on the far right should be moved al well, and I was thinking of putting the gray shelving in that area. The 440 I just got home will probably go to the left of the work bench when not being scrubbed (stripping the paint, cleaning, and doing new baskets for a new paint job).
'69 Charger, 440/727