News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 charger spool mount problem

Started by Lewis, May 06, 2019, 11:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis

Hello all, I have a 73 charger originally 340 but previous owner fitted a 383 to it, it has the spool type mounts fitted part number 4001746 and 4001747, it doesn't seem to sit right, seems the engine is higher on the drivers side and I measured the offset from centre of crank to frame rails and it's 3 1/2" but from what I read online it's meant to be 2 1/2" ive had the engine in and out and every time it goes back in it clonks and slides the spool mount to the rear causing the engine to sit twisted, I'm from the uk so don't have the money+ shipping+ vat and tax for Schumacher mounts so trying to work with what I've got, I've grounded of the ear of the k member as it was hitting the oil pump and not seating the mount, but it's still striated, making me think it's the wrong mount fitted but I don't know, it was a nightmare getting the trans mount on as I had to pull the trans over with a lever bar just to get it to align so I could bolt it down, seems to sit to far forward from what I can see on pics online and the Schumacher installation guide I know I don't have the mounts but thought maybe that's how it should sit, I know the engines are offset but mine seems a bit to much, any help would be great

Gold Rush

I don't swear by eBay as a technical source but sometime their sellers do help.  Saw an ad on there selling a set of your engine mounts.  It says they fit 340 and 360 engines.  No mention of 383.  I seem to recall 380 and 400 are the same block but different than 340/360.  You may have answered your own question.

Good luck!!
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Lewis

thank you for your reply, i understand what your saying, so 383 and 400 being the same block i should be able to fit 400 mounts to my 383, also because it was originally a small block car will my k member be different for big block?, so if i were to fit the 400 mounts would it still be an issue because of my k member, also im not sure if the mounts i have are for 340-360 or they are bb i cant find any information when i search the part number? just dont know how to fix this without spending the money on the schumacher mounts, being in the uk if i were to buy them itll come to about $320 to my door, just cant spend that sort of money on mounts

Nacho-RT74

Can't say I'm really understanding the anwswer by GoldRush, but I must say for your knowledgement 73 and lates K members got diff engine mount locations for SB and BB cars, so K member itself changes between BB and SB cars for this reason allong with engine mounts of course. Hence you need to change the K member and the matching engine mounts or get the engine mount "adaptors" by Shumacher. Guess what would be more cost effective for you?

I'm on bed typing from bed on my iPad now but I have the pic of this k member difference on my PC, althought has being posted around if you sarch for it.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Gold Rush

Quote from: Lewis on May 06, 2019, 01:12:00 PM
thank you for your reply, i understand what your saying, so 383 and 400 being the same block i should be able to fit 400 mounts to my 383, also because it was originally a small block car will my k member be different for big block?, so if i were to fit the 400 mounts would it still be an issue because of my k member, also im not sure if the mounts i have are for 340-360 or they are bb i cant find any information when i search the part number? just dont know how to fix this without spending the money on the schumacher mounts, being in the uk if i were to buy them itll come to about $320 to my door, just cant spend that sort of money on mounts

I think I may have mislead you.  I looked at that eBay posting again   It appears the mounts you have are probably the one for the 400 engine and I've been told that is the same block as the 383.  eBay also showed a second posting with engine mounts (P/N 4001744 & 4001745) as the correct ones for a 340 and 360 engine.  NACHO is very knowledgeable about these things so I'm betting his advise is correct.

Sorry for the confusion.   :icon_smile_blackeye:
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Lewis

Hello nacho hope all is well, you'll helped me a couple years ago with a problems I had so I appreciate you getting back to me on the situation I have, I sort of figured the k frame was different but without the full knowledge I couldn't say for sure, now you have backed that up I know longer have to guess, finding another k frame in the uk bb and 73 isnt going to happen seeing as there's not a great deal of these cars over here so it'll have to be the swap mounts, just so expensive to ship, thank you for our help I appreciate it, oh and gold rush thank you, you haven't misled me any information is help so I appreciate you getting involved :)