News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Superbird Six Barrel Air Cleaner Instruction Decal Question?

Started by Mopar John, April 08, 2019, 03:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

I have a question for the guys that still have an original air cleaner lid on their six barrel Superbirds.
I have found 2 different air filter instruction decals both for the 2946186 filter!
One decal has only the word "conditions" on the bottom line of print.
The other has "severe conditions" on the bottom line of print.
I am trying to confirm which one is the original?
Please respond with a picture of your instruction decal.
Thanks! MJ

graybo

MJ,  I just sent you an e'mail and a pic.  Good luck.  Graybo :2thumbs:

Mopar John

Thanks Graybo!
Here is the picture of John's original Superbird Six Barrel air cleaner lid.
You can see that the bottom row of print only has "conditions".
Also of note is that both of the decals are between the wing nuts.
Any other original examples?
MJ

taxspeaker

Great info here, thanks, especially with tape measure!
Does anyone have equivalent picture or info for Hemi air cleaner decal placement?

6bblgt

I have a NOS HEMI lid (label has 1979 date on it) with the same filter instruction decal as graybo's SIX BARREL lid

& a NOS "440 SIX BARREL" decal, notice the checkerboard pattern (white square upper left), some of the reproductions are opposite

rainbow4jd

Just an FYI - don't presume the severe conditions is a repop.   

I work for an OEM manufacturer and vendors change all the time.   Even the same vendor can make running changes without notice to the manufacturer as long as they meet the basic specs.   i.e. decal this size, these colors, font height of xx, these exact words, material thickness, adhesion test, etc. etc. .  You can see the difference is in font spacing that caused the word wrap.   The change could have been as simple as

"you know if we add a space on line xx, you can get word wrap where "severe" and "condition" are on the same line."   

"OK, I'll do that on the next 500 we print."

OR, it's a repop. 

6bblgt

while I don't doubt the possibility of a second version of the decal being used during the 1969-1971 use of the 2946186 oval air filter element
.......... reproduction companies also slightly alter parts to avoid licensing/permission/royalties/etc. of copyrighted property

does anyone have an original "SEVERE CONDITIONS." last line version?  here's a '69 Road Runner Air Grabber lid, last line: "CONDITIONS."

Mopar John

Thanks for the replies and pictures of the original decals!
I think we can agree that the "severe conditions" decal is a superceded part at best.
This would not be the decal that our six barrel Superbirds had installed on the assembly line.
The sad part is that a quick check on EBAY shows both versions still being sold.
MJ

Mopar John

I sent a pm to Jim Maxwellwedge who also helps with details from his original Superbird.
But his mail box is full!
Is there any one who can contact him for me to reply to this post if his Superbird has
an original air cleaner instruction decal?
Thanks! MJ

62 Max

Here are two decals from a long time closed dealership that I've had for 35 yrs.Top and bottom row are not consistent on either one.

Mopar John

62 Max,
Thanks for the reply!
Your NOS Six Barrel decals back up what 6bblgt states that the top row
starts out with a white square on the upper left corner!
Do you have any NOS air cleaner instruction decals for part number 2946186?
Thanks! MJ

62 Max

John,
I may,bought a lot back then,still have these.  :image_294343:

Mopar John

Severe Conditions decal version more information!
Just a few replies ago I stated that the "severe conditions" decal was a superceded part at best.
I now have to retract that statement!
I have been investigating these decals wherever I can find information.
I am focused here because I want the correct one on our Superbird!
So yesterday a friend of mine sent me a picture.
It is my attachment labeled original 340 decal.
It is a picture of an original 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 SIX PACK air cleaner lid.
You will see that it has an original "SEVERE CONDITIONS" decal on it!!
So now one has to wonder if this is a 340, Dodge or secondary supplier decal.
We now have proof that there were 2 different original versions of the decal out there.
It also has the correct 2946186 part number on it!
So now we need more original Superbird six barrel air cleaner lid pictures to see if both were used on Superbirds?
I know that Bob Malcoms collection in Ohio had at least one survivor Superbird with a six barrel.
If any one has an air cleaner shot of those Superbirds it would be great!
Thanks! MJ

62 Max

John,more to the can of worms.The first production AAR was 3/10/70,the first T/A 2/12/70.Birds were built 11/69,the A12 cars started 3/69,would be interesting to see what tag on those cars were.

Bill

Mopar John

MORE CONFUSION!
I started searching the web for information, pictures and anything else I could find.
I got on the Performance Car Graphix web site.
I looked up part number 2946186.
In the description Dave acknowledges 2 different decals for this part number.
He states that the one with the part number on the lower left is the OEM as new decal.
He also states that the one with the part number on the right is the dealer replacement decal.
The he states that his reproduction is the OEM as new decal.
But the decal in the picture has the part number on the right?
I have reached out to Dave to find out if the wrong decal is in the picture
or if the description of the 2 types is wrong?
Stay tuned! MJ

taxspeaker

My wife tells me my life is very boring because I find this discussion strangely interesting. ;) ;)

Keep it coming and thanks
Bob

62 Max

Quote from: Mopar John on April 12, 2019, 12:01:23 PM
                                                    MORE CONFUSION!
I started searching the web for information, pictures and anything else I could find.
I got on the Performance Car Graphix web site.
I looked up part number 2946186.
In the description Dave acknowledges 2 different decals for this part number.
He states that the one with the part number on the lower left is the OEM as new decal.
He also states that the one with the part number on the right is the dealer replacement decal.
The he states that his reproduction is the OEM as new decal.
But the decal in the picture has the part number on the right?
I have reached out to Dave to find out if the wrong decal is in the picture
or if the description of the 2 types is wrong?
Stay tuned! MJ

John,just checked decal on my bird,does not say severe,I installed it in 1982,don't remember where it came from.
Bill

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: 62 Max on April 12, 2019, 11:27:50 AM
John,more to the can of worms.The first production AAR was 3/10/70,the first T/A 2/12/70.Birds were built 11/69,the A12 cars started 3/69,would be interesting to see what tag on those cars were.

Bill

Well.......

The two known T/A pilot cars have SPDs of earlier than that - but they started down the line as 340-4-barrel cars. The earliest T/A on the line I am aware of (so far) has a SPD of 205.

The earliest AAR known to me (so far) has a 204 SPD.

Here is the decal from an original paint T/A lid I have here for reference;

Mopar John

Barry,
Thanks for the reply with a nice picture!
Yet another example of an original "severe conditions" decal.
Both of the original "severe conditions" decals are from 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A's.
So it becomes a question of different assembly plants or secondary suppliers?
We still need more pictures of Superbird 440 six barrel lids with original decals.
Thanks! MJ

Alaskan_TA

It may be possible that the 'severe condition' labels are for the fresh air hood cars only?  :scratchchin:

Mopar John

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on April 15, 2019, 03:05:21 PM
It may be possible that the 'severe condition' labels are for the fresh air hood cars only?  :scratchchin:

That is the best theory that I've heard on this so far!
MJ

Mopar John

The yellow six barrel Superbird in the May Mecum auction lot #R578 looks to have an original air cleaner lid!
It has a six barrel decal that backs up what 6bblgt has said that the originals start off with a white square on the upper left.
It's too bad that the small air cleaner decal has melted away!
But at least you can see where the proper placement of it was.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: Mopar John on April 11, 2019, 02:57:50 PM
I sent a pm to Jim Maxwellwedge who also helps with details from his original Superbird.
But his mail box is full!
Is there any one who can contact him for me to reply to this post if his Superbird has
an original air cleaner instruction decal?
Thanks! MJ
Jim replied with a picture of his original Six Barrel lid.
His air cleaner instruction decal only has "conditions" on the last line of print.
Notice the positioning of that original decal.
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on April 17, 2019, 09:45:39 AM
The yellow six barrel Superbird in the May Mecum auction lot #R578 looks to have an original air cleaner lid!
It has a six barrel decal that backs up what 6bblgt has said that the originals start off with a white square on the upper left.
It's too bad that the small air cleaner decal has melted away!
But at least you can see where the proper placement of it was.
MJ

Tape on the scoops!!  Day 2 mod?? 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

426HemiChick

Hi Mopar John,                        18 June 2019

We don't know if this will help; attached is a photo of the top for the air-cleaner of our early 69 Super Bee 440 Six-Pack. It is the original and has 2681 miles on it.

The verbiage on the bottom line of the top decal above the Chrysler Corporation Parts Division says:

EVERY YEAR. SERVICE MORE FREQUENTLY UNDER SEVERE
                           CONDITIONS.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Mopar John

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 18, 2019, 05:23:27 PM
Hi Mopar John,                        18 June 2019

We don't know if this will help; attached is a photo of the top for the air-cleaner of our early 69 Super Bee 440 Six-Pack. It is the original and has 2681 miles on it.

The verbiage on the bottom line of the top decal above the Chrysler Corporation Parts Division says:

EVERY YEAR. SERVICE MORE FREQUENTLY UNDER SEVERE
                           CONDITIONS.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
426 Hemi Chicks,
Thanks for the reply with the picture!
Yes! It always helps with documentation of original parts and cars.
I think we have started to formulate what decal was original on the six barrel Superbirds.
But that second version with the same part number has caused confusion.
Welcome to the site!
MJ

maxwellwedge

Here is the lid off one of my 69-1/2's....now that we are showing A12's  ;)

6bblgt

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 19, 2019, 01:10:47 PM

so, is the last line "SEVERE CONDITIONS" or "CONDITIONS" ?  :shruggy:

Mopar John

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 19, 2019, 03:17:29 PM

so, is the last line "SEVERE CONDITIONS" or "CONDITIONS" ?  :shruggy:
6bblgt,
On the 3 original six barrel Superbird air cleaner instruction decals they all have "CONDITIONS" only on the last line of print!
MJ

426HemiChick

Hi Maxwellwedge,                        27 June 2019

Looking at the photo of your Six-Pack makes us want to put our SP Bee back together. Unfortunately, there's not enough room in the garage for that project. Want to get the CD cleaned up, serviced and most of the things that are incorrect, corrected.

Your Six-Pack sure looks great and brings back memories from long ago. Thanks for showing it.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

maxwellwedge

Ok - Here are a couple more pics......maybe that will help change your mind. A12's are cool!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

maxwellwedge

Sure - Funny I don't hear from you when the lawn needs cutting or the snow needs plowing  :lol:

Here - you can drive the F6 one.....but not on this driveway....

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 05, 2019, 11:01:32 AM
Sure - Funny I don't hear from you when the lawn needs cutting or the snow needs plowing  :lol:

Here - you can drive the F6 one.....but not on this driveway....
I like F-6 better anyways    :2thumbs:   Thanks Dad 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE