News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroker fuel pump dilemma

Started by fatboy.88, April 06, 2019, 07:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatboy.88

Hi guys,just had a 493 stroker built which made 576 Hp and 615 ftlb of torque on the dyno. :icon_smile_big:
Firefighter Ron pointed me in the right direction, so thanks Ron for your time and suggestions on the build which I do intend to but up on this site.

I could do with some help again on which fuel pump to use with this combination. I had intended to use a mechanical pump like the Carter strip super but my engine builder suggested I needed a higher GPH and recommended the Holley black electrical pump. I'm not keen on electric pumps and would prefer to stay with a mechanical unit.
Is this possible on a build like this or would it run lean at the top? The Carter pumps  free flow is 120 GHP.

If I do go with the Holley I've read that mounting it on the rear shock cross member is a good position but it would sit above the tank  which as you know is not recommended by Holley. Also I have a Dana 60 which does tend to get in the way.

Any help would be greatly received.

Paul G

I have had several Holley electric pumps on various cars. All have left me on the side of the road. All removed and replaced with reliable mechanical pumps. If you do use an electric pump opt for a higher end pump. They are not cheap, but more reliable. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

cdr

after all the fuel pump pushrod issues , I went with a Tanks inc setup in tank efi pump with a return regulator.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BSB67

It may, or may not work with the mechanical pump.  Just try it.  Put a gauge on it so you can see the pressure while driving.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

ChargerST

What about a CV products billet mechanical fuel pump? These are NASCAR pumps and support up to 800hp (depending on spring used) and the best part is they fit Mopar 440 blocks! Used ones are available on ebay (make sure to get a Doge version - the Chevy, Ford versions do not fit).

TexasStroker

Quote from: cdr on April 06, 2019, 11:33:41 AM
after all the fuel pump pushrod issues , I went with a Tanks inc setup in tank efi pump with a return regulator.

I'd advise the same.  You can try the mechanical route like BSB67 said, but if it comes up short I would just go in-tank.  It is getting easier and more cost effective.  Similarly, another perk is that if you just built the engine you can get a new tank and run new lines.

Should be a really nice mill for street/strip action!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!