News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Filler tube seal

Started by gvermillion, April 10, 2019, 01:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvermillion

Is there a trick to installing a new filler tube seal on the gas tank? Installed new seal and fill tube won't go in, but seal fits over tube nicely when it's not installed on tank?

green69rt

Quote from: gvermillion on April 10, 2019, 01:29:41 PM
Is there a trick to installing a new filler tube seal on the gas tank? Installed new seal and fill tube won't go in, but seal fits over tube nicely when it's not installed on tank?

It can be a struggle, just don't give up.  Some things that might help.

1. Lube the inside of the seal with WD40. 
2. check the end of the filler tube that goes into the seal.  Mine had sharp edges that would dig into the seal and not let it slide in.  I took a file to the end to knock the sharp edges off. (see picture)

Even doing these things it still took some real muscle to get the thing in.  Twist, push, rock back and forth.  It will go in eventually.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: green69rt on April 10, 2019, 02:38:50 PM

1. Lube the inside of the seal with WD40. 

And if none is available, get some KY lube from the wife.  :2thumbs:

kent

Try a hairdryer on the seal. Should make the seal more pliable.
Kent

gvermillion

Thanks for the insight, it doesn't require removement of gas tank to install does it? Just removed it to change sending unit. Really don't think I can install tank with fill tube installed anyways.

dual fours

Quote from: gvermillion on April 10, 2019, 06:26:11 PM
Thanks for the insight, it doesn't require removement of gas tank to install does it? Just removed it to change sending unit. Really don't think I can install tank with fill tube installed anyways.
No need to remove the gas tank. Just lube your tube and inside of rubber gasket. Yep, push, turn and wiggle as mentioned above. I used a thin film of grease. I'm not sure, but I may have slightly beveled with a sharp knife, the inside edge of the gasket where the tube starts to go in.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

70 sublime

I think the seal that goes into the gas tank has two sides
If you look at the center hole , one side has a small bevel to it to help get the filler neck in and the inside the tank side is more square
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

gvermillion

Ok thanks, I'll look at that.

will

I used a very small amount of dawn soap to put the tube in. It wasn't too bad to install and no leaks.

gtx6970

Put some lube ( white grease, Vaseline etc etc ) on both inside and outside of the seal before installed  in the tank.
DO NOT take a file to to the filler tube

On a charger the tube must be in the body before the tank goes in. Once the tube is secured to the bottom on the drivers side quarter panel . ( make sure the floor seal is slid on before the tube is in the body btw )

Then slide the tank up on the tube section protruding down thru the trunk floor

having a second set of hands for this helps tremendously

70gtx440dana

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 10, 2019, 07:56:01 PM
I think the seal that goes into the gas tank has two sides
If you look at the center hole , one side has a small bevel to it to help get the filler neck in and the inside the tank side is more square

Yes.....this is true. I had mine reversed when trying to install. It would not go. I rotated 180* and it was much easier.  Good luck!
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

gvermillion

Thank you all, for your inputs. Finally got the darn filler tube installed.
Lots of lube and sweat, moaning and groaning, pushing and twisting.
Filled tank to full and no leak!!!! :cheers