News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger Buying Advice

Started by Christianlondon, April 07, 2019, 06:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christianlondon

Hello from the U.K  ;)
I've just joined as I am at the point now where I can buy my Dream car.I'm looking for a 68/69 440 Charger in Black with the Vinyl Top
I have been looking all over the Net but the only one that I have found around my price range is this one

https://www.route65salesandclassics.com/details/used-1969-dodge-charger/45327305

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this car.I contacted the company and they said that the paint is the usual Driver quality and the Interior needs tidying
Any help appreciated

Birdflu

Hi! I don't know anything about the history of the car, but oddly enough, my wife and I, for the first time, stopped by this place last week. We were there just to stop in and check them out as we live only a few miles away and had never stopped. I didn't spend much time looking at the Charger, but the paint work was at best novice. I recall the black paint was somewhat cloudy and in need of a cut-n-buff, but at 53 years of age, I've become a pretty tough customer. If you end up persuing the car, get plenty of pictures and ask a ton of questions. I don't want to get into a full blown inspection, but if you ended up needing someone to swing by and verify a thing or two, I'd be glad to help!  :cheers: 

Christianlondon

Thanks for the reply..What a coincidence. I was looking at a very nice Turquoise one too but I really prefer the Black.I guess it comes down to whether a Buff and Polish would make it presentable or it would need a full Respray...It appears in the video that a couple of the gauges may not be Working either..I'm guessing its probably priced a bit High taking all that into consideration and that it has a Missing fender tag.Thanks for the offer to Inspect it.What do you think a realistic price would be for it?

darbgnik

Looks like  a novice definitely put in the trunk pan. Welds are terrible, as well as alignment, and the sheetmetal screws holding it to the inner wheel wells are still there. Looks like the heater box may be missing, or very least the heater core....

The wiring looks like a hack job, and most of the interior will need to be replaced or reconditioned....

The fact that there is no fender tag is basically irrelevant, seeing as it's a clone of an RT, not a real one, as well as black isn't the original color.

Overall it looks reasonably solid to my novice eye(most needed new trunk pans, mine included), but it'll need a lot of work to make right, if you want it to be right. With today's silly Charger prices, I'd think it's a 30,000 dollar car, but I wouldn't pay that much?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

70 sublime

Not Charger seats front or back
That will bug you over time once you know what the right ones look like
No seat belts in back seat
Also looks like the vacuum hoses for the head light doors are just rolled up on the inner fender so I doubt they will open

A first Charger purchase is always a big learning lesson and usually leads to buying a second Charger with what you learned on the first one and what to really look for :icon_smile_big:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Mopar Nut

Here's a real 1969 Charger R/T in town over from me.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Christianlondon

Thanks for all your replies.I'm going to pass on that.I wanted something  I could drive around London and take to shows but that probably will need to much.I wondered why he had had it so long.Is that black one for sale?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 07, 2019, 09:09:29 PM
Is that black one for sale?

Yes, I just talk to the seller, he's sending a picture of the fender tag.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

70 sublime

Mopar Nut

Mopar Nut

Christianlondon

Nice car but that's over my Budget unfortunately

Mopar Nut

Christianlondon

My Budget is $45000 as I have to then add shipping and Taxes etc when it gets here

Birdflu

Just curious...if you purchased a car for $40K...how much additional is shipping and tax going to run?

Christianlondon

Shipping is around $2000 and I'm guessing the Tax will be about the same or slightly more

darbgnik

I'd definitely keep shopping then.... cheaper isn't always cheaper. Best to spend an extra 5 or 10K upfront and save 15 to 20K later......
Brad

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 07, 2019, 09:40:31 PM
My Budget is $45000 as I have to then add shipping and Taxes etc when it gets here

That's a good budget. I'm sure the guy will come down on his asking price.

chargervert

I would bet that your 45k could probably buy that black 69 Charger. It looks like a nice,slightly modified driver Charger. While he is asking 60k for it,people buying Chargers in that price range will be looking for a car that is more OEM correct.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: chargervert on April 08, 2019, 02:20:42 AM
I would bet that your 45k could probably buy that black 69 Charger. It looks like a nice,slightly modified driver Charger. While he is asking 60k for it,people buying Chargers in that price range will be looking for a car that is more OEM correct.

