News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 headlight bezel

Started by Kowal, January 25, 2018, 07:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowal

Question...should the black in the headlight bezel be all black, or have the thin metal lines showing through?    Which is right?

Here is a NOS part, and also my car as is now.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

Kowal

Here is another one of mine as is today.

Also another used one off of e-bay.

41husk

The silver should be on there to look like the rest of the grill.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

odcics2

A Coronet part has silver, C-500 blacked out ?    :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Kowal

Quote from: odcics2 on January 25, 2018, 09:41:27 AM

My question exactly

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on January 25, 2018, 09:41:27 AM

That was my impression on all the C500's I have ever seen....... I know the center grille section is blacked out, so I would presume the bezels would be too......

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Kowal

What got me going on this was that I had noticed a close up picture in the David Wise MMC books on Dodge B-Bodies where the bezels still had their silver highlight lines in place even though the grill was blacked out.

Hence the question.   

hemi68charger

Quote from: Kowal on January 25, 2018, 10:29:17 AM
What got me going on this was that I had noticed a close up picture in the David Wise MMC books on Dodge B-Bodies where the bezels still had their silver highlight lines in place even though the grill was blacked out.

Hence the question.   

Wouldn't surprise me since the cars were hand built at Creative Industries, that some would have not matched.........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 25, 2018, 10:38:08 AM
Quote from: Kowal on January 25, 2018, 10:29:17 AM

Hence the question.   

Wouldn't surprise me since the cars were hand built at Creative Industries, that some would have not matched.........

You can only go by vintage photos of the cars when new.
Since the cars were all built at Creative, one would think they would have been shipped bezels all the same to match the grilles.
Any original C-500s built with non blacked out grilles?

69_500

All unrestored cars I have seen they have been all black

white

69 500

I would think someone would have checked the 68 parts book for the part # compared to the 69 part#. if they were different in "any way" they would have different part #'s. if they were the same it carry the same number , correct?

UFO

Quote from: 69 500 on February 11, 2018, 11:33:20 AM
I would think someone would have checked the 68 parts book for the part # compared to the 69 part#. if they were different in "any way" they would have different part #'s. if they were the same it carry the same number , correct?

Different numbers.

5hunert

Quote from: 69_500 on February 09, 2018, 09:34:04 PM
All unrestored cars I have seen they have been all black

I just checked my unrestored car, they're black too.

Kowal

Great.   So different numbers in the parts book and black on unrestored cars should about prove it.

Funny in that in the David Wise books, he then has a wrong picture, as he shows a 500 grill with the silver lines.    I probably should send him a note!

Mytur Binsdirti

Base 68 Coronet with silver grille & headlight bezels...

68 Coronet R/ & Super Bee had the black grill & headlight bezels....

odcics2

Kowal

I know this has been settled...but...

I was just at the Wheels of Yesteryear museum in Myrtle Beach.   They have a C500 there on display.   Paul, the owner, and his brother bought the car off the original owner decades ago (a High School teacher who got promoted and needed to upgrade his ride to match his new role) and did a partial repaint on it to repair some damage to the bottom of one of the front fenders while they had it stored.   So a survivor car, had some miles on it but lots of great details.   He swears the front grill pieces are all what came with the car.   It did have all the metal pieces, etc.

The head lamp bezels have the silver unpainted grid.

So I am guessing another example of Mopar doing what was expeditious to get the cars out.

By the way, if anyone ever gets the chance to go there, you should.    Great place and people.   Easily 6 Hemi cars, a Daytona and a Superbird as well as the C500, in what is a constantly rotating display of the cars they bought over the years.  

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 13, 2018, 08:33:25 PM

Quote from: Kowal on January 25, 2018, 07:21:36 AM
Here is another one of mine as is today.

Also another used one off of e-bay.

I believe the screws should have a black plating to them so they aren't so obvious...

Just as eluded to, the bezels should be blacked out.... Here is a picture of Richard's 610 car, the unrestored original...

Troy

Dragon Slayer

I know most folks want to assume all the parts are original, but even if bought 4 decades ago from the original owner, what could have been changed in the first 10 years.  Minor front bump and the grill could have been changed.

We have a club member orig owner of aero car.  First decade or 2 is was a family car, driven across country, 2 minor accidents, normal maint.  Then recognized as a valuable asset and preserved.  Not restored, but... from those first years, all those number matching date code parts are gone.  Starter, alternator, MC, Booster, Drums, water pump, distributor, fender, hood, etc....  Routine maintenance.

Seems to me you would have to be an original owner who kept meticulous records in the 60s?  I also remember buying my first car in the late 70s.  People did not freely admit the car was in an accident, or had major repairs.  Things where always my grandmother drove it on Sunday.

If it is a valuable car, the first inclination is to say all original, or factory error.  Some can't be proven wrong, so...  In other cases they can be, like that MC wasn't made until 1971, so no way it was on your 69 car as a factory error.

Moparpoolman

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 13, 2018, 08:33:25 PM
Base 68 Coronet with silver grille & headlight bezels...

Is that your Super Bee?

Highbanked Hauler

The Coronet RT had black grill and headlight doors  which the 500 had and everything else had the (silver) grill and doors. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser