News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to Get Bars Connected to K-Frame Off

Started by ChargedNJ, April 21, 2019, 10:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargedNJ

Hey guys.  anyone know how to get these bars off without taking off k-frame?  Any help is appreciated!

JB400

Those are your torsion bars, aka. springs.  You need to loosen the pressure with the bolts on the lower side of the lower control arms.  Also, the make a clamp that clamps on the bar, and allows you to smack it with a hammer

Mike DC

No disrespect, but it sounds like you don't know enough about this stuff to be taking it apart. 

Trying to remove the front wheel springs without understanding that's what they are . . .  um, that might not end well.  People wind up in the hospital every day from much smaller goofs than that.   

Kern Dog

In the OPs defense, he did refer to them as BARS. If he said rods or shafts, I'd be worried.

ChargedNJ

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 21, 2019, 01:35:41 PM

No disrespect, but it sounds like you don't know enough about this stuff to be taking it apart. 

No offense taken. I actually appreciate that. I like all my fingers/toes.  I'm actually pretty handy..just didn't know what they were. I get the idea now though..pressurized springs; remove with care. I'll watch a few vids and handle later in the week. Thanks so much!!

Mike DC

Cool.

Also, it's important not to scratch/nick the surface of the torsion bars (assuming you intend to re-use them).  Nicks grow into cracks once the bars are put back into service and pretty soon the bar snaps in half.  Very shallow nicks can be polished out but deeper ones spell trouble. 

This is why special torsion bar removal tools exist for Mopars.  They grab the T-bar with a big enough surface area to avoid that kind of surface damage.  It's not that hard to make your own if you can fabricate stuff. 

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.