True, this one isn't a factory Black and doesn't have the vinyl top he wants too. There's is a 68 factory Black Charger red interior survivor driver in SLC, but the guy wants 33k or trade for a 69 Charger.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 07, 2019, 09:40:31 PM

45 is a good number for a 383 car & for that kind of dough, it should be close to perfect. However, if you are color specific, be prepared for a long wait.

TNT

The car your looking at is a grossly overpriced daily driver.  The seats, carpet, dash, instruments,steering wheel should have all been addressed.  Stay away from the car, if they don't spend money fixing the cosmetics that are unlikely to have paid any attention to the mechanical aspects of the car.   Don't spend your money without having someone trustworthy inspect it for you.

TNT

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: TNT on April 08, 2019, 06:26:19 AM
The car your looking at is a grossly overpriced daily driver.  The seats, carpet, dash, instruments,steering wheel should have all been addressed.  Stay away from the car, if they don't spend money fixing the cosmetics that are unlikely to have paid any attention to the mechanical aspects of the car.   Don't spend your money without having someone trustworthy inspect it for you.

TNT

I think the correct term for that car would be polished turd.

Challenger340

Best advice I can offer...
Finding a good one is 90%.... budgets imo, being only 10%.

If you reverse the above according to what's in your price range, I think a guy ends up trying for best "bang for buck" model-wise in a purchase, then subsequently later spending until done to make it right.
If your Budget is $40K.... FORGET an actual R/T.... because anything actually worth owning in the way of an REAL R/T that's a good Car, and can be driven hassle free ain't $40K.  All you are buying is a "lipstick on a Pig" money pit for $40K !

IMO with $40K ?
Look for a really well maintained with documented history 383 or highly optioned 318 example, a solid and well running Car someone hasn't bubba'd for a Sale.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

70 sublime

Something like this might be interesting
You would not have to keep it forever but it would not loose any value either while still keeping an eye out for the dream car

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/88831

Christianlondon

Thanks for the Replies My actual budget for the car purchase is $45000 The shipping is extra.It has to be a 440 and Black.I have been offered a Mint Terquoise one but as nice as it is it isnt Black.I saw a couple on Ebay a few months back that I Missed and they went for around my Budget.I'm not going for the one I originally posted after the comments that have been made  ;)

Christianlondon

Hilarious. .I just thought I would ask on here as maybe somebody knew something about that other car.Thanks anyway

mattretch9888

You not fancy building one? You could get a shabby one and do the work yourself, more satisfying that way maybe

E86/A47

Quote from: Mopar Nut on April 07, 2019, 08:56:56 PM
Here's a real 1969 Charger R/T in town over from me.

Can you post a link to this auction/listing? I'm not in the market but I know someone that might like to look at it. What do you guys think of it from what you can see? I'm just glad my car did not make the delusional sellers thread when it was up for sale a few weeks back, ha!  :icon_smile_big: I'm keeping her!  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

galvarado

No way man. I thought your asking price was reasonable. I've actually won the eBay auction twice on that black 69 at vanguard. Once at $60k and again at $50k. Of course neither amount was enough. They've got it advertised on the vanguard site for $137k.   :ahum:

Mytur Binsdirti

INTMD8

Quote from: galvarado on April 08, 2019, 09:32:20 PM
No way man. I thought your asking price was reasonable. I've actually won the eBay auction twice on that black 69 at vanguard. Once at $60k and again at $50k. Of course neither amount was enough. They've got it advertised on the vanguard site for $137k.   :ahum:

You were the high bidder or you won the auction? (as in they had no reserve)
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

jefferson

As far as what ive seen and know
all the chargers vanguard sell are top notch no doubt
but still doesnt warrant there triple digit price tags
Very very nice chargers indeed, but the prices are ludicrous. Many of them have been up for sale for ages! But they dont seem to be in too much of a hurry to move them as there prices never change
Wonder how they survive if they dont sell but dont lower the prices either?

chargerperson

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 09, 2019, 07:26:41 AM
Quote from: Christianlondon on April 08, 2019, 01:31:35 PM
Hilarious. .I just thought I would ask on here as maybe somebody knew something about that other car.Thanks anyway

You could have had this gem & just paint it black yourself...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Charger-RT-/333137900553?hash=item4d9090f409%3Ag%3AuAoAAOSwHghcoNby&nma=true&si=pYzZoyAzcS6JSfiU2tZYsBzePqI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Bidding went to $25,300 for that car which needs a lot of work.  An RT vin and possibly matching #s motor (why can't the seller figure that out before listing) brings $25k it seems

galvarado

Quote from: INTMD8 on April 09, 2019, 07:34:56 AM
Quote from: galvarado on April 08, 2019, 09:32:20 PM

You were the high bidder or you won the auction? (as in they had no reserve)

I apologize.  I was the high bidder. He's got a reserve on it.

