News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger Buying Advice

Started by Christianlondon, April 07, 2019, 06:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christianlondon

Hello from the U.K  ;)
I've just joined as I am at the point now where I can buy my Dream car.I'm looking for a 68/69 440 Charger in Black with the Vinyl Top
I have been looking all over the Net but the only one that I have found around my price range is this one

https://www.route65salesandclassics.com/details/used-1969-dodge-charger/45327305

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this car.I contacted the company and they said that the paint is the usual Driver quality and the Interior needs tidying
Any help appreciated

Birdflu

Hi! I don't know anything about the history of the car, but oddly enough, my wife and I, for the first time, stopped by this place last week. We were there just to stop in and check them out as we live only a few miles away and had never stopped. I didn't spend much time looking at the Charger, but the paint work was at best novice. I recall the black paint was somewhat cloudy and in need of a cut-n-buff, but at 53 years of age, I've become a pretty tough customer. If you end up persuing the car, get plenty of pictures and ask a ton of questions. I don't want to get into a full blown inspection, but if you ended up needing someone to swing by and verify a thing or two, I'd be glad to help!  :cheers: 

Christianlondon

Thanks for the reply..What a coincidence. I was looking at a very nice Turquoise one too but I really prefer the Black.I guess it comes down to whether a Buff and Polish would make it presentable or it would need a full Respray...It appears in the video that a couple of the gauges may not be Working either..I'm guessing its probably priced a bit High taking all that into consideration and that it has a Missing fender tag.Thanks for the offer to Inspect it.What do you think a realistic price would be for it?

darbgnik

Looks like  a novice definitely put in the trunk pan. Welds are terrible, as well as alignment, and the sheetmetal screws holding it to the inner wheel wells are still there. Looks like the heater box may be missing, or very least the heater core....

The wiring looks like a hack job, and most of the interior will need to be replaced or reconditioned....

The fact that there is no fender tag is basically irrelevant, seeing as it's a clone of an RT, not a real one, as well as black isn't the original color.

Overall it looks reasonably solid to my novice eye(most needed new trunk pans, mine included), but it'll need a lot of work to make right, if you want it to be right. With today's silly Charger prices, I'd think it's a 30,000 dollar car, but I wouldn't pay that much?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

70 sublime

Not Charger seats front or back
That will bug you over time once you know what the right ones look like
No seat belts in back seat
Also looks like the vacuum hoses for the head light doors are just rolled up on the inner fender so I doubt they will open

A first Charger purchase is always a big learning lesson and usually leads to buying a second Charger with what you learned on the first one and what to really look for :icon_smile_big:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Mopar Nut

Here's a real 1969 Charger R/T in town over from me.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Christianlondon

Thanks for all your replies.I'm going to pass on that.I wanted something  I could drive around London and take to shows but that probably will need to much.I wondered why he had had it so long.Is that black one for sale?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 07, 2019, 09:09:29 PM
Is that black one for sale?

Yes, I just talk to the seller, he's sending a picture of the fender tag.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

70 sublime

Mopar Nut

Mopar Nut

Christianlondon

Nice car but that's over my Budget unfortunately

Mopar Nut

Christianlondon

My Budget is $45000 as I have to then add shipping and Taxes etc when it gets here

Birdflu

Just curious...if you purchased a car for $40K...how much additional is shipping and tax going to run?

Christianlondon

Shipping is around $2000 and I'm guessing the Tax will be about the same or slightly more

darbgnik

I'd definitely keep shopping then.... cheaper isn't always cheaper. Best to spend an extra 5 or 10K upfront and save 15 to 20K later......
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 07, 2019, 09:40:31 PM
My Budget is $45000 as I have to then add shipping and Taxes etc when it gets here

That's a good budget. I'm sure the guy will come down on his asking price.

chargervert

I would bet that your 45k could probably buy that black 69 Charger. It looks like a nice,slightly modified driver Charger. While he is asking 60k for it,people buying Chargers in that price range will be looking for a car that is more OEM correct.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: chargervert on April 08, 2019, 02:20:42 AM
I would bet that your 45k could probably buy that black 69 Charger. It looks like a nice,slightly modified driver Charger. While he is asking 60k for it,people buying Chargers in that price range will be looking for a car that is more OEM correct.

True, this one isn't a factory Black and doesn't have the vinyl top he wants too. There's is a 68 factory Black Charger red interior survivor driver in SLC, but the guy wants 33k or trade for a 69 Charger.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 07, 2019, 09:40:31 PM

45 is a good number for a 383 car & for that kind of dough, it should be close to perfect. However, if you are color specific, be prepared for a long wait.

TNT

The car your looking at is a grossly overpriced daily driver.  The seats, carpet, dash, instruments,steering wheel should have all been addressed.  Stay away from the car, if they don't spend money fixing the cosmetics that are unlikely to have paid any attention to the mechanical aspects of the car.   Don't spend your money without having someone trustworthy inspect it for you.

TNT

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: TNT on April 08, 2019, 06:26:19 AM
The car your looking at is a grossly overpriced daily driver.  The seats, carpet, dash, instruments,steering wheel should have all been addressed.  Stay away from the car, if they don't spend money fixing the cosmetics that are unlikely to have paid any attention to the mechanical aspects of the car.   Don't spend your money without having someone trustworthy inspect it for you.

TNT

I think the correct term for that car would be polished turd.

Challenger340

Best advice I can offer...
Finding a good one is 90%.... budgets imo, being only 10%.

If you reverse the above according to what's in your price range, I think a guy ends up trying for best "bang for buck" model-wise in a purchase, then subsequently later spending until done to make it right.
If your Budget is $40K.... FORGET an actual R/T.... because anything actually worth owning in the way of an REAL R/T that's a good Car, and can be driven hassle free ain't $40K.  All you are buying is a "lipstick on a Pig" money pit for $40K !

IMO with $40K ?
Look for a really well maintained with documented history 383 or highly optioned 318 example, a solid and well running Car someone hasn't bubba'd for a Sale.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

70 sublime

Something like this might be interesting
You would not have to keep it forever but it would not loose any value either while still keeping an eye out for the dream car

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/88831