News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green Hemi C500 at B-J Palm Beach

Started by Kowal, April 13, 2019, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowal

Just went for $77K before fees.  We talked about this car before, as it was on e-bay recently.   Tough price for anyone but the buyer!   A red '68 Hemi Charger went for $120K prior to fees, right before it.   The '68 wasn't a numbers car, the C500 came with the original hemi block in a box.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-DODGE-CHARGER-500-229907
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

held1823

XX29J9B133977
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Dragon Slayer

So is that reflective of color and transmission?  Options?  How accurate is the restoration? 

ACUDANUT

When you think about it, People are trying to get 35K just for a 426 Engine.  That's half the cars value right there.  That triple Green color killed it imo.

Q5XX29

Wow. More and more lately, I see these low prices and think "too bad- if I had only known, I would have paid more than that!". I love green Mopars, personally.
dakota_gt on Instagram

Birdflu

Though I don't feel this way, I'm wondering if the 500 front end, even though it's a 2nd generation Charger, doesn't appeal to the crowd driving the Charger demand. Let's face it, out of all the 'classic' Mopars, it appears only the 2nd gen Charger has the attention of 18-30 year old enthusiasts. Don't believe me? Hang around on some other 'model specific' forum boards and you'll see the lack of younger generations interest first hand. How many of them would categorize the 500 as a 2nd gen Charger? Do they even know what it is besides a 'funny looking' Charger? Remember, they grew up watching the Jessica Simpson version of the Dukes of Hazzard and the entourage of Fast & Furious movies. Also, if you look at the cars that were most affected by the demand, it was the middle priced 383-440 cars that went berserk, not the ultra collectible Aero, wing and Hemi cars. The generation controlling the market doesn't have that kind of disposable income...yet. Look at how many of them are joining this board and dragging dilapidated cars home to restore...cars that you and I wouldn't even have thought about restoring 20-30 years ago! Don't take me the wrong way, I love these cars and welcome the younger enthusiasts full heartily into the hobby for whatever reason and hope they alone can carry on the tradition of loving and caring for these cars!  

cdr

Quote from: Birdflu on April 14, 2019, 12:20:19 PM
Though I don't feel this way, I'm wondering if the 500 front end, even though it's a 2nd generation Charger, doesn't appeal to the crowd driving the Charger demand. Let's face it, out of all the 'classic' Mopars, it appears only the 2nd gen Charger has the attention of 18-30 year old enthusiasts. Don't believe me? Hang around on some other 'model specific' forum boards and you'll see the lack of younger generations interest first hand. How many of them would categorize the 500 as a 2nd gen Charger? Do they even know what it is besides a 'funny' looking Charger? Remember, they grew up watching the Jessica Simpson version of the Dukes of Hazzard and the entourage of Fast & Furious movies. Also, if you look at the cars that were most affected by the demand, it was the middle priced 383-440 cars that went berserk, not the ultra collectible Aero, wing and Hemi cars. The generation controlling the market doesn't have that kind of disposable income...yet. Look at how many of them are joining this board and dragging dilapidated cars home to restore...cars that you and I wouldn't even have thought about restoring 20-30 years ago! Don't take me the wrong way, I love these cars and welcome the younger enthusiasts full heartily into the hobby for whatever reason and hope they alone can carry on the tradition of loving and caring for these cars!  

THIS ^^^^^^ :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

superbirdtom

thats what a white hemi 500 that Julius restored 10+ years ago went for. Then resold for way more then resold for less.  the restoration probably was 50k or more on the green one so u almost get the car for free.  good deals are out there still.  i was looking at 68 through 70 chargers on 3 different sites and theyre asking  45 to 85 range for 440 cars.  I think the market has topped out but we will see in a couple years.

Kowal

There are a couple of details wrong on the Charger, but from the e-bay ad that it was in, plus related YouTube videos, the underneath was all done up correctly, the car seemed very nice.    On e-bay this past January, the bidding had gotten somewhere like 110 or 120K.   

Not sure if the seller at B-J was the owner selling it on e-bay.    It could have been an unsuccessful flip.

At that price, a great deal regardless...unless it was a dealer buying it after tossing in a low bid and being surprised to get it.   If so, we will see it soon I am sure.

I thought it was a pretty car, toss some Magnums on it to brighten it up and it would be really great!!
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

WINGMAN

The body shop bill was 75K alone.  (Wingman)
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

hemi68charger

Quote from: Birdflu on April 14, 2019, 12:20:19 PM
Though I don't feel this way, I'm wondering if the 500 front end, even though it's a 2nd generation Charger, doesn't appeal to the crowd driving the Charger demand. ... 

I am currently on my 4th 69 C500.... That IS the case. The history is known, but the big turn-off is the grille and then people don't want to dig deeper into its pedigree...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

not many options on the car, if any at all except the Hemi.....and I just noticed no power steering either

Bryan

DAY CLONA

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 14, 2019, 09:51:06 AMThat triple Green color killed it imo.

I have to agree with you on that, the over abundance of F8 didn't find that one buyer that absolutely had to have it at any price, any other color it would have saw 6 fiqures, nice car though excluding the color

Mike

Y1CHARGER

Day and Time have a lot to do with some sales, not to mention how much booze has been served   :cheers:

held1823

the owner could have gotten more for that car on this very website, and saved a crap ton of auction fees to boot

that an R/T will bring more money than a 500 shows how little people understand what the cars are, especially those with deep pockets who are in it solely as an investment. Those owners/buyers aren't turned off by the grille or rear window; they do not see the letters R/T on it, and likely have no clue of its muscle car pedigree.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 14, 2019, 09:51:06 AM
  That triple Green color killed it imo.

Nah, it had to be the NAPA battery.

wyliemn71

That definitely would have come home with me for that price, wish I would have been at the auction.

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 15, 2019, 09:57:59 AM

Or the electronic ignition, or the ballast resistor, or the wrong windshield wiper reservoir...

These are special cars. What separates the men from the boys is the quality of the restoration using correct parts.
If you scrimp now, expect a lot less later.    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: A383Wing on April 14, 2019, 04:19:30 PM
not many options on the car, if any at all except the Hemi.....and I just noticed no power steering either

Bryan

Not many options except 2 real important ones.  426 Hemi and W12 recall wheels.   I flew out to S. Carolina a couple weeks ago to check out the car and possibly negotiate a deal.  The guy seemed like a nice person, but the auction pictures make this car look  a lot better than it really was.   Replaced quarters and trunk pan with aging paint.  .A real nice driver though.  He would have taken $100k but I was thinking more like $90k.  I'm sure he is thinking $90 was a great offer now.  Me too.
On another note, I bought the Julius c500 white/ red gut about 10 years ago for $64.  Sold it a couple years later for double the price, plus.  Times have changed.  Still in shock this car only brought $77k.
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

RSI700VIPER

The recall wheels obviously are long gone but the window sticker clearly shows them as being ordered with the car.  With a SPD of 1rst week of September,  it was probably delivered with the wheels.
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: odcics2 on April 15, 2019, 02:33:04 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 15, 2019, 09:57:59 AM

Or the electronic ignition, or the ballast resistor, or the wrong windshield wiper reservoir...

These are special cars. What separates the men from the boys is the quality of the restoration using correct parts.
If you scrimp now, expect a lot less later.    :Twocents:

Can't forget about the master cylinder, negative battery cable & plug wire brackets. Just all these listed parts accounts for at least 25 grand off the value.  :yesnod:

6bblgt

where is the picture of the window sticker?

recall wheels would've been W23 & would NOT have been installed on a  907 "SCHEDULED" 500

HEMI, 3.55s, console, AM radio would've been extra cost OPTIONS per the fender tag & wood grain steering wheel per the pics

correction: cast center road wheels = W23 (15x6.0")

6bblgt

did it actually sell, or did the owner "buy it back"?

odcics2

Thought the cast road wheels were W23 ??  :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?