Challenger340

Quote from: jefferson on April 09, 2019, 08:09:00 AM
As far as what ive seen and know
all the chargers vanguard sell are top notch no doubt
but still doesnt warrant there triple digit price tags
Very very nice chargers indeed, but the prices are ludicrous. Many of them have been up for sale for ages! But they dont seem to be in too much of a hurry to move them as there prices never change
Wonder how they survive if they dont sell but dont lower the prices either?

IMO,
The Vanguard Charger's aren't really even "top notch" examples ?
I'm sitting on as nice or nicer example.... and although NOT triple digits, neither Vanguard nor anyone else that has a quality example is going to "start" talking down mid-5 digits just because that's what a potential Buyer "thinks" they should be ?   
just say'in here...
We are all entitled to believe whatever we wish valuation-wise as Owners and wanna-be's ?

Christianlondon

That Gem needs waaay to much work  :rotz:

Mytur Binsdirti

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 09, 2019, 10:40:33 AM

IMO,
The Vanguard Charger's aren't really even "top notch" examples ?
I'm sitting on as nice or nicer example.... and although NOT triple digits, neither Vanguard nor anyone else that has a quality example is going to "start" talking down mid-5 digits just because that's what a potential Buyer "thinks" they should be ?   
just say'in here...
We are all entitled to believe whatever we wish valuation-wise as Owners and wanna-be's ?

Those people are out in the ozone.

Montclaire

I would make an offer on this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Charger-R-T/113708223058?hash=item1a7989ca52:g:YOkAAOSwjXZcpk2J

And for that kind of money I would take a flight over before cash changes hands. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Montclaire on April 09, 2019, 02:12:27 PM
I would make an offer on this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Charger-R-T/113708223058?hash=item1a7989ca52:g:YOkAAOSwjXZcpk2J

And for that kind of money I would take a flight over before cash changes hands. 

At 50 grand, I wouldn't buy that with your money! Take a look at that DNA encrusted interior and the fiberglass covered trunk floor pan. That car is a friggin' mess.

Christianlondon

That looks quite straight but I would have to factor in a Paint Job and whatever else is wrong with it.I think he has had that quite a while the You Tube video was uploaded in December 2018.I wonder what a reasonable offer would be and how much the work would be to get it up to a decent standard

Montclaire

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 09, 2019, 02:26:25 PM

At 50 grand, I wouldn't buy that with your money! Take a look at that DNA encrusted interior and the fiberglass covered trunk floor pan. That car is a friggin' mess.

Where do you see fiberglass?  That's a trunk mat.  Yeah it needs an interior and detailing.  But look at the door sills/jambs.  Look at the engine bay.  That's an honest, dry car. 

MoPaR 312

Just stay patient and keep looking. Maybe it's not as easy over seas but when looking for specific cars I usually try and look every evening online on various sites. Lots of junk and lip stick on pigs these days but once in a while you will find a good deal. No different than looking for a newer used vehicle. If you are in a hurry you usually end up buying junk.

I have bought some nice cars the past few years including projects but I've looked at 1000 for everyone I bought.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Montclaire on April 09, 2019, 02:52:35 PM

Where do you see fiberglass?  That's a trunk mat.  Yeah it needs an interior and detailing.  But look at the door sills/jambs.  Look at the engine bay.  That's an honest, dry car. 

I stand corrected on the floor mat, however, I still stand by my comment that it's a mess. The bottoms of the rear quarters and rear valance are pretty mudded up and seeing the painted over Pentastar and the primer overspray in the door jambs screams of a quickie paint job. And that's just what you can see of the body glancing through pictures, and as we all know, everything looks better in pictures. 50 grand for a car that needs a full restoration is just waaaay too much. It's been for sale for a few weeks and if it was a deal, it would have sold a long time ago. The car does have potential, but his asking price is just too high for something that you'll end up dumping another 50 grand into.

Christianlondon

I e-mailed the Seller on the Yellow one thinking I could get a Bargain.He said the car needs going through as it has been sitting for quite a while and the best he could do was $46000  so that's not going to work.

Challenger340

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 09, 2019, 05:04:55 PM
I e-mailed the Seller on the Yellow one thinking I could get a Bargain.He said the car needs going through as it has been sitting for quite a while and the best he could do was $46000  so that's not going to work.

I guess I'm confused here ?
so I will offer my sincerest apologies beforehand, my intent is NOT to offend, but merely in clarification to the threads title being "Charger Buying Advice" ? and how anyone reading this may assist ?

Yesterday you said  "My actual budget for the car purchase is $45000 The shipping is extra.It has to be a 440 and Black"
and,
then Today...... you are phoning some guy on a YELLOW Bondo-Bucket P.O.S. "garage" find used up Lipstick on a Pig turd ? Trying for a Bargain ?

Just saying here....
are you looking for "advice" on individual/different candidate Cars as you find and present them ?
or,
more general "advice" around market conditions overall ?

If the latter ?
Then it should be fairly clear by now that anything in the way of a Real R/T, a GOOD one that is WORTH OWNING is probably NOT attainable on your $45K Budget.
and if the former....
By now it should also be equally evident that you should be seeking quality 318 or 383 examples up to the $45K Budget ?

E86/A47

That yellow one does look like junk. What really gets me about it is the seller is asking a LOT of money for it but cannot be bothered to take 10 minutes to clean the garbage out of it!

Does anyone have the link to that Black one with the gold stripe on page 1? That one looks pretty sharp from the few pics posted. Any other good 69s out there for 50K or under? Not for me....I have mine.  :icon_smile_big:

VegasCharger

.....At 50 grand, I wouldn't buy that with your money! Take a look at that DNA encrusted interior and the fiberglass covered trunk floor pan. That car is a friggin' mess.

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Asking 50K and they can't clean out the trunk for picture presentation??? LAZY A$$ seller.

Christianlondon

Just to Clarify the reason that I contacted the Seller of the Yellow one was because one of your forum posters said it was a Straight looking car.So after looking at the Bodywork primarily I thought it may be an option to see If I could get it under budget and paint it.I then saw further comments stating that it was a POS.I just want a Black 440 Charger.It doesn't have to be an R/T.I have seen 440's selling for around my Budget before as I have been watching the Net for quite some time so I know they are available in that price range iIm just waiting for one to come up

darbgnik

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 09, 2019, 11:42:42 PM
Just to Clarify the reason that I contacted the Seller of the Yellow one was because one of your forum posters said it was a Straight looking car.So after looking at the Bodywork primarily I thought it may be an option to see If I could get it under budget and paint it.I then saw further comments stating that it was a POS.I just want a Black 440 Charger.It doesn't have to be an R/T.I have seen 440's selling for around my Budget before as I have been watching the Net for quite some time so I know they are available in that price range iIm just waiting for one to come up

I agree you should be able to find a non-R/T someone shoved a 440 into for around your budget, just might take a while longer waiting for one that's been painted black already. But honestly, the chase is half the fun. How much does a paint job cost in your area of the world?

One thing to keep in mind though, is if you don't like the idea of doing a lot, or any of the work yourself, an extra 5 grand up front can some times net you an extra 15 grand worth of car. Just something to consider.
Brad

Christianlondon

A good quality paint job in the U.K would come in around $12000 I have had several 78/79 Trans Am's over the years a couple of these I imported from the state's.I will see how the charger Search pans out but That would be an option B further down the line.I don't really have the facilities to do the work myself in the garages that I have in London so I would send it to a company I know of who restore American cars to do any work.

jefferson

Honestly mate
i bought my first charger in to AUS last year, i got it for a very good price for an RT 440, super clean, , done a bit of work to it the last year or so fixing minor things but was still great value for money, let me tell you something, when i was in your position i too just wanted something that looked good for the right price, now, everyone here is right, youl eventually get something you think is good for the right price but underneath willl be so many issues that will eventually eat away at you, and youl end up spending way over your budget, not worth it IMO.
That yellow one, ill tell you right now, not worth 50k, its crusty, i wouldnt even sit in it. Looks filthy, will need a lot dumped into it to get it looking nice and spick again, even small things like the chrome being faded will get to you after a while.

