News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP WHICH IS THE CORRECT WAY TO DO THIS

Started by kevs1969daytona, April 09, 2019, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

Ok I should have taken pics I did not I changed out my Signal switch and roved the steering wheel cover both.  Now I cant figure out which was the bearing goes in.  It looks like the number 1 picture but theres no room to push it down and put the clip back in.  Is it number 2 ???

BLK 68 R/T

Looks like you are missing the rubber insulator that goes around the outer race. Memory says #1 is correct  ;)

kevs1969daytona

BLK 68 R/T

Try pulling up on the steering shaft while seating the bearing back onto the shaft.

kevs1969daytona

I did and this happened  :brickwall:  It that normal ?  Seems super dangerous to me.

https://youtu.be/mFxjQ5YIhi0

70 sublime

The steering shaft is build so it will collapse in an accident
So there is a section that has a couple plastic pins that will chop off to allow it to get shorter
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

So it looks like the plastic pins are busted ?

70 sublime

A manual steering column and a power steering column are a different length
Might be why yours is loose
A person can slide it to the right length to make it fit the situation needed if it is not the proper one

Not sure how bad it is if it is not pined together
Might just be a rattle ? 

green69rt

There is a cir-clip that goes behind the bearing IIRC.  There is another that goes in front of the bearing in a groove to lock the bearing in place.  The bearing is seated in a rubber socket and then in the collar.  I couldn't tell from your picture but you should be able to see the land that one clip seats against and the groove that the front clip fit into.  Here's a couple of pics.

kevs1969daytona

Ya I have the 2 clips for the bearing, more worried about the shaft coming out though

kevs1969daytona

Does the "plastic clips go here"

kevs1969daytona

Figured it out WTF !!!!!!

BLK 68 R/T

Missing the roll pin that keeps it connected to the steering box. There is a master spline on the coupler so it will only go on one way. Roll pin goes in the hole in the coupler and locks it onto the steering box via the u shaped groove on the spline.

kevs1969daytona

Cheers lots of problems after the restoration.  Need to go through the car with a fine tooth comb  :2thumbs:

70 sublime

Yep that could have been real bad
Glad you found that out sitting still  :2thumbs: