News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green Hemi C500 at B-J Palm Beach

Started by Kowal, April 13, 2019, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 16, 2019, 02:48:35 PM
where is the picture of the window sticker?

recall wheels would've been W21 & would NOT have been installed on a  907 "SCHEDULED" 500

HEMI, 3.55s, console, AM radio would've been extra cost OPTIONS per the fender tag & wood grain steering wheel per the pics

Window sticker picture is in the other thread about this car....I just can't find it right now on my phone

Bryan

held1823

Quote from: A383Wing on April 16, 2019, 04:37:09 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on April 16, 2019, 02:48:35 PM
where is the picture of the window sticker?

recall wheels would've been W21 & would NOT have been installed on a  907 "SCHEDULED" 500

HEMI, 3.55s, console, AM radio would've been extra cost OPTIONS per the fender tag & wood grain steering wheel per the pics

Window sticker picture is in the other thread about this car....I just can't find it right now on my phone

Bryan

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,132536.0.html
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

RSI700VIPER

Yes.  My mistake.  W23. The owner had the original window sticker which I saw in person,  and I think it was also in the Ebay listing. 
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

hemi-hampton

Quote from: WINGMAN on April 14, 2019, 03:59:25 PM
  The body shop bill was 75K alone.  (Wingman)

That's what I said in the other post on it, That it probably cost more to restore it then what it sold for.

white

Was this car owned by a member here?

303 Mopar

Quote from: cdr on April 14, 2019, 12:49:05 PM
Quote from: Birdflu on April 14, 2019, 12:20:19 PM
Though I don't feel this way, I'm wondering if the 500 front end, even though it's a 2nd generation Charger, doesn't appeal to the crowd driving the Charger demand. Let's face it, out of all the 'classic' Mopars, it appears only the 2nd gen Charger has the attention of 18-30 year old enthusiasts. Don't believe me? Hang around on some other 'model specific' forum boards and you'll see the lack of younger generations interest first hand. How many of them would categorize the 500 as a 2nd gen Charger? Do they even know what it is besides a 'funny' looking Charger? Remember, they grew up watching the Jessica Simpson version of the Dukes of Hazzard and the entourage of Fast & Furious movies. Also, if you look at the cars that were most affected by the demand, it was the middle priced 383-440 cars that went berserk, not the ultra collectible Aero, wing and Hemi cars. The generation controlling the market doesn't have that kind of disposable income...yet. Look at how many of them are joining this board and dragging dilapidated cars home to restore...cars that you and I wouldn't even have thought about restoring 20-30 years ago! Don't take me the wrong way, I love these cars and welcome the younger enthusiasts full heartily into the hobby for whatever reason and hope they alone can carry on the tradition of loving and caring for these cars!  

THIS ^^^^^^ :2thumbs:

I agree with the above, and BJ has proven over the past year or two to favor the Cheby crowed. Mopars in Scottsdale and now PB have had a hard time driving any fair value price, meanwhile people are paying stupid money for Camaros, Blazers and Chevelle's. If I had to pick an auction, I would take my Mopars to Mecum Indy which has had many high value Mopars sell for good money.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

RallyeMike

I saw that one go and wondered why it was only 77k..... thanks for all the comments that helped answer my questions.
Even with the auction fee added on it still seem like a better buy than any one of the numerous modified Camaros  :shruggy:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kowal

When I saw it listed for the Palm Beach show, I thought this won't be good.    That is normally not much of a muscle car crowd there...resto mods maybe but more BMW's, Porsches, maybe modern muscle.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

chargerman69

I was at the auction on Friday for the day, The green turns me away i do have a couple pictures of it

ACUDANUT

The Green turns 90 percent of us away.  imo GREEN belongs on Jeeps, Tanks and the A-10.

5hunert

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 17, 2019, 08:32:27 PM
The Green turns 90 percent of us away.  imo GREEN belongs on Jeeps, Tanks and the A-10.

So, big question.  If one owned an otherwise broadcast sheet correct, numbers matching, F8 green 69 C500, would there be a cost penalty for doing an R4 red color change?  Even though the color was wrong, would it bring more desire (price) because it looked faster?

aerolith

Wow, F8 getting dissed once again!

That car is better optioned than my F8 C500 and I will be putting a date coded hemi in there too, but I will be seriously outta pocket judging by this sale?

Lucky I won't be selling it then lol... :slap:

I told a Mopar-guy here in the UK last week that R/T's were getting better prices than C500's and he said ''the world has gone MAD!''

Rarity doesn't always mean High Dollars... :shruggy:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Kowal

I thought the price was shockingly low, but I rationalized it this way...

As per the other poster that went and saw the car recently, it wasn't quite as nice as the pics.   It did have a lot of things under the hood to correct.   It was very much the wrong venue...Mecum Florida or Indy would have been better, maybe Scottsdale B-J.    I like the green, but admittedly the red Charger R/T that went before it was a heck of a lot sharper looking...I really like the C500 in B5 as I have.

I love, and always wanted, my C500.   Of course I lived in Detroit and now Charlotte, where the history of the car is really well understood.   Galen G once made a joke to me, while chatting at B-J, that he liked the C500 he used to have very much, but that he was amazed how little they were understood outside of the Mopar obsessive world.

To me..key takeaway, we should enjoy our cars!   

Bug shield C500

Quote from: Kowal on April 13, 2019, 03:17:43 PM
Just went for $77K before fees.  We talked about this car before, as it was on e-bay recently.   Tough price for anyone but the buyer!   A red '68 Hemi Charger went for $120K prior to fees, right before it.   The '68 wasn't a numbers car, the C500 came with the original hemi block in a box.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-DODGE-CHARGER-500-229907

Apparently I am part of the 10% crowed that wouldn't hesitate to buy a green car and prefer them over most colors. actually it's at the top of my list of colors that I look for so go figure. If that car actually has a new owner they scored one hell of a car for the price unless their is some shady issues with it.
So if anyone here has a terrible green on green Hemi charger 500 that they just can't bear to own anymore for that price in that condition I would be very interested.  know my question is "did this car actually change hands at that price" or is it possible the owner bought the car back somehow. Anyone know someone that know's someone that maybe know someone who bought the car to confirm it actually changed hands?
1969 charger 500 bugshield addition
1970 cuda 446-6 hole in the hood
1973 charger se 400
1973 sportman van 12 passanger (wife hates this one)

Highbanked Hauler

Have you seen what  Restomods are going for across the board, the prices are screwy on most all of them no matter what the brand is.. From my perch it seems like the younger generation wants the plug and play power, MODERN everything in an older body. You must admit very few of our generation  want to deal with a Model  A  and a points ignition is the kiss of death.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dragon Slayer

I don't get the points are a kiss of death comment?  Also do not understand the buy it back comment. It is an auction and the seller paid a premium to list, and will pay a seller fee based on sale price.  Plus a buyer fee if he also bought it.  So why do that vice not taking reserve off. 

Besides any of the factors about cars, and the car, there also is the stock market and investor end.  I have been told buy older serious collectors that when stock market is doing well, cars do not, and vice versa.  Plus you need at least three really serious buyers to get the higher price.

If anything, BJ might have been a bidder and bought especially if no real action on car.  Personally, I think the days of appreciation are mostly over especially with early 60s cars and moving into the muscle car era too.  Sure Wing cars, probably not yet; and chargers certainly still hot but younger kids not as interested, and by the way many don't make the kind of money the older generation car buyers did.  Look at some of the relatively wealthy middle aged men who have sold off there collection at Mecum.  Their interest have shifted, there children are much more interest in Ferraris and McLarens if rich, so the pool of buyers is shrinking as the pool of sellers is increasing.

Stevetona

There's a TON of Mopars at the Indy auction coming up. Will be interesting. I personally don't like resto-mods. If you want a classic buy an old original car. If you want a modern performing car buy a new Challenger Hellcat or something.  I just bought 2 mopars and they still have the original motors and orange valve covers on them.

Highbanked Hauler

Dragon Slayer, correct me if I am wrong but it seams no one wants a car with a points ignition unless its a numbers restoration :shruggy: I am older than dirt and points ignition is not a problem.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 20, 2019, 05:22:00 PM
Dragon Slayer, correct me if I am wrong but it seams no one wants a car with a points ignition unless its a numbers restoration :shruggy: I am older than dirt and points ignition is not a problem.

I have had points before and if I had a freshly restored distributor, I wouldn't hesitate in using it... I used a dual-point Prestolite in my 1st 440 4speed 69 Charger 500 for a long time. But Al, I guess I'm like you, older than dirt... Just your dirt is older than my dirt..  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

5hunert

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 20, 2019, 11:29:16 PM

I have had points before and if I had a freshly restored distributor, I wouldn't hesitate in using it... I used a dual-point Prestolite in my 1st 440 4speed 69 Charger 500 for a long time. But Al, I guess I'm like you, older than dirt... Just your dirt is older than my dirt..  :icon_smile_big:
:Twocents: we’re talking two very different buying groups.  Old gear heads like us are fine with point ignition as long as they’ve got a screwdriver and a book of matches in the glove box. But for a car that’s being bought by a semi inebriated auction buyer who knows nothing about an old car except it look cool, and will call a shop to fix the car the moment it doesn’t start, points are a problem. 

Dragon Slayer

I am sure folks would rather have electronic ignition, but that is a deal breaker?  Color, engine, interior, transmission type may all be deal breakers, but if that is an original Hemi distributor with tag you could sell that in an hour for $500.  And if your thrifty you can install electronic for about $40.  Or buy new for $200 or so and pocket the profit.  Would you turn down a rare and desirable car because you do not like the hubcaps?

I bought a like new Mopar performance distributor for $5 off craigslist.  Doing a conversion is about an hour with beer break.

I have a 383 car with points.  Totally reliable and I have not even adjusted them after the first tune up and that is over 5 years ago.  Just a weekend cruiser that does see low miles.  Most likely the same driving a fully restored car would get.  But I get it most would rather have electronic.  But of all the things that can be "not right" on a car that you would want to change, having the original Prestolite distributor is not a hard one if you do not want it.  You could shed parts off the hemi motor and make money while getting your electronic ignition, headers, performance manifold and edelbrock carbs, etc....

For me the color, an auto, low option car, Non numbers is what puts it in that price range along with some other factors folks have stated.  If Green is your color and your ok with an auto that was a steal.

birdsandbees

LOL... devalue a car because it has points! What has life come to? Up until my restoration over the past 3 years my Bee has had the same set of points in it since at least '88.. possibly '80. Has never left me stranded and if it did I'd fix it with my pocket knife!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 20, 2019, 11:29:16 PM

HaHa your right Troy, I have a dual point Accel distributor I have had since the early 70S along with a monster of a Blue Streak ACC-560-12 truck and bus coil which I used back in the day and am tempted to stick it back in the 500 and my electronic dist. in my 68 when its ready to go.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi-hampton

I kept my stock factory #'s matching California emission Points Distributor on my 70 440 Dodge Charger R/T but just added the Pertronix electronic ignition that easily bolted under stock cap in place of the points & nobody knew. LEON.

Kowal

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 21, 2019, 09:44:21 PM
I kept my stock factory #'s matching California emission Points Distributor on my 70 440 Dodge Charger R/T but just added the Pertronix electronic ignition that easily bolted under stock cap in place of the points & nobody knew. LEON.

Ditto...works great!