Challenger340

This one may be worth a 'Boo, investigate for more detailed Pics and history and report back.  
It's in the Ballpark price-wise at $48,900 OBO, just don't go saying "I got $45K" right out of the gate, investigate FIRST !    
The "2 owner history/rust free" claim could potentially yield some good continuity with overall condition and work performed to verify what you are getting.

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/94487

Christianlondon

That looks nice I will contact him...Thanks

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 10, 2019, 11:41:35 AM

The color is wrong, but if you look at it with sunglasses that have dark gray lenses, it will appear to be black.   :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: E86/A47 on April 09, 2019, 09:08:27 PM
Does anyone have the link to that Black one with the gold stripe on page 1? That one looks pretty sharp from the few pics posted.

That one was a screenshot taken on my phone, there is a number you can call the seller Sean.

E86/A47

Thanks! I am not looking but another member is and said he is going to call. I was just interested in seeing more info.

Challenger340

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 10, 2019, 12:18:27 PM
Quote from: Christianlondon on April 10, 2019, 11:41:35 AM

The color is wrong, but if you look at it with sunglasses that have dark gray lenses, it will appear to be black.   :2thumbs:

You gotta stop that !
I'm old......  and I damn near pissed my depends laughing when I read that :rofl:

galvarado

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger/323774579894?hash=item4b627804b6:g:gTQAAOSwwRBcr4l5

Here's another black one.  I believe that seller has put this car up on ebay previously though. 

Mytur Binsdirti

That's the same car that the OP put up when he started this thread.

galvarado

https://www.route65salesandclassics.com/details/used-1969-dodge-charger/45327305

This is actually what the OP put up when he started this thread.  They look similar, but not the same car. 

Mytur Binsdirti

In that case, I take back my eye poke.

Challenger340

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 13, 2019, 03:35:10 AM
I'm currently watching this one on Ebay.I'm sure it's been on a few times before
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger-RT/192885558005?hash=item2ce8e00af5:g:G9kAAOSwjfBcWi-x&redirect=mobile

Very low compression "motorhome" 440 engine, 230 hp, DO NOT attempt to beat a Toyota across a stoplight.

chargervert

I guess that they don't need heat out there in California! That leaking ribbed for her pleasure radiator hose needs to go too!

galvarado

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/51563982

This one appears to be that same car up on ebay.  It's been up for a while and re-listed several times. 

E86/A47

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 13, 2019, 09:29:16 AM
I'm currently watching this one on Ebay.I'm sure it's been on a few times before
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger-RT/192885558005?hash=item2ce8e00af5:g:G9kAAOSwjfBcWi-x&redirect=mobile

Very low compression "motorhome" 440 engine, 230 hp, DO NOT attempt to beat a Toyota across a stoplight.

Hey 340. I'm curious how you know that? Can you tell by looking at it and if so what are the things to look for? Thanks!

Christianlondon

It looks ok but I guess that because it's been realisted so much there must be issues...What was that about the 440 Engine and just  220hp?

Christianlondon

The Auction ended on that one at $40000 reserve not met.I was thinking of making an offer.What would be a reasonable offer to make? He says the paint is driver quality 8 out of 10.

galvarado

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Charger/254206027021?hash=item3b2fdc250d:g:bIEAAOSw1UdcoMiD

This one just got re-listed.  The previous auction ended at $37000 and the reserve was met.  So I figured it had sold.  I've got no idea why it's been re-listed though. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: galvarado on April 20, 2019, 11:15:35 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Charger/254206027021?hash=item3b2fdc250d:g:bIEAAOSw1UdcoMiD

This one just got re-listed.  The previous auction ended at $37000 and the reserve was met.  So I figured it had sold.  I've got no idea why it's been re-listed though. 

Man, that's a putrid color combination!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: E86/A47 on April 14, 2019, 08:12:00 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on April 13, 2019, 09:29:16 AM

Hey 340. I'm curious how you know that? Can you tell by looking at it and if so what are the things to look for? Thanks!

When you see feet hanging down from under the car, you know that he's going to be "Flintstoning" it when the light turns green.

galvarado

I think so too.   :lol:
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 20, 2019, 12:07:20 PM
Quote from: galvarado on April 20, 2019, 11:15:35 AM

Man, that's a putrid color combination!