News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for electric trailer brake experts

Started by stripedelete, April 12, 2019, 07:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripedelete

Will electric trailer brakes work if mounted upside down?  In other words, will they function as they should with the backing plate turned 180 degrees?

Why?  Sorry, the explanation will make my fingers cramp.

sccachallenger

I bought a trailer with the axle installed backwards.
The PO never hooked up the wires, Dexter advised me to swap them or turn the axle around.
I believe they would have worked, but didn't try.
I guess I didn't answer your question did I ;D

stripedelete

Quote from: sccachallenger on April 12, 2019, 09:11:21 PM
I bought a trailer with the axle installed backwards.
The PO never hooked up the wires, Dexter advised me to swap them or turn the axle around.
I believe they would have worked, but didn't try.
I guess I didn't answer your question did I ;D
That's a left/right issue.  But,,,, does upside down introduce a left/right issue? Do they need to switch sides when they're  upside down?  

stripedelete

Answer is : yes, but not as effective.

Not sure where it was on my prior Google searches.  :brickwall:

John_Kunkel

To my thinking it doesn't matter, as long as the backing plate remains on its original side the rotation will be the same.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

stripedelete

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 13, 2019, 11:35:32 AM
To my thinking it doesn't matter, as long as the backing plate remains on its original side the rotation will be the same.  :shruggy:

That's exactly it.   Braking power will also be deminished.  Because of the wrong leading shoe?

BSB67

Quote from: stripedelete on April 13, 2019, 08:19:48 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 13, 2019, 11:35:32 AM
To my thinking it doesn't matter, as long as the backing plate remains on its original side the rotation will be the same.  :shruggy:

That's exactly it.   Braking power will also be deminished.  Because of the wrong leading shoe?

I think the leading shoe, from a functional stand point, actually stays the same if the entire unit is upside down, despite it being in the rear.  This would not be the case on a side to side switch, I think.  :shruggy:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

Yes, the leading/trailing shoe is dependent on rotation, not front/back location.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

stripedelete

Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone explain why the braking power is dimension with a 180 rotation.

Just curious.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: stripedelete on April 15, 2019, 11:37:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone explain why the braking power is dimension with a 180 rotation.

Just curious.

If I understand the mechanics correctly, the magnet, when in the proper orientation (hanging down), aids in re-centering the pads after applying the brakes.  Thus in the inverted situation the pads may not relax to center and uneven wear of one pad may occur causing the contact patch of the combined pads to become "out of round" so to speak. Thus the overall contact of the pads with the drum is reduced and you have less braking power.

That's my :Twocents: anyway.

Hope all is well with you stripedelete and that you are enjoying that beautiful Charger!  :2thumbs:
Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.