News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque Box Question

Started by charger500440, April 08, 2019, 06:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger500440

For 1969, would only Hemi and 440/4-speed Chargers have the added torque boxes installed from the factory? I was under the impression all 440 cars had them but I now believe I was mistaken.

Thanks in advance...
Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Mike DC

The torque boxing was inconsistent.  

It wasn't an option they were advertising and charging money for.  It was a butt-covering step the factory was taking on their own (along with the decision to use Dana 60 rearends).  They didn't want to pay out warranty claims for flexed unibodies when people drag raced the car with slicks all weekend, and then brought it back to the dealership on Monday morning with the stock tires on it.    

The 4spd was a big factor.  The factory did put torque boxes on many 440/4spds and didn't always even put them on Hemi/autos.    

Horspower alone cannot tweak unibodies.  It takes horsepower + curb weight + tire traction + sudden shock loads.

440/auto with torque boxes?  My '69 440/auto didn't get them.  But I wouldn't argue with somebody who claims his '69 440/auto did.  There were exceptions to everything back then.  Especially things the factory elected to do for their own reasons like this.    

charger500440

Thanks Mike. For some reason I was under the impression all 440 and Hemi cars had them in '69, appreciate your clarification. My 500 does not have them, which is why I asked (it is a 440 auto).

Thanks again,
Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Mike DC

sccachallenger

A friend had a V code auto. '70 bird, I don't think his had them.
I think I've seen cars that only had them on the rear.
Never understood the inconsistancy of their usage.

As a more current example, some LX / LC cars have AC filters, some don't.
Even SRT8s may not have them, no idea why.