News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper Switch Wiring (OE vs Painless)

Started by 73-Charger-Canada, April 18, 2019, 08:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-Charger-Canada

Good morning, hoping somebody has already tackled this problem. Car is a 73 Charger with 2 speed wipers. So, last year when my wipers didn't work, I threw in a new wiper motor. Still didn't work (because I didn't trouble shoot properly) and it ended up being the switch. Put in a new switch (original 70s dodge), it worked for the afternoon, then didn't work after. Thought the switch was faulty, got another one. Blew that one up too! So I've triple grounded everything, and I got a "painless" wiring switch. So the mopar switch as I understand it wires as follows:

A = Brown w/ White (Armature)
B = Pink (12 Volt Input)
P = Blue (Park)
W = Brown (Washer Pump Motor)
F1 – Red (Field 1)
F2 = Green (Field 2)
B/U = No Connection

The painless switch wires as follows:
FULLY COUNTERCLOCKWISE (OFF): B/3
ONE CLICK CLOCKWISE: B/2
FULLY CLOCKWISE: B/1
PUSH KNOB IN: B/W
B: BATTERY POWER
W: WASHER

In your expert opinions, which wires should go to which connector on the new switch!?
Thanks a million

73-Charger-Canada

Update:

I've hooked up the switch in the way that seems most appropriate. I hooked up the battery terminal on the mopar harness to the battery terminal on the painless switch, and all of the terminals get 12v! Regardless of the position of the switch. What the hell? Bad switch I guess, I'll call painless. I know something is working, because the washer squirter is getting power when I push the button in. Yikes

73-Charger-Canada

Second Update

Doing this in case anyone finds this helpful. So, I found a guide written up online about which terminals have to be live in each position. The OE switches are complicated in this regard, but as long as they don't blow, work awesome (which is why I assume not many people have had these problems). So, here's the wiring way that works if you're doing this:

Stock Harness --> Painless Switch
A = Brown w/ White (Armature) ---> position 1
B = Pink (12 Volt Input) --> Position B
P = Blue (Park) --> Position 3
W = Brown (Washer Pump Motor) --> Position W
F1 – Red (Field 1) ---> Position 2
F2 = Green (Field 2) --> Switch Ground
B/U = No Connection

Also, by doing this all one step at a time, I found my initial problem! It seems my "Park" wire (blue) has a short in it somewhere. I had everything else hooked up, and got my low and high speeds working without blowing any fuses (I placed a 5 amp fuse in-line on my 12v battery wire). As soon as I hooked up the "Park" wire, the fuse blows, indicating a short somewhere. Once I get that sussed out, or figure out an alternative, I'll be able to 'park' the wipers again. But for now at least I've got low and high. If anyone is still reading and has suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them!