News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wheel well molding quality, repro vs used

Started by 69RT/Chrgr, April 07, 2019, 07:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RT/Chrgr

I need to figure out if I am going to try to clean up and polish my original wheel well moldings, or buy a new set so I can drill the holes in my rear wheel wells. Although my originals aren't horrible, I don't know if its worth trying to polish them if someone makes a new set that are good quality. Are there different levels of quality on the repros? or are they all the same? It's amazing hpw many of these repro parts are made by more than one company. would like some feedback from experience.

Thanks

Duane

BLK 68 R/T

My front ones are original and in perfect condition, the rears I did purchase reproduction. I ended up ordering them from Year One after much research on who's fit the best. They fit decent and look nice, I would't say the fit was perfect. Seems like every reproduction part needs a little tweak here or there to make it fit.

doctor4766

I bought a set of repro moldings about 10 years ago as mine were completely missing.
They're not too bad and fit alright, but they're quite a thin metal compared to what you'd expect genuine ones would be. A bit "tinny" is probably the best description. Much like the repro drip rail molds are.
I think they cost me AU$300 at the time in Australia.
Gotta love a '69

70 sublime

Better question
If you have to drill holes in your rear 1/4s for them to fit are your rear 1/4s new as in not original ?
If new have you tried your original chrome on them to see how well they might even fit ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

DAY CLONA

The only WOM repros that will fit original and most repro sheetmetal are from Year One, no I don't know the vendor they use, but the molding are very good...and I've tried what the others offer....

Year One offered 2 "levels" of Charger WOM's, opt for the "premium" set offered...

69RT/Chrgr

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 08, 2019, 05:14:30 AM
Better question
If you have to drill holes in your rear 1/4s for them to fit are your rear 1/4s new as in not original ?
If new have you tried your original chrome on them to see how well they might even fit ?

Yes, I installed new 1/4's on the car so I need to drill for whatever WWM's I use, I would not use mine because I am not sure they are going to come out as nice as I would like them to, due to some scrapes, dings etc. So I am just debating on getting a new set, unless the repros aren't really that good. I am going to work on mine and see how the look when I am done.

Duane

paironines

I bought a set once maybe Metro? I dont remember but I wasnt happy with them and now seek out original ones.